United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
safingtons

Default What is our strongest 11 these days?

Nani must surely remain on the right until Valencia grows a set of balls and you've got to acknowledge Berbatov's current form so i'd move Rooney to left forward.

My personal choice:

VDS
Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
Fletcher-Carrick-Scholes
Nani-Berbatov-Rooney.

Do you think that restricts Rooney? For me hes far too complete a player to just use as a centre forward. He's shown in the past he can play from left forward, link the midfield with attack, still get in the box and score goals.

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
until Valencia grows a set of balls
what a £#%&!ing plum

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
magic_cantona

I dont get the Valencia stick He's been very good for us.

I've always championed Berbs but last season a front 3 of Vallers, Nani and Rooney was obviously our best formation.But how can you now say (even the Berba haters) that Berbs doesn't warrant a first team place.

I'd have

VDS

Rafa
Vidic
Rio (when fit)
Evra

Vallers
Scholes/Giggs/Carrick (Happy with any tbh)
Fletch
Nani

Rooney
Berbs

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
safingtons

Im not giving Valencia stick, hes a good player who had a good debut season, but someone with his ability should be doing far more, youd have to question him as a regular starter if this goes on. Especially with Nani's best position being on the right.

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Liu Jian

Nani is a better player than Valencia, but how many games will Giggs start from the left this season?

Would rather have Nani on the left and Valencia on the right than start with Park on the left and Nani on the right for most games.

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
Im not giving Valencia stick, hes a good player who had a good debut season, but someone with his ability should be doing far more, youd have to question him as a regular starter if this goes on. Especially with Nani's best position being on the right.
Harsh. It's only been two games he's played in.

Valencia needs to improve on what was a good debut season last year, but he already offers a lot. The thing I like about him is that while on his day he can make a fantastic contribution to the attack, when that doesn't happen what you get with him as a minimum is excellent defensive contributions. I doubt he'd have allowed the play to build up from the left for Arteta's goal half as easily as Fletcher and Neville did. It was a frustratingly half-arsed effort from the pair of them.

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
borsuk

'best 11' is meaningless btw. who against? home or away? in what situation? who's in form? who played last week?

i don't think any top team has a 'best 11'. not us, not barca, not real, not chelsea, not spain.

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:54 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Harsh. It's only been two games he's played in.

Valencia needs to improve on what was a good debut season last year, but he already offers a lot. The thing I like about him is that while on his day he can make a fantastic contribution to the attack, when that doesn't happen what you get with him as a minimum is excellent defensive contributions. I doubt he'd have allowed the play to build up from the left for Arteta's goal half as easily as Fletcher and Neville did. It was a frustratingly half-arsed effort from the pair of them.
and nani, who was also on the right. the way they allowed those crosses in was appalling, especially the second one when they'd already had a warning.

Unread 11-09-2010, 02:54 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
'best 11' is meaningless btw. who against? home or away? in what situation? who's in form? who played last week?

i don't think any top team has a 'best 11'. not us, not barca, not real, not chelsea, not spain.
our best 11 home or away and against anyone would have 14 players in it. just as well half them are never fit.

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:

i don't think these questions dictate the barcelona selection too much, they put out their best team and trust them to do the job whatever the situation. £#%&! the opposition.

in our pomp we were very much the same.

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Sloane

this thread

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
rafabio

Quote:

why do you try so hard always ffs? Barca have. as long as the players are fit, they always play a 4-3-3

villa, messi, pedro (last time it was ibramovich)

and a midfield of
xavi, iniesta, mascherano (last time it was toure/busquets)

Chelsea always play a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3

drogba, malouda, essien, ramires, lampard will always play. The only change will be anelka or sturridge

we have a very unsettled line up.

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

tough to pick our best side seeing as the ability of players in most areas is very similar.
world class players are few and far between in our squad

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

van der sar
rafael
vidic
rio
evra

valencia
fletcher
scholes/carrick
giggs/nani

rooney
berbatov

obviously giggs and scholes have to pick their games but when all fully fit

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
why do you try so hard always ffs? Barca have. as long as the players are fit, they always play a 4-3-3

villa, messi, pedro (last time it was ibramovich)

and a midfield of
xavi, iniesta, mascherano (last time it was toure/busquets)

Chelsea always play a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3

drogba, malouda, essien, ramires, lampard will always play. The only change will be anelka or sturridge

we have a very unsettled line up.

so barca don't play busquets then? interesting.

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
andyroo

Quote:

He's not playing today

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
rafabio

Quote:

They could play him my moving iniesta ahead instead of pedro. Still it's only one change in the front 6 players. Our's is not stable at all...

don't see what is funny about malouda, lampard? They almost always start if they are available.

Unread 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM
wonky no

giggs

Unread 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He's not playing today
but does often, depending on the opposition. which is, er, my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
They could play him my moving iniesta ahead instead of pedro. Still it's only one change in the front 6 players. Our's is not stable at all...

don't see what is funny about malouda, lampard? They almost always start if they are available.
except today

Unread 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Tronics

Valencia will never be that player we all want (i.e dynamic going forward etc)

But hes really good at what he does, getting crosses in and being a really good team player

We just lack that bit of guile(sp?) and invention in the middle to compensate for Valencia's short comings

Anyways back on topic our strongest starting 11 is;

VDS

Evra
Rio/Evans
Vidic
Da Silva/Nevs

Fletch
Carrick/Park
Scholes/Anderson

Rooney
Berbs
Nani/Valencia