United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's worth remembering Scholes and Carrick have played the whole season without much of a break so Tibs may have a point re fatigue. We wanted to sign two midfielders last August and only got one. I'm not arsed about the lads fee - got £#%&! all to do with me - but the midfield partnership was never intended to be Carrick and Scholes week in, week out.

If you give me the midfield options of Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves and Gibson next season I'll be very happy.
That doesn't say a great deal about Carrick though does it?

If we play 4-4-2

Carrick won't be playing.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:00 PM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
That doesn't say a great deal about Carrick though does it?

If we play 4-4-2

Carrick won't be playing.
Scholes and Giggs shouldn't be playing week in, week out. nft.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Whalefish

Yes he will be, Fergie has already spoken about Scholes next season - getting older, need younger players in there etc.

If folk just want two midfielders, and no decent back up, they deserve everything they get. At the momnet we're running Scholes and Carrick into the ground for exactly that reason. No depth. You add in one other we start to have options and I'll be very thankful for it. Just look at the Dippers and their options, rested Momo and Alonso today and still had two decent midfielders on the pitch. We can't do that.

Anyone who writes off Carricks contribution this season is an idiot. He may not be first choice next season but neither will Hargreaves (if he arrives) and Scholes. It's called healthy competition for places and that can only be a good thing.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
Scholes and Giggs shouldn't be playing week in, week out. nft.
We certainly shouldn't be relying on them week in week out but thanks to the lack of depth we have to. Anbd it'll cost us in the long run.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Yes he will be, Fergie has already spoken about Scholes next season - getting older, need younger players in there etc.

If folk just want two midfielders, and no decent back up, they deserve everything they get. At the momnet we're running Scholes and Carrick into the ground for exactly that reason. No depth. You add in one other we start to have options and I'll be very thankful for it. Just look at the Dippers and their options, rested Momo and Alonso today and still had two decent midfielders on the pitch. We can't do that.

Anyone who writes off Carricks contribution this season is an idiot. He may not be first choice next season but neither will Hargreaves (if he arrives) and Scholes. It's called healthy competition for places and that can only be a good thing.

A man with sense.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Coracao

Quote:

I wasn't arguing about back up and playing shite shites, but first 11...if you would pick Carrick ahead of Scholes in a big game, you're a bit of a dick.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
He did alright against Chelsea and Arsenal did he not?

And don't give me that %@#$&!s about how we only got 1 point like you did the other day, I thought you of all people would be knowledgable enough not to resort to an argument like that.

He is obviously tired, it was evident in Lille. Isn't that to be expected though?

It is his first season at a big club and he is playing in a system and at a tempo that he is not wholly familiar with. This happens to every new palyer in their first season at a new club.

Hopefully he will be rested against Reading so he fresh for the vermin.
The 1 point thing was rather facetious, and generally he had performed quite well . Still however i want him to show some leadership qualities. it may not come natural to him, but if he wants to fully exploit his potential he needs to be more assertive and confident, demand the ball, trust his ability. First season at a big club, maybe that is to be expected, but it is also a problem that has been obvious throughout his career.

I have never doubted his ability, it has always been his mental approach to the game.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
I wasn't arguing about back up and playing shite shites, but first 11...if you would pick Carrick ahead of Scholes in a big game, you're a bit of a dick.

Put it this way, the purchase of Hargreaves will see a formation change at Old Trafford.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Ether

Scholes has been £#%&!ing brilliant this season, and will be next season too. The reason he's looking a bit tired is probably because he's had to do so much work in that midfield. I like Carrick, but he's not exactly a hard worker.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Put it this way, the purchase of Hargreaves will see a formation change at Old Trafford.
If it does then i expect it to see a change in style and results, for the worse.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Perhaps, but like I said I'd be much happy if it was Carrick coming into the side/off the bench for Scholes when rested/subbed than O'Shea or Fletcher.

And I'm well aware Stan that Scholes has been excellent this season and most around Carrington credit Carrick as one of the reasons why - it's allowed him to get forward again and not play so deep for the full 90mins.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Scholes has been £#%&!ing brilliant this season, and will be next season too. The reason he's looking a bit tired is probably because he's had to do so much work in that midfield. I like Carrick, but he's not exactly a hard worker.
Nothing to do with his age then and the number of years he's playing at this level? He's never been the most 'fit' of players either.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Perhaps, but like I said I'd be much happy if it was Carrick coming into the side/off the bench for Scholes when rested/subbed than O'Shea or Fletcher.

And I'm well aware Stan that Scholes has been excellent this season and most around Carrington credit Carrick as one of the reasons why - it's allowed him to get forward again and not play so deep for the full 90mins.

Watch out, the blinkered tit might make a poll about you.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Like I have said, i was talking about first 11.

Would Carrick be in your first 11 next season if we sign Hargreaves?

He wouldn't be in mine.

Of course we would all rather see Carrick on the bench than Fletcher, that is a no brainer.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Ether

Quote:
Nothing to do with his age then and the number of years he's playing at this level? He's never been the most 'fit' of players either.
Of course it's partly because he's getting on. But in an ideal world that wouldn't be much of an issue, because he'd have someone next to him to do most of the hard work.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Tiberian

I can not see Scholes performing as well next season as this. He is not a natural athlete, like Giggs for example. if we get Hargreaves i could see a Carrick Hargreaves partnership being used in a lot of the away games, especially the tougher ones.

Scholes lack of mobility is a problem at times.

Unread 24-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I can not see Scholes performing as well next season as this. He is not a natural athlete, like Giggs for example. if we get Hargreaves i could see a Carrick Hargreaves partnership being used in a lot of the away games, especially the tougher ones.

Scholes lack of mobility is a problem at times.
Most said Scholes wouldn't do it this season though; he's finished they said; never get it back they said.

There's no reason at all that United can't line up with Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves all in the side. In fact, if Hargreaves arrives in the summer the three of them will play together many times next season - in a fair few formations, as well, and not just the 4-4-2 shite we've been treated to in the last two games
Closed Thread