United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-10-2016, 09:11 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Quite ridiculous how good the average plodder that makes it as a pro is when compared to non-pro's.
It is the most competitive sport in the world, with so many levels to crack before you even have a chance to think about a pro career. I play against some ex Irish league players in the Belfast area and they take the piss, and most of the guys I play with are very fit, play seriously for decent amateur teams and very competitive.

Even the shit players in the PL are super talents.

Unread 03-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Turin

I played 5 a side a few times with a lad (when i say lad he was about 45 in 2000) who played on the same team as George Best when Georgie was in the US. LA Aztecs i think.

He was rubbish, but by that stage he was a serious dope fiend. Still better than Fellaini though.

Unread 03-10-2016, 09:39 PM
thatsfuctit

About 18 years ago we entered a works team into a charidee 5 aside comp, in our group was Bradford City, Kamara was manager at the time and played as did a very young Andy O'Brien, and a 60 year old kit man - the thing that struck me about Kamara (who you think of as a journeyman grafter) was how £#%&!ing light on his feet he was, they were just pinging one touch passes around whilst we chased our tails, kicking them was an option, couldn't £#%&!ing get near them

Unread 03-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Billy Redface

There's a load of videos of Maradona playing futsal knocking around on YouTube. Just insane.

That one where Ronaldinho is passing the ball between himself and the crossbar

Unread 03-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Zorg

Saying that, I did nutmeg Trevor Morley when I was 12, and he went 'oh you little bastard'. So they're not all good.

(think ive posted that about every six months)

Unread 03-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Saying that, I did nutmeg Trevor Morley when I was 12, and he went 'oh you little bastard'. So they're not all good.

(think ive posted that about every six months)
He's a notorious francophobe to be fair.

In addition to my David May anecdote, I played against Fergie and some other United staff in 1988.

As above, the speed of thought just destroyed us young lads - humbling stuff. Pretty sure Kiddo was there too.

Unread 04-10-2016, 04:35 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It is the most competitive sport in the world, with so many levels to crack before you even have a chance to think about a pro career.
This is what is boils down to.

Anyone being paid to play can be labelled as a 'good' player, but the level from good to world class is more granular than the richter scale.

Unread 04-10-2016, 07:16 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Quite ridiculous how good the average plodder that makes it as a pro is when compared to non-pro's.
Isnt it? I had a mate who signed schoolboy forms as cenrr half with bolton. He never made it but compared to the rest of us he was ronaldo.

Unread 04-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Jez Quigley

Really does put the 'I could have made it if I hadn't have hit the booze at 16' brigade into their place.

The flip side is I was in the same team as somebody who went to Blackburn, broke his leg and went on to be a leading sports lawyer and he wasn't in the top 3 players in our team. Lot of luck involved too.

Unread 04-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It is the most competitive sport in the world, with so many levels to crack before you even have a chance to think about a pro career. I play against some ex Irish league players in the Belfast area and they take the piss, and most of the guys I play with are very fit, play seriously for decent amateur teams and very competitive.

Even the shit players in the PL are super talents.
But not Fellaini.

Unread 04-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Zorg

I could have made it if I'd had the required talent, dedication and luck, tbf.

Unread 04-10-2016, 10:42 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
And athletic prowess, coordination, bottle etc.

Unread 05-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

i could have made it* if i had the right sized boots ever. long toes short shoes equals £#%&!ed knees. think on bigfoot kids. i was the best kid in the playground in trainers but bang average in the games in my boots

* to training more often

Unread 05-10-2016, 10:49 PM
marlo

I've played 5-a-side with samir, frank, Karim to name a few.... the difference in quality is staggering! they can do what they want with the ball at any one time...

Unread 05-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
I've played 5-a-side with samir, frank, Karim to name a few.... the difference in quality is staggering! they can do what they want with the ball at any one time...
Sidebottom?

Unread 05-10-2016, 10:52 PM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Sidebottom?
Stapleton

Unread 05-10-2016, 10:53 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Those as well yes.

Unread 06-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Stickman

Sean Maloney was the only player from my age group to make it in Aberdeen that I know of and he was probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the league. One of my team mates was THE guy but a complete piss Head. Whilst Dundee United were releasing him for being overweight at 16-17 Maloney was getting his head down at Celtic on his way to becoming young player and player of the year in the same season.

Attitude and work ethos comes into it hugely at that level when it comes to hitting the next level. If you put in the extra hours on top of the talent you give yourself a way better chance at being top class.

As an aside, Maloney is or at least was, absolutely amazing at tennis.

Unread 06-10-2016, 04:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Football

Quote:
Those as well yes.
Soz pal.

Unread 07-10-2016, 10:47 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Fellaini has none of the above and he's played nearly 100 games for Manchester United. The utter @#%&!.
Closed Thread