United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:15 AM
MJ Ramone

Wayne Rooney was MOTM for me.

Fletcher was great, but we needed 2 goals in that second half DESPERATELY...& he took them both so well.
Other than that he worked his balls off...he had to play a lone striker role in the first half (against Maldini & Nesta!) with no support from midfield.
2nd half he started coming off his marker a few yards & turning to run at them.
He really set the tempo & forced Milan back.

Look, I'm bias as £#%&! because I love the lad. He's my favourite player at the Club.
I'm SO pleased that he's come good this last month or so.
I knew he had a few important goals up his sleeve this season.
Let's hope there's more to come....

..starting with silencing the 'boo-boys' at Goodison on Saturday.

Unread 25-04-2007, 02:36 AM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by roterteufel
then heinze
you do realize that a football match has two halves right? Heinze was £#%&!ing £#%&! in the first half! Played decent in the second though.

MOM was Fletch.

£#%&! me, I need a drink after saying that!

Unread 25-04-2007, 04:22 AM
DinGbAt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
but only once he set up Rooney's first goal.

Before that, he was misplacing passes, giving away possession, and signally failing to support Rooney and Ronaldo. Afterwards, he looked exactly like Paul Scholes again. Go figure.
Correct. I was just about to say to my mate 'Scholes has been shite' when he picked out a moment of genius. After that he ran everything, drove our attack, surged into the box.

Fletcher did play well again in a big match (interesting to note) but how can anyone not give Rooney MOTM? 2 Great goals especially the second from pretty much only 2 clear chances, also worked extremely hard in a role that doesn't really suit him. Clear MOTM and a reminder of how great he can be in a season dominated by Ronaldo. Don't let any of us forget the talent of Rooney on form.

Err, i just got home by the way, i should stop reading shite football forums.

Unread 25-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Stone Monkey

What was the home leg score in 99 against Juve?

Unread 25-04-2007, 11:08 AM
MUFC One Love

Giggs? He was woeful and looked terrified.

Fletcher, Rooney and Carrick.

Unread 25-04-2007, 11:30 AM
dodger

Kaka

Unread 25-04-2007, 11:33 AM
puressence

gattuso super fletch

Unread 25-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Lodestar

Scholes - turned the game. But Gattuso let the shackles off him when he went off. Milan wilted after that and couldn't pick him up.

Unread 25-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Sloppy

Fletchinio for me.He only got a 6 in the Sun and Giggs got 8

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:41 PM
fergieslovechild

Fletcher!!!

It was like watching Robbo at his peek.

Did I really just type that?

Note to self, check for gas leak.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:45 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

fletch, carrick, wazza, scholesy all class!

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:59 PM
The Return of JC

Rooney.

The only player who either played well for the full 90 or wasn't at fault for goals.

Kaka faded badly second half. Nesta wasn't strong enough against Rooney, but otherwise great.
Carrick and Scholes, although both great towards the end, failed to impose until we equalised.
Giggs was patchy.
Heinze and Evra at fault for goals.
Ronaldo - I'm a little concerned. One or two bad habits creeping into his game in the last few games. Hope he's not starting to believe his own hype to the point of doing it all himself.

Rooney fought a lone battle, ugly job to do and still managed two goals.

Easily him. Followed by Fletcher.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Tiberian

Second half we kept both Giggs and Ronaldo very wide, stretched the pitch, left more room for the midfield to dictate. We did not have the interchange of positions between Giggs/Rooney/Ronaldo that we are used to, they were playing more defined roles to suit the needs of the team on a given night.

Ronaldo is looking slightly jaded.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Tropical

Default Ronaldo

wasn't so much jaded, to my eye, as marshaled throughout by Milan doubling or tripling up on him.

Which of course means two or three fewer players to attend to matters elsewhere; so even then, he's doing his job.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Jack Duckworth

1. fletcher
2. carrick
3. rooney

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
wasn't so much jaded, to my eye, as marshaled throughout by Milan doubling or tripling up on him.

Which of course means two or three fewer players to attend to matters elsewhere; so even then, he's doing his job.
He looks mentally tired to me, not getting his head up, playing on instinct, running with the ball all the time, instead of realizing that if he draws defenders to him and releases the ball quickly there will be a lot of space elsewhere. Some attribute that to selfishness, but what has been so impressive about his game this season is that he has been using his brain a lot more, making more of the right decisions.

Last night he was still trying to beat 3 men when we had huge space infield, and being tied down to the left wing for much of the game left him with fewer options.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Tropical

Default Fair point

(and fair play to the person I watched the game with, who observed the same thing),

but there's a question of whether he stayed wide because he wanted to, or had been instructed to - he usually cuts infield as often as not. Impossible for us to know, I suppose.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:33 PM
DinGbAt

I don't think he is mentally tired or jaded. I think Ronaldo's problem is he gets too psyched up before the big european games, comes out flying and tries to win the game by himself. In the first half every time he got the ball he was charging at the defence trying to score a wondergoal, and ended up giving the ball away or shooting from impossible positions. This tired him out and he was much more quiet in the second half. He needs to learn to calm down, but this will come with experience. Rooney seems to be learning this and his increasing maturity showed last night.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Man of the match was Rooney.

Agree with all of what JC said.

As good as Fletcher was, I dare say you could find someone that could do what he did last night. Not sure you could find someone else to do what Rooney did.

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:58 PM
MakeBelieve

Rooney, Kaka, Fletcher
Closed Thread