Default Re: This whole Value thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Top boys shirt.
expect to see marlo wearing one then

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Redordead

Oh and another thing wish people would stop comparing players, villa was going nowhere else for 33 million. So no liverpool couldnt have had villa for less than carroll;

The player has to want to move
club has to agree to sell
wages met

these three factors effect price.

Ozil wasnt there for any team with 14 million in the bank ffs

There is value and there is more expensive players about.. bottom line is we sold Ron for 80 million. so we cant complain about value.

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Everything is relative.

We were never above spending exceedingly large amounts on players before and many people raised a few eyebrows when we were splashing £7m on andy cole in january 1995 and £3.75m on a very young roy keane.

Jaap Stam the (then) most expensive defender in history. Veron for £28m a transfer record, breaking the record only days after signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy for another record fee.

Wayne Rooney, the most money ever paid for a teenager in history. etc etc.

Is £35m a lot for andy carroll? at the moment it seems so. But, if he goes on to score 30 goals next season, everybody will be saying its money well spent.

Did real madrid get value for money with Ronaldo - the goals he's getting would suggest so, without him they would be £#%&!ed.

At the end of the day manchester united is the most profitable sporting institution in the world, we as supporters have the right to expect that money generated is spent on improving the team. Otherwise what's the point? We're running a football club not a £#%&!ing bank.
good post sparkles

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Everything is relative.

We were never above spending exceedingly large amounts on players before and many people raised a few eyebrows when we were splashing £7m on andy cole in january 1995 and £3.75m on a very young roy keane.

Jaap Stam the (then) most expensive defender in history. Veron for £28m a transfer record, breaking the record only days after signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy for another record fee.

Wayne Rooney, the most money ever paid for a teenager in history. etc etc.

Is £35m a lot for andy carroll? at the moment it seems so. But, if he goes on to score 30 goals next season, everybody will be saying its money well spent.

Did real madrid get value for money with Ronaldo - the goals he's getting would suggest so, without him they would be £#%&!ed.

At the end of the day manchester united is the most profitable sporting institution in the world, we as supporters have the right to expect that money generated is spent on improving the team. Otherwise what's the point? We're running a football club not a £#%&!ing bank.
I don't remember any raised eyebrows about Keane, Cole or Stam.

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Cream

Is value a moral thing?

We've become the behemoth we are today through 20+ years of investing in youth under Ferguson. We deserve it as much as anyone.

Is it a practical issue?

Why the £#%&! should we worry? Being the richest club and raising the transfer bar should only serve to strengthen our power. Are we expecting United to be in a financial pickle some time in the future and protecting ourselves from a system where we can't compete...?

Oh hang abaaaaht!

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead
This.

If we had spent 160 million and Torres, Carrol, Bale and Modric were at carrington today would you give a shit about price????

That would be market value because we would be better.
would we really be better? we are currently top scorers in the league and 5pts clear. this isn't a case of 'everything is fine', it's just the facts. on bale in particular there's an obvious case to say that united missed out there. but then he didn't go for big money, and apparently united were interested but £#%&!ed it up. when he moves to a big club he will cost a fortune, but he'll still be unproven in a winning team at the highest the level. all he's done so far is play a few excellent games for underdogs. modric looks quality - is quality - but he's also lightweight. he wouldn't get anything like the protection at united that he gets at spurs, either from officials or from his own team-mates in terms of defensive duties. carrol we just don't need - berbatov is improving his heading accuracy all the time and rooney showed last season that he is brilliant in the air. we also have hernandez scoring with headers and at least two of these three are far better than carroll is ever likely to be on the deck. and that just leaves torres, the spanish balsa boy.

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
would we really be better?
ffs, this guy isnt serious is he?

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
ffs, this guy isnt serious is he?
Quote:
we are currently top scorers in the league and 5pts clear.
watch out for the vermin on your way down

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Cream

Throb.

Berbatov cost a fortune. He's no kid. He's proving to be a resounding success in a market that shows no signs of slowing down.

Ferguson didn't want to let Ronaldo go for 80 million pounds, but would presumably baulk at paying 80 million pounds for a player.

Ferguson hasn't spent the 80 million, thus stripping the sale of any 'value'.

It just doesn't add up.

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Darth Vidic

No value for Sneijder or Robber either

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
Throb.

Berbatov cost a fortune. He's no kid. He's proving to be a resounding success in a market that shows no signs of slowing down.

Ferguson didn't want to let Ronaldo go for 80 million pounds, but would presumably baulk at paying 80 million pounds for a player.

Ferguson hasn't spent the 80 million, thus stripping the sale of any 'value'.

It just doesn't add up.
There's plenty of speculation to be made about the value of that £80m sitting in the bank though. Don't really want to go there tbh...

As I posted the other day, Ferguson has been talking about value in the transfer market for many years (1996 was the example I used).

