United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-02-2007, 10:06 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Probably cause he has been the standout player amongst his fellow peers.

He hasn't exactly been given the chance to do anything yet.
He hasn't played a single top flight game. He hasn't even played internationally at under-21 level, let alone senior level.

The reserves are of an awful standard. All he really has to show for his talent so far is a handful of games in the Belgian second division.

He turns 20 this year, so I'd want to see some progress before getting too excited about him.

We did this with David Jones. Captain of the reserves, Young Player of the Year and all that but ultimately £#%&! all in the end.

Unread 26-02-2007, 10:10 AM
armchair

Miller scored too.

Unread 26-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Torquemada

Jonny Evans got MOTM this weekend. Anyone still feel we'll somehow conspire to make him not succeed at United?

Unread 26-02-2007, 10:28 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada
Jonny Evans got MOTM this weekend. Anyone still feel we'll somehow conspire to make him not succeed at United?
hes been motm in nearly all games hes played for them

Unread 26-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Johnson

Smith got a few man of the matches too before the senile one started playing him in midfield.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:07 AM
El Calafate

anyone got a link of Rossi's goal? nft.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
anyone got a link of Rossi's goal? nft.
It was a penalty.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:16 AM
El Calafate

Quote:
It was a penalty.
oh so he didn't score then? nft.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
oh so he didn't score then? nft.
No, they don't count.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He hasn't played a single top flight game. He hasn't even played internationally at under-21 level, let alone senior level.

The reserves are of an awful standard. All he really has to show for his talent so far is a handful of games in the Belgian second division.

He turns 20 this year, so I'd want to see some progress before getting too excited about him.

We did this with David Jones. Captain of the reserves, Young Player of the Year and all that but ultimately £#%&! all in the end.
That's harsh. The reserve league has become a mish mash is more accurate methinks. United have some superb prospects just now.

It's a tough juggling act though: how can United £#%&! Giggs, Scholes, VDS and Neville off the way they've played for most of this season? Yet Foster, Gibson, Rossi and Evans all look ready to make the squad to me. That means all the Smiths, Silvestres and O'Shea need to be sold. And then suddenly all the numpties start banging on about war-chests again. Maybe these kids need United to win the league this season more than anybody else?

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Rhodzy

I hope Rossi gets his chance, I will be pissed if he doesn't.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:47 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
That's harsh. The reserve league has become a mish mash is more accurate methinks. United have some superb prospects just now.

It's a tough juggling act though: how can United £#%&! Giggs, Scholes, VDS and Neville off the way they've played for most of this season? Yet Foster, Gibson, Rossi and Evans all look ready to make the squad to me. That means all the Smiths, Silvestres and O'Shea need to be sold. And then suddenly all the numpties start banging on about war-chests again. Maybe these kids need United to win the league this season more than anybody else?
Is it really that harsh? Blake used to murder the reserves, and then he goes to Plymouth and has scored three goals this season.

I know great talent can stand out in any game, but can we really be talking about bringing a guy into the first team squad when he has done absolutely nothing at a decent level?

Give him games, sure. I wouldn't, however, want to be in a position where we would have to depend on him. For instance, I wouldn't sell one of our current midfielders and replace them with Gibson. We need more reliability in the position, not more uncertainty.

Out of interest, was there any reason given for him staying at Antwerp after the winter break and not making the next step along with Evans and Simpson? I tend think the more brief the spell over there - the better the development is deemed to be going.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Is it really that harsh? Blake used to murder the reserves, and then he goes to Plymouth and has scored three goals this season.

I know great talent can stand out in any game, but can we really be talking about bringing a guy into the first team squad when he has done absolutely nothing at a decent level?

Give him games, sure. I wouldn't, however, want to be in a position where we would have to depend on him. For instance, I wouldn't sell one of our current midfielders and replace them with Gibson. We need more reliability in the position, not more uncertainty.

Out of interest, was there any reason given for him staying at Antwerp after the winter break and not making the next step along with Evans and Simpson? I tend think the more brief the spell over there - the better the development is deemed to be going.
He has missed quite a few games through injury.

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:54 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
He has missed quite a few games through injury.
Serious one? Has he played much over there?

Unread 26-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Serious one? Has he played much over there?
Had a calf injury and a knee injury I think.

Him and Campbell have done very well though.

Unread 26-02-2007, 12:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Had a calf injury and a knee injury I think.

Him and Campbell have done very well though.
They all do though, don't they?

It's an apalling standard of football. I remember, when it first started, reading about how well Higginbotham had been doing over there.

Wasn't Lee Martin Man of the Match in virtually every game he played?

Arsenal's young prospects are playing in cup finals infront of 80,000 people. Ours are in the Belgian second tier.

Unread 26-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Agree to differ in as far as I think they should be thrown in and the current makeweights need to get gone. Take your point about only having these kids as back-up. But I'd rather see Evans and Gibson make a mistake than Silvestre and O'Shea so there you go. If we are champions it maybe allows a bit longer for the kids to bed in if they are given their chance?

Unread 26-02-2007, 12:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Agree to differ in as far as I think they should be thrown in and the current makeweights need to get gone. Take your point about only having these kids as back-up. But I'd rather see Evans and Gibson make a mistake than Silvestre and O'Shea so there you go. If we are champions it maybe allows a bit longer for the kids to bed in if they are given their chance?
Evans I've seen a bit of, and he looked very promising.

Looked great against Celtic in pre-season, and I saw his debut for Northern Ireland against Spain. He was excellent against Torres.

Apparently he's been different class for Sunderland, too.

I think that (Evans for Silvestre) would be less of a risk. We would, presumably, still have Brown, O'Shea or Heinze to offer additional cover in the position.

I think if Sunderland go up we may see a few of these youngsters playing there in the Premiership next year, though. I think Evans would be a certainty for that.

Unread 26-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Tiberian

If Rossi is let go without being given a real chance in the team it will be something of disgrace. Of all the players outside the first team he has been the most impressive, looked a class apart in the(admittedly shite) reserves. Being a valued part of the first team squad next season and being at least on the bench most games would help.

His progress can not be blocked by Ole/Smith/Larsson types.

Unread 26-02-2007, 01:53 PM
dodger

Quote:
. But I'd rather see Evans and Gibson make a mistake than Silvestre and O'Shea so there you go.
What he said.
Closed Thread