United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Harri Jaffa

Default Scholes and Carrick cannot start together

In fact

Scholes cannot start any of the bigger or away games from now on

My favourite player since pretty much forever but was a waste of time in midfield tonight and has been too much this season bar a few games.

The midfield would have been stronger with a striker instead of Scholes purely because there would have been somewhere forward to pass to.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Firswood Red

i'm not sure Scholes should be starting any game unless its against average opposition at OT

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:02 PM
armchair

I love the way on this forum people are super experts on football after any sort of bad result but whilst United are on runs of victories they are more interested in anything but football.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Tronics

On current form I'd be happy with Fletch and Carrick to start in the middle.

Scholes and Ando could come on to spice things up if needed.

Scholes doesn't really look with it at the mo.

And his tendency to always look for that eye of a needle pass is starting to piss me off.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:09 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I love the way on this forum people are super experts on football after any sort of bad result but whilst United are on runs of victories they are more interested in anything but football.
A cap doffing moment.

Anyway, I don't think even Fergie thought he'd be as reliant on Scholes and Giggs in midfield as he has been this year but circumstances can dictate otherwise.

Maybe Gibson should be playing at the moment? No? So who?

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
A cap doffing moment.

Anyway, I don't think even Fergie thought he'd be as reliant on Scholes and Giggs in midfield as he has been this year but circumstances can dictate otherwise.

Maybe Gibson should be playing at the moment? No? So who?
anyone would think you got shares in the lad

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
armchair

Not a go at you specifically Harri btw! Just bemoaning the way the forum is so reliant on results.

Indeed, Carrick sometimes has a problem abdicating responsibility to Scholes too often when they both play.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
rebelcountyred

I thought up to a few weeks ago that one of the strenghts of this united side was the way midfield players were able to come and go into this side, we weren't dependant in the way liverpool and chelsea depend on gerard and lampard respectively. However i think it is plain without being accused of over-reaction that while we have an abundance of good midfielders we lack a couple of top quality midfielders ones, hargreaves if fit would be one. Scholes will probably be gone after this season and we need a replacement, big ask but we have to get it right imo.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
anyone would think you got shares in the lad
Gibson? Scholes?

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Tiberian

Scholes has played well against Fulham at home in the league, Portsmouth away and Aaalberg at home as a sub this season. Apart from that he has struggled very badly in nearly every game he has played.

Athletic opposition who can press him are forcing more mistakes than ever. His passing, if unhurried(see the Fulham match) is still peerless, but he is getting caught on the ball and giving it away in bad areas far too much. Add to that the weaknesses he causes defensively because of how slow and immobile he is and with a fit squad it would be hard to justify him starting many games at all.

Fergie still has a lot of faith in him, but starting him in these games(Inter and Tonight) is a real concern.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Scholes has played well against Fulham at home in the league, Portsmouth away and Aaalberg at home as a sub this season. Apart from that he has struggled very badly in nearly every game he has played.

Athletic opposition who can press him are forcing more mistakes than ever. His passing, if unhurried(see the Fulham match) is still peerless, but he is getting caught on the ball and giving it away in bad areas far too much. Add to that the weaknesses he causes defensively because of how slow and immobile he is and with a fit squad it would be hard to justify him starting many games at all.

Fergie still has a lot of faith in him, but starting him in these games(Inter and Tonight) is a real concern.
I pretty much agree with all of that, I think even Fergie might as I say.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
I pretty much agree with all of that, I think even Fergie might as I say.
I think Scholes thinks that as well, looking at him.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
For every game he's started this season how often has he been subbed around the hour mark? Must be a few.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:43 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yeah, as I said before it's a bit sad looking at him now, the great player he was without the legs and perhaps vision to quite do it anymore. Again though, surely it wasn't expected he'd be asked to do so much this season?

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
For every game he's started this season how often has he been subbed around the hour mark? Must be a few.
Yeah, that's kinda what i've seen, even playing well it just seems to go around the hour at best.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Stubbsy

sell em both

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Which creates another problem knowing that at best he can last an hour and that a sub is already basically planned. Saying that, Anderson has the same problem at 15 years younger.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:46 PM
dunk

Quote:
Yeah, as I said before it's a bit sad looking at him now, the great player he was without the legs and perhaps vision to quite do it anymore. Again though, surely it wasn't expected he'd be asked to do so much this season?
Probably not.

But I really do think he has gone in his own mind. The injuries he picked up in October/November of the last 2 seasons really seem to have sucked it out of him.

I'm convinced he'll turn it in at the end of the season. He just doesn't have the joy that Giggs has.

I reckon Neville might too, depends if he can get through the rest of the season without any further injuries I suppose.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbsy
sell em both
if no-one else puts a bid in, I'm getting a 2nd mortgage and buying Scholes. just to have him sat in me house would be an honour, though essentially it'd be as a slave.

Unread 07-04-2009, 10:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
if no-one else puts a bid in, I'm getting a 2nd mortgage and buying Scholes. just to have him sat in me house would be an honour, though essentially it'd be as a slave.
I'll put to, if you like. I only need him for my 5 a side team, say, 3 hours a week
Closed Thread