United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs down Terry Pratchett - Alzheimer's

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle3042608.ece

Honestly - am bloody gutted about this.

One of the people on this planet who make life a hell of a lot better.

Read most of his books - still a couple to tick off the list - and he has really brought so much humour to the Quigster's life.

Everything he touched turned to Glod (http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Creosote

and I reckon once I have finished 'Making Money' - a trip to Good Omens may be worthwhile.

Damn - I hate bad news on a Thursday morning

Old 13-12-2007, 06:34 AM
thatsfuctit

hideous hideous condition.

Old 13-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Jez Quigley

Default yes

and - yupes, I am stomping my feet now and displaying the rationale of a 7 year old - why are Robert Mugabe, Mladic, Charles Taylor etc. all alive and kicking whereas some gentle writer who seems to have done fuck all apart from write highly amusing books gets this?

Where's Cohen the Barbarian or Rincewind when you need them? They would eventually find somebody who could help him?

Honestly - one of my real life heroes, his humour is so, I don't know, on the ball and really has brought so much happiness into the world.

Old 13-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Mr_Ed

Look on the bright side... at least he can hide his own Christmas presents this year.

Old 13-12-2007, 08:46 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Look on the bright side... at least he can hide his own Christmas presents this year.

Not being arsey honest, because I know the gags are out there, and it raised a mild from me, but having seen it up close, it is a horrible disease.

Old 13-12-2007, 08:57 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Not being arsey honest, because I know the gags are out there, and it raised a mild from me, but having seen it up close, it is a horrible disease.
I agree thanks for your advice a few months ago

Old 13-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Jez Quigley

Default Agreed

thatsfuctit, not a nice thing to have.

Fuck me though, talk about a carbon footprint, if there were such a thing as a humour footprint, he would be Bigfoot or an Eskimo wearing those snow shoes.

I realise this is a bit Partridege-esque but I don't care. TP has brought me loads of laughs and he's a top bloke.

For the non-readers who fancy a try,I would go for Good Omens. Hollywood has had the option to turn this into a film - I bet they do it like with Douglas Adams, wait till he dies then do an abortion of a movie.

Anyway, at least he will still be around for a while - at least he will get good care etc. I would imagine.

Old 13-12-2007, 09:00 AM
red red robbo

Jez, Good Omens is a great book, very funny.

Gutted about this as well, it's just not Christmas without a Terry Pratchett book in the old stocking.

This along with the ridiculously early death of Douglas Adams will have deprived me of years of reading the funniest books ever written

Old 13-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Jez, Good Omens is a great book, very funny.

Gutted about this as well, it's just not Christmas without a Terry Pratchett book in the old stocking.

This along with the ridiculously early death of Douglas Adams will have deprived me of years of reading the funniest books ever written
Agreed

Was watching an old episode of Spooks the other day where 2 spies go to that park (St James?) opposite Buckingham Palace and I thought of GO, where the swans become experts and choosy on different types of Bulgarian, Russian etc. bread due to all the spies having their meetings thereand feeding them at the same time

Would make an ace film - I hope they do it whilst he is still alive and do it well.

As the Wee Free Men would say, 'Waily waily waily' indeed

Old 13-12-2007, 09:14 AM
puressence

take it from someone who worked with people with this condition .. if i got it id rather be dead . its fucking heartbreaking
Closed Thread