United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:09 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Unlike you I don’t base my opinion of footballers depending on what postcode they’re from.
He’s actually from the worlds greatest postcode

But he’s still bobbins

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The opposite of that is true.
You, like so many others, nailed your colours to the mast where Rashford is concerned 4 years ago.

You were utterly convinced he was going to be world class and the next big thing. When he hasn't turned out that way you'll blame everything but him. It'll be the managers fault, or injuries, or where he's being played or the £#%&!ing colour of his shorts.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Shit is as shit does, and the boy has been shit for longer than he was ‘good’.
Not so long ago Sterling was a brainless speed merchant who couldn’t finish that City had wasted £50m on...

Quote:
You, like so many others, nailed your colours to the mast where Rashford is concerned 4 years ago.

You were utterly convinced he was going to be world class and the next big thing. When he hasn't turned out that way you'll blame everything but him. It'll be the managers fault, or injuries, or where he's being played or the £#%&!ing colour of his shorts.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Sparky***

Yeah exactly. You can’t argue because the proof is in the pudding.

Nigh on 200 first team appearances and he’s no better than 4 years ago

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Clownbones

He's talented. He's been good. He's been shit.

He's shit right now. Some of it is the managers fault. Some of it is his fault.

Next season massive for the lad. A manager that likes him, will play him centrally and it's his fourth season at the club. The more conditions suit him like that, the more his development is on him.

There isn't a single player I want to do well more than him.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:18 PM
dunk

Quote:

I can’t argue the future pal, it’s not happened yet. And if anyone nailed their colours to the mast on the lad it was you, your investment in him being shit far outweighs anything positive anyone says.

As for trusting your judgement on his development since his debut

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

That second part is largely true.

You can say he is stronger now, but there is no one aspect of his play that you can say is considerably better. From the ages of 17-21, that's a concern.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:24 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
That second part is largely true.

You can say he is stronger now, but there is no one aspect of his play that you can say is considerably better. From the ages of 17-21, that's a concern.
As rubbish as he has been lately I feel his development was stunted by Mourinho shunting him out on the wing. Same goes for Martial, though I'm sure that was under LvG and only because Depay turned out shit for us. Either way, they're two strikers who should have played there; but as usual the club seems content to put round pegs in square holes.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I can’t argue the future pal, it’s not happened yet. And if anyone nailed their colours to the mast on the lad it was you, your investment in him being shit far outweighs anything positive anyone says.

Genuine, non-facetious question:

At what point would you be concerned that he isn't good enough?

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:29 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
As rubbish as he has been lately I feel his development was stunted by Mourinho shunting him out on the wing. Same goes for Martial, though I'm sure that was under LvG and only because Depay turned out shit for us. Either way, they're two strikers who should have played there; but as usual the club seems content to put round pegs in square holes.
Think Van Gaal mentioned he played mainly as a LW at Monaco but could be used in a number of positions.

I don’t see a problem with playing either out wide as they’re learning their trade tbh and I don’t think either are ready to our main strikers IF we want to compete at the highest level in the short term.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Genuine, non-facetious question:

At what point would you be concerned that he isn't good enough?
There's always that concern with a 21 year old. Doesn't mean you write the £#%&!er off in the midst of a dip the whole club is suffering from

Let's be honest, he was really good from Ole's arrival to the Liverpool game, and had flashes under Mou, so although he struggled this season to say he's been shit throughout the season is disingenuous.

He needs to kick on next year, nqat, but as mentioned, it wasn't so long ago there were whispers that City were ready to let Sterling go for similar reasons to those complaining about Rashford, Young players do not develop in linear fashion..

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Clownbones

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
I think even his biggest detractors would have to admit that his being £#%&!ed around has not helped him.

In what should he his formative years, he's been part of a spell of turmoil at a directionless club.

Contrast with someone like sterling, who has spent the last three years playing for a magnificent team under a magnificent manager.

But he STILL has a responsibility to improve himself.

Robbie Fowler emerged around 4 years after Liverpool's last title side, at a time when they were like we are now. And he stood out.

Quote:
There's always that concern with a 21 year old. Doesn't mean you write the £#%&!er off in the midst of a dip the whole club is suffering from

Let's be honest, he was really good from Ole's arrival to the Liverpool game, and had flashes under Mou, so although he struggled this season to say he's been shit throughout the season is disingenuous.

He needs to kick on next year, nqat, but as mentioned, it wasn't so long ago there were whispers that City were ready to let Sterling go for similar reasons to those complaining about Rashford, Young players do not develop in linear fashion..
All fair enough.

I'm convinced that knock against Liverpool is still with him. He's never been the same since.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:32 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Think Van Gaal mentioned he played mainly as a LW at Monaco but could be used in a number of positions.

I don’t see a problem with playing either out wide as they’re learning their trade tbh and I don’t think either are ready to our main strikers IF we want to compete at the highest level in the short term.
Agreed they're not ready (if they ever will be) to lead the line but still think Rashford in particular being placed there hasn't helped much. Think they should have been rotated maybe a bit more with Zlatan but Mou was never gonna drop his main man. I just don't think either of them have been particularly good on the wing, though Martial definitely has more promise there for me.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

No quite the opposite. You can go back through my old posts and i was as exited about him as everyone else.

However, 4 years down the line I think it's safe to say that I've changed my mind and I can't see any development in him at all.

He's a decent player but take away his speed and there's very little exceptional talent there.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:37 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
No quite the opposite. You can go back through my old posts and i was as exited about him as everyone else.

However, 4 years down the line I think it's safe to say that I've changed my mind and I can't see any development in him at all.

He's a decent player but take away his speed and there's very little exceptional talent there.
Ok pal. Enjoy it.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Ok pal. Enjoy it.
See, now you're getting tetchy because you can't argue against me.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
See, now you're getting tetchy because you can't argue against me.

It doesn't matter what I say, you're so deeply entrenched in the 'everything and everyone at United is shit' mantra that any talking to you is utterly redundant.

Far from tetchy, just not wasting my time.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
It doesn't matter what I say, you're so deeply entrenched in the 'everything and everyone at United is shit' mantra that any talking to you is utterly redundant.

Deary me mate. That's not the case at all.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:46 PM
dunk

Quote:
I've been reading your posts; it most definitely is.

I think you need a break tbh.

Unread 18-05-2019, 06:48 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
it really is
Closed Thread