United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
No mate.

You've compared eras 32 years apart and listed some failed signings to counter the notion that Fergie promotes youth and Jose doesn't.
No, I was countering the notion that signing an international Brazilian winger was a boring signing by a boring manager. The previous list of players were some of the last wide players Fergie signed and relied upon in successful teams, not from an era 32 years ago. Other than Bebe, I don’t think Fergie would consider them failed signings.

Unread 29-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Another 29/30 year old boring Mourinho stooge

Overpriced and jammed in to a square hole in a side with no plan and no identity

Great

Any chance to we could actually build a TEAM based on a style befitting the club?
Have you ever watched Willian play ?

Unread 29-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
No, I was countering the notion that signing an international Brazilian winger was a boring signing by a boring manager. The previous list of players were some of the last wide players Fergie signed and relied upon in successful teams, not from an era 32 years ago. Other than Bebe, I don’t think Fergie would consider them failed signings.
It is.

It's £65m for a 29 year old 'hard working winger'

Yeah nothing sets the pulse racing like a hard worker on the wing.

You keep saying we don't know what his plans are (despite 15 years of his managerial caterer perhaps giving us a clue of how he operates) but I think blowing a huge part of the budget on someone turning 30 soon, signing Matic at 28, Sanchez at 29, Fellaini new deal at 31, after Toby at 28.... that gives us a clue.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Kangared

Quote:
It is.

It's £65m for a 29 year old 'hard working winger'

Yeah nothing sets the pulse racing like a hard worker on the wing.

You keep saying we don't know what his plans are (despite 15 years of his managerial caterer perhaps giving us a clue of how he operates) but I think blowing a huge part of the budget on someone turning 30 soon, signing Matic at 28, Sanchez at 29, Fellaini new deal at 31, after Toby at 28.... that gives us a clue.
If you just class Willian as a “ hard working winger “ then again I have to ask if you have ever really seen him play
also Jose has signed Pogba, Lukaku, Dalot, Fred & Bailly . All young players. A team needs a blend of youth & experience.
I agree with a lot of the criticism aimed at Jose but not his work in the transfer market.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
If you just class Willian as a “ hard working winger “ then again I have to ask if you have ever really seen him play
also Jose has signed Pogba, Lukaku, Dalot, Fred & Bailly . All young players. A team needs a blend of youth & experience.
I agree with a lot of the criticism aimed at Jose but not his work in the transfer market.
I don't. Jose apparently did. After 'hard working wingers'.

I think he's a good player... but he's another example of the route Mourinho goes down and has for his whole career. Good luck to him , but it's not what I wanna see and never have .... And seeing people revise and find excuses for it just because he's the United manager is some classic cognitive dissonance.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Kangared

Quote:
I don't. Jose apparently did. After 'hard working wingers'.

I think he's a good player... but he's another example of the route Mourinho goes down and has for his whole career. Good luck to him , but it's not what I wanna see and never have .... And seeing people revise and find excuses for it just because he's the United manager is some classic cognitive dissonance.
So you think Willian is a good player but don’t want him because Jose likes him.
The guy is quality & if he can give 2 years of quality to allow the likes of Chong & Greenwood to integrate how can that be a bad thing ?

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
So you think Willian is a good player but don’t want him because Jose likes him.
The guy is quality & if he can give 2 years of quality to allow the likes of Chong & Greenwood to integrate how can that be a bad thing ?
No. I think he's a good player but not one I want or that fits the bill of the type of player I want us to sign or direction I want us to go in.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Kangared

Quote:
No. I think he's a good player but not one I want or that fits the bill of the type of player I want us to sign or direction I want us to go in.
If you don’t want good players what do you want ?

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
If you don’t want good players what do you want ?
I didn't say I don't want good players

Do all good players fit the ball of what you want?

Good player but not the type or profile i want. Nor is the manager. Get me?

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Kangared

Quote:
I didn't say I don't want good players

Do all good players fit the ball of what you want?

Good player but not the type or profile i want. Nor is the manager. Get me?
On the manager yes, on Willian absolutely not because by your own admission he’s a good player with a good attitude, & I think you have understated his ability by just saying good. He is quality.
What player better fits your profile ?

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
On the manager yes, on Willian absolutely not because by your own admission he’s a good player with a good attitude, & I think you have understated his ability by just saying good. He is quality.
What player better fits your profile ?
It's more the profile of the manager I don't like tbh mate. Functional. Short term.

Which is what Willian is (while also being a good player)

I don't like very much about anything Mourinho does and never have. So when he signs the likes of Lukaku, Wilian, Matic.... They're good players at what they do bit what they do is not my bag and not what I wanna see at United.

He's also managed him at Chelsea so the idea of him going back to his old club to get his favourites is part of why I said it's a boring signing. Same with Matic. Just getting older players from his old club who won him the league.

Thats the vision? No thanks Jose

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:38 AM
andyroo

Matic wasn't a bad signing. He improved us in an area which has been a weakness for far too long. I know what you mean, we're all worried about too many of this kind of signing, it's unambitious and potentially building up trouble down the track, but he wasn't the best example.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Kangared

Quote:
It's more the profile of the manager I don't like tbh mate. Functional. Short term.

Which is what Willian is (while also being a good player)

I don't like very much about anything Mourinho does and never have. So when he signs the likes of Lukaku, Wilian, Matic.... They're good players at what they do bit what they do is not my bag and not what I wanna see at United.

He's also managed him at Chelsea so the idea of him going back to his old club to get his favourites is part of why I said it's a boring signing. Same with Matic. Just getting older players from his old club who won him the league.

Thats the vision? No thanks Jose
I think we need a right winger. Who would you go for who’s a better option ?
The only negative about Willian is his age & as I said, if we get 2 quality years out of him that would do me. I don’t give a £#%&! about the money. That’s for the Glazers to fret about

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Matic wasn't a bad signing. He improved us in an area which has been a weakness for far too long. I know what you mean, we're all worried about too many of this kind of signing, it's unambitious and potentially building up trouble down the track, but he wasn't the best example.
I'm not singling these guys out. They're just example of a vision and generally what the manager is all about.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:41 AM
andyroo

Quote:
I'm not singling these guys out. They're just example of a vision and generally what the manager is all about.
I don't disagree.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
I think we need a right winger.
I think we need a different manager and a hierarchy that sees beyond sponsorship.

You're asking me what curtains I think we should get for a living room of a house I want burnt to the ground.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Stickman

I’m with Clowny on Willian, really like the player but it’s wrong direction.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:48 AM
andyroo

If it were an out of contract freebie sure, but then so was Sánchez and we put him on some daft five year contract so it's the same thing.

As a huge money signing it's a big change in direction (for the club, not him) and not a welcome one.

Still if it's what we have to do to get this season off the ground. Jesus what a depressing prospect, but get on with it.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Sparky***

United aren't in the position unfortunately to wait around for 'potential' we need a premier league title soon, within the next couple of seasons or we really are going to be in the wilderness for a long time.

Unread 29-07-2018, 10:50 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
United aren't in the position unfortunately to wait around for 'potential' we need a premier league title soon, within the next couple of seasons or we really are going to be in the wilderness for a long time.
Winning one this way we could have both.
Closed Thread