United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Grimson

Default Ronaldo (fat) is on The Simpsons tonight.

No spoilers, but at one point he raises his arms in celebration and says, in broken English, "Yes! Another family ruined by Ronaldo!"

I'm not making this up.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Grimson

Another United reference too, not altogether flattering.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:27 AM
TreeFiddy

Yeah it's true. I bet it's another crap new episode though. I don't know why they keep putting guest stars in every episode. They could get back the glory days with a little more dedication and hard work.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:27 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Another United reference too, not altogether flattering.
Have you seen the one where they go to England and Homer says "Giggs got a yellow card in the box!" ?

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Have you seen the one where they go to England and Homer says "Giggs got a yellow card in the box!" ?
Yep.

You are right, this one wasn't very good. But some of the new ones this season have been.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:33 AM
TreeFiddy

I've not watched that many this season - I'll download them all when I can be arsed - but I'm a huge Simpsons fan. Some people think it's not been good for many years but I loved it up until about season 15 when the episodes just became poor. It's sad to admit really because it's still my all time favourite show. Watching the DVDs of earlier seasons reminds me just how great it was - I still spot new funny bits on the tenth, twentieth or fiftieth viewing.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:36 AM
DinGbAt

The Simpsons at its peak was by far the greatest television show ever.

What was the United reference?

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Grimson

Lisa was watching a "documentary" of a United match in 1985, against a fictional opponent. There was a riot, and it is still going on today.

I think the glory days of The Simpsons was largely down to Conan O'Brien.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Serenity Now

Haven't seen the latest series, but whenever I've watched it over the past few years I've always been a little disappointed with the quality of the writing. In the desire to create humorous or wacky situations I think they've moved too far from the more realistic and often character based plots that were the real strength of the programme.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:44 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinGbAt
The Simpsons at its peak was by far the greatest television show ever.
Without a doubt. I'd be interested to know how you define its peak though. For me it was brilliant right up until season 13/14 excluding season one which wasn't particularly funny but served as an important introduction. The golden years for me were seasons 4-10. Could maybe narrow that down to 6/7/8/9.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Grimson

Season One was unrelentingly unfunny. I think it flourished then on the novelty, but it was basically Bart saying "Don't have a cow, man" and Homer going "Grrrr."

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:51 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Season One was unrelentingly unfunny. I think it flourished then on the novelty, but it was basically Bart saying "Don't have a cow, man" and Homer going "Grrrr."
Absolutely. It was the worst season and I'll only buy it on DVD when I need it to complete the collection. However, it was a necessary starting point in a series which saw the characters, the town and the comedy evolve each season. It also needed to first test the water with what people would like and not be too daring and break from the "dysfunctional family" mould. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about how far it came from that first terrible season!

Some of the funniest quotes I use are from the first season, simply laughing at how bad the comedy was. "Listen to me boy! Grrrr"

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Absolutely. It was the worst season and I'll only buy it on DVD when I need it to complete the collection. However, it was a necessary starting point in a series which saw the characters, the town and the comedy evolve each season. It also needed to first test the water with what people would like and not be too daring and break from the "dysfunctional family" mould. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about how far it came from that first terrible season!

Some of the funniest quotes I use are from the first season, simply laughing at how bad the comedy was. "Listen to me boy! Grrrr"
Remember that episode hosted by Troy McClure, for the 321st episode special or something like that? They showed a clip of the first episode, then cut back to Troy with a 'wtf' look on his face - and then he noticed the camera on him and pretended to laugh.

Unread 23-04-2007, 12:57 AM
TreeFiddy

138th episode spectacular!

It wasn't actually footage from an early episode - it was a pisstake...I think.

Unread 23-04-2007, 01:01 AM
DinGbAt

'Get out of my office!'

I love the concept art of Krusty the Clown.

Serenity Now

Quote:

I believe it was taken from the original Tracey Ullman shorts, no?

Grimson

Quote:

I think Serenity is right about the Tracey Ullman shorts.

Phil Hartman's death really hurt the show. No more Troy McClure or Lionel Hutz.

Unread 23-04-2007, 01:06 AM
DinGbAt

Unread 23-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I believe it was taken from the original Tracey Ullman shorts, no?
Tracey Ullman shorts

Unread 23-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Phil Hartman's death really hurt the show. No more Troy McClure or Lionel Hutz.
I still can't get over how £#%&!ed up that was. Couldn't believe it when I first heard it.
Closed Thread