The notion - seemingly put out there by the club - that the club won't fork out for anyone of berbatov's quality unless they meet strict age criteria is ridiculous, i agree. but there aren't too many players as good as he is who are still worth £30m at his age who'd want to come to united anyway, so it's almost a moot point. the other major consideration is the effect a player's arrival has on the squad, and berbatov is a case in point - he's affected all three of the main strikers (inc. ronaldo) who were at the club when he arrived. you won't find many people marvelling at the value achieved in trading berbatov for ronaldo, and getting to £#%&! tevez' wages off at the same time. but if united do win big this season (either of the main prizes) and berbatov is the top scorer (with either ronaldo or rooney only having beaten his current league tally in a single season once each, and there still being a third of the season to go) then surely that £30m transfer off the back of the ronaldo sale will be the ultimate value. feel free to pick this apart btw, it's automatic other than the goal stat!

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
No value for Sneijder or Robber either
Did they (want to come)?
Would they (sell them to us, Madrid)?

I'll be banging this drum all year?

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Cream

Quote:
There's plenty of speculation to be made about the value of that £80m sitting in the bank though. Don't really want to go there tbh...

As I posted the other day, Ferguson has been talking about value in the transfer market for many years (1996 was the example I used).

The notion - seemingly put out there by the club - that the club won't fork out for anyone of berbatov's quality unless they meet strict age criteria is ridiculous, i agree. but there aren't too many players as good as he is who are still worth £30m at his age who'd want to come to united anyway, so it's almost a moot point. the other major consideration is the effect a player's arrival has on the squad, and berbatov is a case in point - he's affected all three of the main strikers (inc. ronaldo) who were at the club when he arrived. you won't find many people marvelling at the value achieved in trading berbatov for ronaldo, and getting to £#%&! tevez' wages off at the same time. but if united do win big this season (either of the main prizes) and berbatov is the top scorer (with either ronaldo or rooney only having beaten his current league tally in a single season once each, and there still being a third of the season to go) then surely that £30m transfer off the back of the ronaldo sale will be the ultimate value. feel free to pick this apart btw, it's automatic other than the goal stat!
I refer you to last season.

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Sloane

Quote:

where do you watch the games?

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I don't remember any raised eyebrows about Keane, Cole or Stam.
Right. Yeah, all those transfers slipped quietly under the radar. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Did they (want to come)?
Would they (sell them to us, Madrid)?

I'll banging this drum all year?
This is based on nothing other than my gut instinct, but surely Sneijder would have come to us if we'd shown interest when he was leaving Madrid?

Most players would choose the Premiership over Serie A, and we're the biggest club in England as well.

Even since his move to Inter he's spoken about us a few times saying how he'd love to play for us. Whether or not that was just to get himself into a better negotiating position during his contract renewal is probable, but he still spoke positively of us and Fergie.

The fact we claimed to show interest in him after his superb Treble season and World Cup was almost embarrassing. If we weren't willing to cough up £12 million for him when he left Spain why were we going to suddenly offer £30 million? It stunk of PR, especially when Fergie came out saying we had a 'good look' at David Villa as well.

Neither player was ever coming to United so there was no need for Fergie to come out and publicly say we were 'looking'.

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
I refer you to last season.
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
where do you watch the games?
various places, especially the strettie. why?

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
This is based on nothing other than my gut instinct, but surely Sneijder would have come to us if we'd shown interest when he was leaving Madrid?

Most players would choose the Premiership over Serie A, and we're the biggest club in England as well.

Even since his move to Inter he's spoken about us a few times saying how he'd love to play for us. Whether or not that was just to get himself into a better negotiating position during his contract renewal is probable, but he still spoke positively of us and Fergie.

The fact we claimed to show interest in him after his superb Treble season and World Cup was almost embarrassing. If we weren't willing to cough up £12 million for him when he left Spain why were we going to suddenly offer £30 million? It stunk of PR, especially when Fergie came out saying we had a 'good look' at David Villa as well.

Neither player was ever coming to United so there was no need for Fergie to come out and publicly say we were 'looking'.
but he was being asked about the transfer market and about united's transfer policy/activity, just as he always is. you seem to be saying he was lying.

i'm interested to know where you envisage sneijder playing in the united team? what system? how many games would he play? how many would he settle for playing? who would he gel with best? who would you expect to be left out to make room for him? the answer to none of these questions is darren gibson btw.

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Sloane

Quote:
why?

various places, especially the strettie. why?
just wondered how you saw the games without ever watching sky

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
just wondered how you saw the games without ever watching sky
when did i say i never watched the live broadcasts shown on sky

i'm not boycotting sky, i would just never have it in my house and would never subscribe to it

i'm sure they don't give a £#%&! though, they've got more than ten million subscribers apparently
Closed Thread