United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Mr_Ed

Default I can't help but respect Wenger

Sure he's a moaning @#%&! when he loses but what top manager isn't? He also speaks the truth about the game too...

Wenger said: "What is worrying for me is that a player signs somewhere and then the next day he does not even know where he has signed. You cannot say that is a good trend.

Real Madrid's long-running pursuit of Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has also come in for criticism from Wenger.

"You cannot come out and say 'we pay £250,000-a-week to Ronaldo and £135million', when the player has a six-year contract with Manchester United," he said.

Unread 12-09-2008, 12:04 AM
utd99

But objectivity is a craze that will never catch on round these 'ere parts.

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

I disagree, the man is a sore loser and all round unpleasant. That said all great managers were/are @#%&!s and I can't take anything away from his record as a manager.

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Coracao

What are his opinions on paying pittance for players who have been at clubs academies for years?

That surely isn't a good trend either. And yes, I know we're guilty of it too, but they are by far the worst offenders.

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

He's only saying that to suit his agenda. If he had his way there would be a transfer cap of £5m.

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Zorg

As a manager you cannot argue with his amazing record.

As a man he's a whingeing crybaby and a very poor loser - rarely congratulates his opponents unlike Ferguson.

Unread 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Gavp

6 year contract???

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Gazw649

Wait till arsenal want someone who cost around £20mill, then we'll see what he has to say

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Zorg

Also, I believe almost any other manager would have got a lot more shit for having a 100% non-English team.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
As a manager you cannot argue with his amazing record.
As a man he's a whingeing crybaby and a very poor loser - rarely congratulates his opponents unlike Ferguson.
Steady on. It's pretty good, by no means is it amazing.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge

Ferguson did and fair play to Arsenal for never looking remotely like doing him over.
Yes but Ferguson did it on the back of nearly 20 years of mostly failure and with a team in the bottom three. Arsenal had won the league twice in the previous few years ad had some success in europe when Wenger came. Very different circumstances.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Yes but Ferguson did it on the back of nearly 20 years of mostly failure and with a team in the bottom three. Arsenal had won the league twice in the previous few years ad had some success in europe when Wenger came. Very different circumstances.
Still an achievement for a top 4 manager to keep his job having won Sweet FA for four years. The Board there don't spend big and don't panic and the supporters aren't asking for a change either.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Steady on. It's pretty good, by no means is it amazing.
Fair point, though I think it's better than pretty good. He's built several superb, winning teams who play attractive football.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
dodger

Quote:
Still an achievement for a top 4 manager to keep his job having won Sweet FA for four years. The Board there don't spend big and don't panic and the supporters aren't asking for a change either.
Says more about them than him though.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
dodger

Quote:
Fair point, though I think it's better than pretty good. He's built several superb, winning teams who play attractive football.
Yes he has but weight of tropies over his career isn't huge. What did he win before Arsenal? I french league was it?

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Yes he has but weight of tropies over his career isn't huge. What did he win before Arsenal? I french league was it?
Again that's a fair point, and I won't bother citing anything he may or may not have won in Japan

I just think taking the job at a time when United were totally dominant and winning the double was an impressive achievement. Even with the ready-made defence he had in place, he still had to build a team. Then the following year he came very close to repeating the trick.

Can't believe I'm defending the bitter old @#%&!

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Says more about them than him though.
Says more about United supporters than Ferguson that a good number wanted him out a couple of seasons back.

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:

Ferguson did and fair play to Arsenal for never looking remotely like doing him over.
SAF's early situation came into my head as I read that line too!

Only 3 FA cups to show between the 2 Sirs and plenty of patience shown during that period no??

But state something as fact and it becomes fact

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
dodger

Quote:
I just think taking the job at a time when United were totally dominant and winning the double was an impressive achievement. Even with the ready-made defence he had in place, he still had to build a team. Then the following year he came very close to repeating the trick.
I'll give you that

Quote:

Can't believe I'm defending the bitter old @#%&!
Me neither

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
dodger

Quote:
Says more about United supporters than Ferguson that a good number wanted him out a couple of seasons back.
Perhaps that's true. A lot of turmoil at the club though and a lot of it was his fault so Alex wasn't blameless.
Closed Thread