United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Harri Jaffa

Default This whole Value thing...

I've had to admit that whenever I hear Fergie spout the word 'value' I assume he's just towing the party line. While i've never doubted his desire to do right by the club, there's been a niggle in my head that suspects he's been told that for whatever reason cash is not available.

Then you look at some of the utterly mental transfers, not just this winter or this country, but around Europe and maybe he has a point...

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:01 AM
armchair

Default Re: This whole Value thing...

How much was Chico?

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I've had to admit that whenever I hear Fergie spout the word 'value' I assume he's just towing the party line. While i've never doubted his desire to do right by the club, there's been a niggle in my head that suspects he's been told that for whatever reason cash is not available.

Then you look at some of the utterly mental transfers, not just this winter or this country, but around Europe and maybe he has a point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
How much was Chico?
Nevermind him, how much was Berbs, he looks a £#%&!ing steal atm.

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Lok

Whilst he has undoubtedly been proven correct over these last couple of days, Fergie only says it because we have no money.

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Whilst he has undoubtedly been proven correct over these last couple of days, Fergie only says it because we have no money.
It's his cry for help :shakehead:

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
yeah, maybe you're right. having said that it's still true that we don't see true value in the market currently

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
irk

i assume that he would feel a right @#%&! at spending so much on such shite.

a bit like this

http://www.selfridges.com/en/Menswea...W700AAW650360/

ffs if carroll was a t shirt

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Hugh Jardon

One thing money cant buy is......

Points on the board!

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

a bit like this

ffs
rather buy andy carroll for 35m tbf

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
One thing money cant buy is......

Points on the board!
and love. it can buy you loving, or a bird way out of your league who pretends to love you so effectively that you'd not know the difference...

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
yeah, maybe you're right. having said that it's still true that we don't see true value in the market currently

If however, Torres is an integral part of a Chelsea League and European Cup double, they would rightly argue that he's been value !

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
If however, Torres is an integral part of a Chelsea League and European Cup double, they would rightly argue that he's been value !
true

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Sparky***

Everything is relative.

We were never above spending exceedingly large amounts on players before and many people raised a few eyebrows when we were splashing £7m on andy cole in january 1995 and £3.75m on a very young roy keane.

Jaap Stam the (then) most expensive defender in history. Veron for £28m a transfer record, breaking the record only days after signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy for another record fee.

Wayne Rooney, the most money ever paid for a teenager in history. etc etc.

Is £35m a lot for andy carroll? at the moment it seems so. But, if he goes on to score 30 goals next season, everybody will be saying its money well spent.

Did real madrid get value for money with Ronaldo - the goals he's getting would suggest so, without him they would be £#%&!ed.

At the end of the day manchester united is the most profitable sporting institution in the world, we as supporters have the right to expect that money generated is spent on improving the team. Otherwise what's the point? We're running a football club not a £#%&!ing bank.

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM
The Watcher

We once bought a centre back from a practically insolvent football club for £30 million. We bought a homeless bloke who can’t even play football for £#%&!ing £7 million! Bit rich to be going on about ‘value’. It’s bullshit and we all know it.

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

a bit like this

ffs if carroll was a t shirt
Top boys shirt.

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Crumps

Fergie in being right shocker?

Quote:
Value?

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
roterteufel

"we as supporters have the right to expect that money generated is spent on improving the team. Otherwise what's the point? We're running a football club not a £#%&!ing bank."
WRONG its being run as a money generating machine (bank) for the glazers

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by roterteufel
"we as supporters have the right to expect that money generated is spent on improving the team. Otherwise what's the point? We're running a football club not a £#%&!ing bank."
WRONG its being run as a money generating machine (bank) for the glazers
Yep.

look, the day united start leeching off some outside investors, spending £300m in one transfer window then of course we'd all be rightly shocked and have to scratch our heads at wtf is going on.

but at the moment our club is announcing record turnover every single year, the ticket prices are going up, the tv money is going up, we're getting record sponsorship deals. the wage bill (rooney aside) isn't exactly getting bigger, i doubt many of the first team are on 80k+ a week aside from the most experienced players.

and yet the outlay on players is getting less.

i don't envy liverpool because they've got andy carrol - but i certainly envy the fact that they were able to pump that £50m they got for torres straight back into the team.

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Redordead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Everything is relative.

We were never above spending exceedingly large amounts on players before and many people raised a few eyebrows when we were splashing £7m on andy cole in january 1995 and £3.75m on a very young roy keane.

Jaap Stam the (then) most expensive defender in history. Veron for £28m a transfer record, breaking the record only days after signing Ruud Van Nistelrooy for another record fee.

Wayne Rooney, the most money ever paid for a teenager in history. etc etc.

Is £35m a lot for andy carroll? at the moment it seems so. But, if he goes on to score 30 goals next season, everybody will be saying its money well spent.

Did real madrid get value for money with Ronaldo - the goals he's getting would suggest so, without him they would be £#%&!ed.

At the end of the day manchester united is the most profitable sporting institution in the world, we as supporters have the right to expect that money generated is spent on improving the team. Otherwise what's the point? We're running a football club not a £#%&!ing bank.
This.

If we had spent 160 million and Torres, Carrol, Bale and Modric were at carrington today would you give a shit about price????

That would be market value because we would be better.

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

What "right" is that exactly - moral or contractual?

If it's the former - forget it.
Closed Thread