Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-09-2008, 10:31 AM
borsuk

Default bye bye giggs the winger, hello giggs the central m/fder

interesting comments from fergie

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]New role for Ryan
Ryan Giggs will be used as a deep-lying striker or a central midfielder this season as Sir Alex Ferguson tries to best utilise the Welshman’s energies.

The sight of United’s no.11 tearing up and down the flanks at Old Trafford will, but for very few occasions, now be confined to memory.

The 34-year-old played in a more central role in the Reds' 3-1 win over Middlesbrough on Tuesday, and fans can get used to seeing Giggs perform there much more frequently this term.

“He’s been fantastic this season, absolutely brilliant,” beams Sir Alex. “But what we have to do is manage him. He is looking absolutely brilliant now, but we also want to have him nice and fresh at the end of the season. He can decide games for you, that’s the great quality he has.

“I see his role as a central player, where we played him the other night,” the boss adds. “The days of trampling up and down that touchline for Ryan, at 34 years of age, are gone. He can maybe do it occasionally, but I think that is beyond him now.”

Managing the players within his ample squad is arguably the toughest task facing Sir Alex this season. The sheer volume of talent at his fingertips makes the selection process potentially more testing than it has ever been before. But Sir Alex insists he is content to disappoint players every now and again for the sake of the team, and also the players themselves.

“When you have got a squad of players and everyone is fit, you have a problem,” he said. “You have a problem picking the substitutions, never mind the first eleven. It’s always the case that if you want to win something – and we always want to win something – you need to have a strong squad. That has paid dividends for this club. Other clubs have the same mentality now.”

The changing face of the modern game doesn’t soften the blow on a Saturday when Sir Alex informs a clutch of internationals that they have not made his 18-man matchday squad.

“The players understand it, but that doesn’t mean to say they accept it,” he says. “Some players realise the mechanics of the situation. But when it’s your turn to sit out, you don’t like it.

“That’s OK with me, I don’t mind that. It tells me that they all want to play. I’d rather that than some player saying, ‘It’s a tough game, I don’t fancy it today’. We don’t have players like that, and you never want players that are quite happy sitting on the bench.”

there's still no-one in the squad, and few in the game, with the vision and creativity of giggs. what a player.

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Tumescent Throb

ha

ridiculous

he should've quit last season

he was just being nursed over Charlton's record out of sympathy

according to the eejits on here

what the £#%&! does Ferguson mean by saying Giggs is a match-winner ffs

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:12 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
ha

ridiculous

he should've quit last season

he was just being nursed over Charlton's record out of sympathy

according to the eejits on here

what the £#%&! does Ferguson mean by saying Giggs is a match-winner ffs
He means match-winner for the opposition as he showed at anfield

joking

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
He means match-winner for the opposition as he showed at anfield

joking
shouldn't you be counting sand or something

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:19 AM
History

Giggs>O'shea...Please never play O'shea in midfield again. Would of rather had giggs come on at Chelsea than that conman pretending to be a footballer

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Giggs>O'shea...Please never play O'shea in midfield again. Would of rather had giggs come on at Chelsea than that conman pretending to be a footballer
bizarre post

Giggs is absolute class

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:26 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
bizarre post

Giggs is absolute class
No question about that

Although if giggs is really a centre mid why is O'shea getting the nod ahead at Chelsea. Still can't my head around it.

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
No question about that

Although if giggs is really a centre mid why is O'shea getting the nod ahead at Chelsea. Still can't my head around it.
obviously tactical

in fairness to O'Shoite, the keeper should've come for that FK imo

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Ether

I remember Giggs and O'Shea doing very well in midfield together for a spell. I think Ryan could play with anyone though to be fair.

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:43 AM
armchair

I remember Giggs in cm in the cl years ago absolutely destroying porto

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:45 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I remember Giggs in cm in the cl years ago absolutely destroying porto
I remember fat ronaldo absolutely destroying us at old trafford.

not that it matters now, ain't it?

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:47 AM
armchair

Quote:

Yeah I forgot about giggs going off the rails with those trans. stfu you plank

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Jez Quigley

Default Agreed

Giggs is a genuine, top to bottom Utd legend through and through. Love him to bits.

I think he and Scholes have loads to offer sparingly too for a while longer.

Btw, I had a newspaper cutting of him on my wall when a student in Germany - 17 yrs ago. Think about that. 17yrs.

Think of all that you have done in that time - Giggs has pretty much been the best at his particular job in the country in all of that time. A competitive, physical job - he deserves all our respect at the very least.

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:50 AM
CockOfTheNorth

Fat Ronaldo's an alcoholic and smokes 50 a day, he couldn't even do that against our academy now.

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Ether

Quote:

See if you can spot the difference there. Fat Ronaldo, and a Ryan Giggs whose endurance tests were once again the best at the club over the summer.

Unread 27-09-2008, 11:54 AM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
See if you can spot the difference there. Fat Ronaldo, and a Ryan Giggs whose endurance tests were once again the best at the club over the summer.
Don't get soo haughty!!

I love giggs though. But was just pointing that post glories are meaningless unless they are just for rememberance after someone has retired...

I don't think anyone united/non-united fan can say that giggs isn't a football legend.

There are just a few footballers who will be loved ( at least respected ) by almost everyone in football like giggs, maldini, zanetti, zidane, fat ronaldo, cristiano ronaldo....

Unread 27-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
interesting comments from fergie

He means as a centre forward, no?

Unread 27-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I love giggs though. But was just pointing that post glories are meaningless unless they are just for rememberance after someone has retired...
que

Unread 27-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Spiffy

Who is he going to bench? Hargreaves or Carrick? Maybe Scholes? There's no room for Giggs in midfield and he's got 1 or 2 seasons left at best. Don't £#%&! about for a few months accommodating Giggs, stick to playing players in their best positions and if say Nani commands a place in the side ahead of Giggs, so be it.

Unread 27-09-2008, 01:12 PM
marlo stansfield

isnt mobile enough to play in our midfield nowadays tbh.

cant see him keeping anderson,fletcher, carrick or hargreaves on the bench and we all ready have problems with our three strikers as it is.
Closed Thread