United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2009, 09:45 AM
shyteds

Default Ronaldo makes United pledge

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...20090114080836

Cristiano Ronaldo has again moved to distance himself from reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid.

The Manchester United winger became embroiled in a long-running transfer saga involving the Spanish giants last summer, before eventually committing his future to the Red Devils.

Those at Old Trafford had hoped his public show of affection for the club would help to bring an end to the incessant rumours.

However, the issue has resurfaced following the opening of the January transfer window, with Real once again touted as a possible destination for Ronaldo this summer.

The Portuguese superstar insists he is happy at United, though, and has reiterated his intention to remain at the club for the foreseeable future.

"I intend to win as many trophies as I can with this club for as long as possible," he said.

"We are a young team and the future is good.
Fantastic

"I want to be here and be part of the success that lies ahead. It is great to be part of such a fantastic club.

"I intend to be here for years and years."

Ronaldo is certainly not letting his focus be distracted by the Real rumours, and is targeting a clean sweep of silverware this term.

United have already claimed the Club World Cup this season, but remain in the running for Premier League, UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup glory.

"We are going to try and win the lot, and why not? In my head I know it is possible," added Ronaldo.

"The priority is to retain the Premier League and Champions League and we have the players, the spirit and desire to do more.

"We want to make history by winning all five trophies."

Oh ye of little faith.

Viva Ronaldo

Unread 14-01-2009, 09:47 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

He'll still get slagged off.
Thats two madrid stories in a row that have appeared now and hes come out and said he wants to be here.
Viva Ronaldo needs to be sang loud this evening

Unread 14-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Pop

Like an unfaithful bird who comes crawling back after playing away I so want to believe him but just can't

Unread 14-01-2009, 09:51 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Like an unfaithful bird who comes crawling back after playing away I so want to believe him but just can't
In that case just take the sex while you can and enjoy it

Unread 14-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
In that case just take the sex while you can and enjoy it
I'm very tempted. Will it hurt much when he puts it in?

Unread 14-01-2009, 09:58 AM
The Return of JC

Good to see him actually making an effort to distance himself from these rumours these days.

He will one day be a Real Madrid player, we all know that, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:02 AM
armchair

I watched him say "I dream of playing in spain one day, but dreams sometimes don't come true"

The rumours just came around again because real wanted a bit of reflected glory due to them being shit at the moment. If I was him I'd think twice about moving to that soap opera. 100 million euros apparently.

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:21 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I watched him say "I dream of playing in spain one day, but dreams sometimes don't come true"

The rumours just came around again because real wanted a bit of reflected glory due to them being shit at the moment. If I was him I'd think twice about moving to that soap opera. 100 million euros apparently.
I think he is.

He ain't stupid. It may be a dream for him, but right now that's all it seems to be. Real Madrid the fantasy is pretty far removed from Real Madrid the reality at the moment.

Circumstances change very quickly. In the summer he was at the peak of his form and United had achieved all there was to achieve (and, importantly, he was away from the club with Portugal). Now, the prospective buyers are in pieces, he's had talks with his manager, he's back playing football for United and his form has dipped: Given the perfectionist that he is, I suspect he wouldn't let himself leave unless his form was good. Each year provides a new challenge and I think he realises that. The penny has (somewhat) dropped for him.

I'm really pleased to find him immediately knocking back rumours. Keep it up.

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:24 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
At some time in the future he will go with that Tart, Real.
We all know it.

Mind you i think i would go to Barca. Something about that club that has class.

Viva Barca.
Does anyone really have a problem with that? He's Portugese and if that's his dream, then good for him. This is his 6th (I think) season with us. If we can get another couple of years out of him then I wouldn't begrudge him a move he's always wanted to make after 8 or 9 years of service.

It's the conduct that riles people. If he can change that (and this is a good start) then there's not much of a problem.

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:26 AM
shyteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Does anyone really have a problem with that? He's Portugese and if that's his dream, then good for him. This is his 6th (I think) season with us. If we can get another couple of years out of him then I wouldn't begrudge him a move he's always wanted to make after 8 or 9 years of service.

It's the conduct that riles people. If he can change that (and this is a good start) then there's not much of a problem.
Spot on post sir, spot on.

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:28 AM
El Calafate

fwiw, i don't believe a word Ronaldo says.

nft.

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Zorg

Quote:

Good post, though why is his Portugueseness anything to do with it?

Unread 14-01-2009, 10:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

I'll believe him if summer comes around and he publicly says he doesn't want to play for Real. Then doesn't try top move to Real.

Unread 14-01-2009, 11:16 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Good post, though why is his Portugueseness anything to do with it?
Portugeuseness more similar to Spanishness than Englishicity.

Unread 14-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Portugeuseness more similar to Spanishness than Englishicity.
Fair play

Unread 14-01-2009, 11:55 AM
History

Let him say that in the summer, when he's not under the influence of the club.

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:18 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
True. That will be the acid test. Still, baby steps and all that. For now, he can't do much more than he's done. It's certainly more than he did over the summer and even at the end of last season.

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:23 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
True. That will be the acid test. Still, baby steps and all that. For now, he can't do much more than he's done. It's certainly more than he did over the summer and even at the end of last season.
it is irrelevant though, i just want him to keep performing as he did on sunday for the rest of the season. We can find out if he's gonna break TT's sycophantic heart in the summer.

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:32 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Doesn't that make your arms feel like a couple of fortnights in a bad baloon

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:42 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
it is irrelevant though, i just want him to keep performing as he did on sunday for the rest of the season. We can find out if he's gonna break TT's sycophantic heart in the summer.
It's hardly irrelevant, is it?

It's progress. He's gone from refusing to discuss his future or blaming God, to actually pouring cold water on rumours: Something he's never done before. There are bigger tests of his loyalty, sure, but this is at least worthy of comment and hardly irrelevant.
Closed Thread