Closed Thread

Unread 17-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Sandman

Default Liverpool are the new bitters.

That famous scouse wit.

Quote:
From The Times
November 18, 2009

Liverpool have risked a furore over a film starring Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher that portrays Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, as a whisky-guzzling drunk and Gary Neville, the club’s captain, as a rat who “hates Scousers”.

Gerrard and Carragher were joined by Rafael Benítez, the Merseyside club’s manager, at the premiere of Fifteen Minutes That Shook The World in Liverpool on Monday evening.

The 43-minute film is a darkly humorous, fictional account of the events that inspired Liverpool’s fightback against AC Milan in the Champions League final in Istanbul in May 2005, when they came from 3-0 down at half-time to win on penalties.

But while the movie — which includes cameos from Gerrard and Carragher, the Liverpool captain and vice-captain respectively — was intended to be light-hearted and firmly tongue-in-cheek, it remains to be seen what United make of it.

In one scene, a Ferguson parody called McTaggart rings a Neville lookalike, wearing a United No 2 shirt bearing the name “Rat Boy” on the back, to celebrate Liverpool trailing Milan by three goals.

“Rat Boy”, whose features were digitally enhanced to make him more ratlike, responds by singing about how he “hates Scousers”, an ironic nod to the song that United fans chant about Neville’s widely perceived dislike of Liverpool.

When word comes through that Liverpool have drawn level, McTaggart is seen swigging furiously from a bottle of Scotch, which has the words “Manager of the Month but not as good as Bob Paisley” on it. He then tries to put his head in a noose only to be thwarted when the gum bubble he blows explodes over his face.

United declined to comment yesterday, but Ferguson and Neville are likely to be unimpressed, not least because of the involvement of Gerrard and Carragher and others at Anfield, even though they would not have been aware of the full extent of the content.

Ferguson did not react well the previous time a club tried to poke fun at United. He described Manchester City as a “small club with a small mentality”, arrogant, #@&%!y and stupid for the “Welcome to Manchester” poster they erected in the summer after Carlos Tévez’s move to the club from Old Trafford.

Liverpool fans, though, will doubtless view the film as it was intended — a bit of fun — even if the timing of its release may raise a few eyebrows, coming as it has only days before Benítez’s team face Manchester City in the Barclays Premier League and Debrecen in the Champions League, games that could define their season.

Ferguson and Neville are by no means the only ones sent up in the film. Benítez, who is played by Neil Fitzmaurice, the actor and comedian, tells his players in the dressing room at half-time that “the whole damn world will take the p***, go on that pitch you shower of pigs and make it our day.” Of Dietmar Hamann, the former Liverpool player who also has a cameo in the film, Fitzmaurice’s Benítez says: “But what is Hamann, what has he got, he smokes, he drinks, he uses pot, but he will shine.”

Djimi Traoré, the former Liverpool defender, is brought into the dressing room in a box by Sami Hyypia, at which point Gerrard says, “Djimi, that’s the best you’ve been in the box all night,” while Carragher, when pressed by Benítez for his thoughts, can utter only the Scouse phrase: “I’m still chocka.” Gerrard adds that he “won’t be able to show my face” around his home town of Huyton if Liverpool do not stage a comeback.

The film was written by Dave Kirby, the Liverpool playwright, and will shortly go on general release at selected cinemas — although presumably not in Manchester — before being released on DVD in time for Christmas.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...le6920853.ece?

Unread 17-11-2009, 11:53 PM
History

Default Re: Liverpool are the new bitters.

Not arsed tbh. If they feel the need to mention united in a film about them winning the European cup.

Least i can say i won't boycott this, as i was never planning on seeing it

Unread 17-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Kent Brockman

Sounds hilarious.

Unread 17-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Spiffy

When anyone has a go at us it's a joke but when we have a go at anyone else they go ape shit.

Hated, adored but never ignored.

Unread 17-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman
Sounds hilarious.

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:05 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
When anyone has a go at us it's a joke but when we have a go at anyone else they go ape shit.

Hated, adored but never ignored.
Quote:
Liverpool fans, though, will doubtless view the film as it was intended — a bit of fun
just like they do when anyone has "a bit of fun" at their expense

im going out and buying the SUN tomorrow

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:08 AM
irk

that's shockingly bad. painful. only scousers think scousers are funny and that's a fact.

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Sparky***

Are they still going on about that? It was nearly 5 years ago ffs.

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Are they still going on about that? It was nearly 5 years ago ffs.
My old man tells me all the time about Dennis Tuart's overhead kick in the 76 league cup final. If you have £#%&! all to celebrate you go on and on about how great you used to be.

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Serenity Now

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:52 AM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up Re: Liverpool are the new bitters.

think you get a free Hillsborough Festival dvd with it if you order before Xmas

Unread 18-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Ethers

£#%&! me. Not really arsed about the digs at Fergie and Neville, seen worse in RI tbh.

But that looks like one of the worst 'films' ever. What the £#%&!? Is it supposed to be funny? 45 minutes of that shit??

Unread 18-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
£#%&! me. Not really arsed about the digs at Fergie and Neville, seen worse in RI tbh.

But that looks like one of the worst 'films' ever. What the £#%&!? Is it supposed to be funny? 45 minutes of that shit??
It's the perfect Christmas present for people who need to buy a present for a Liverpool fan but they know nothing about him at all. For example an uncle you see at Christmas time who buys you a present but you have nothing at all in common with them. I expect it to do well unfortunately.

I'd like to see the FA investigate whether portraying a manager as an alchy or an England player as a rat brings the game into disrepute.

Unread 18-11-2009, 10:20 AM
TravellingRed

£#%&! me, they're even shit at making films. We have Looking for Eric, starring the football genius, actor,intellectual and Deity Eric Cantona, they have this steaming pile of turd. They should stick to minutes silence' and boycotts imo.

Unread 18-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

"fifteen minutes that shook the world"

even the title is delusional ffs

Unread 18-11-2009, 10:30 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
It's the perfect Christmas present for people who need to buy a present for a Liverpool fan but they know nothing about him at all. For example an uncle you see at Christmas time who buys you a present but you have nothing at all in common with them. I expect it to do well unfortunately.

I'd like to see the FA investigate whether portraying a manager as an alchy or an England player as a rat brings the game into disrepute.
They should do. But we know they wont.

£#%&! them though. £#%&!ing mudering scouse scum.

Unread 18-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Mr_Ed

We should make our own 30 second tribute for when we won the European cup only 2 seasons ago. Terry gets disturbed whilst taking his penalty as a load of chelsea fans push a wall over and kill some Italians.

I can't see their DVD selling too many copies.

Unread 18-11-2009, 11:27 AM
erictheking7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
just like they do when anyone has "a bit of fun" at their expense

im going out and buying the SUN tomorrow
And I'm going to buy a fence.

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:09 PM
The taste of...

From and for .... the classy supporters of the club that used to win the league year on year on year.

Your not famous anymore

har har har de har har har

Unread 18-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Stickman

18 and counting - by god that must stick in the throat, especially for the older generation. knowing that in the next 5 years theres a high chance we could be 19/20. Its getting desperate at Anfield
Closed Thread