United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Mr_Ed

Football Terry Pratchett

I've seen Sky flogging an adaptation of his 'Going Postal' which looks a bit 'odd'.

Having never read any of his books I put it out to the forum to inform me whether a) it's worth a watch, b) his books are worth a read and c) Are his books better than Harry Potter? (Not that I've read them either)...

Old 19-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Gruber

Default Re: Terry Pratchett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I've seen Sky flogging an adaptation of his 'Going Postal' which looks a bit 'odd'.

Having never read any of his books I put it out to the forum to inform me whether a) it's worth a watch, b) his books are worth a read and c) Are his books better than Harry Potter? (Not that I've read them either)...
I tried to read one of his books once, I got about 10 pages in and sacked it off. f***ing drivel if you ask me.

My c*** of a lunatic ex wife thought he was the greatest writer of all time motwyw

Old 19-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Baron

I've only read one of his Discworld books... it's not dissimilar humour to Blackadder. I appreciated the humour & some of it is quite savage as well but I'm just not into the whole wizards scene tbf kazzam.

Old 19-05-2010, 10:46 AM
pcp

If you haven't read any of his books then the TV adaptations might seem ok-ish, not fussed on them myself as they are very childish, whereas the books are aimed squarely at adults.

His books are satire, and they're f***ing excellent, asking are they better than harry potter is like asking is a steak better than missing the last train home, not comparable.

Old 19-05-2010, 11:01 AM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
a) Possibly
b) Definitely
c) Infinitely

I'm not into wizards and trolls and all that stuff, and apart from the Discworld books I don't bother with it. But his books are fantastically entertaining (he's done plenty that are set int he real world, for anyone dead-set against werewolves and witches and that)

Old 19-05-2010, 11:28 AM
red red robbo

Books are well worth a read, although you have a hell of a lot of catching up to do

The two previous TV adaptations have been pretty good and Going Postal was one of my favourite of his books.

He's not as good a writer as Douglas Adams was though

Old 19-05-2010, 12:54 PM
dunk

Tried to get into one of his Discworld series that I was given. Just couldn't get going with it. I have been encouraged by a few people to persevere though, supposedly brilliant once you are into them.

Old 19-05-2010, 12:59 PM
treme

He writes books about wizards ffs.

Any grown man who reads his books needs a good shoeing.

Old 19-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Albert Tatlock

Poor guy has alsheimers iirc.

Old 19-05-2010, 01:18 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by treme
Any grown man who reads his books needs a good shoeing.
Who'll dish it out, you?
Closed Thread