United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:01 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Re: Who was the best Ronaldo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Barthez should have saved 2 of his goals imo.
downside of having a midget in goals.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:01 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Barthez should have saved 2 of his goals imo.
Defo.

Barthez

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:03 AM
n48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Ronaldo is what, 24?

Perhaps not even at his peak.

He's already outperformed (fat) Ronaldo on the European stage.

The thing that will count against him is if he never has a great World Cup and with the state the portugal side is in, that's a strong possibility.

The time to answer, will be in about 10 years time...

Trophies won doesn't come into it when comparing players. At their absolute peak is how they should be compared.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Sloppy

Quote:
Ronaldo is what, 24?

The thing that will count against him is if he never has a great World Cup and with the state the portugal side is in, that's a strong possibility.

Correct.

Was?

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
fat ronaldo was astonishing in his prime, genuinely hard to think of a number 9 who came close to his blend of power, pace, movement and finishing. van basten, maybe. maybe.

fat ronaldo was just frighteningly good, simple as that. a truly unique player who has a pretty good shout of being the best ever in his position. i think our ronaldo, for all his ability, is not at that level.
Similar things could be said of Cristiano. Also adding in, that he is probably one of the best headers of a ball in World football.

Like I said earlier, it is a bit of a pointless debate at this juncture, due to Cristiano's age.

I also think it can be easier to downplay Cristiano, when we have seen him week in, week out since the age of 18. Warts and all, if you will.

thatsfuctit

Tiberian

Cristiano is a superb player, complete modern day attacker but Ronaldo at his prime is the single most devastating player I have seen. Think of how good Henry was at his peak, Ronaldo was a better finisher, just as quick, far more skilful in tight areas, and had 2 great feet.

Without the terrible injuries He would be considered alongside Pele and Maradona as one of the 3 best players to have ever lived IMO.

The 90's was a great era for Football, Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, Batistuta, Figo, Baggio, Bergkamp, Del Piero, Cantona all at their prime, loads of other great players at home and abroad and Ronaldo stood out from all those na,es.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Trophies won doesn't come into it when comparing players. At their absolute peak is how they should be compared.
We might as well delete the thread now then, no?

And I wasn't talking about trophies. I was talking about performances.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Appletango

If his career didn't dissapear he would be talked about as one of the all time greats now. He's still only about 32 but went down the pan about 4 years ago now.

If anyone ever saw him at PSV, defences are shite maybe, but he was unbeliavable, same at Barcelona, Inter and then Real, almost unplayable most weeks, £#%&! knows what happened to him.

Is he still playing in Brazil?

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:09 AM
£#%&! KFC

they were/are both great players

but our former Ronaldo has been the best player in the world for over three years...the other one was never that for that length of time

and Cristiano is only 24 it's scary how good he could become

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:18 AM
n48

Quote:
Ronaldo is what, 24?

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Appletango

Just googled the fat Ronaldo to have a look through his stats etc. It said he is one of only 4 players to play for 5 G14 clubs.

Does anyone know who the other 3 players are? I don't, it's not a quiz, i'm just curious.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Is there an echo in here?

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
they were/are both great players

but our former Ronaldo has been the best player in the world for over three years...the other one was never that for that length of time

and Cristiano is only 24 it's scary how good he could become
The standards lower now though. As was pointed out, look at the players who played 10 years ago and look now. The top 3 players this year will be Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka. Even if they have a shit season they'll still be the top 3 because there is a shortage of genuine world class players.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:23 AM
taff

Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Just googled the fat Ronaldo to have a look through his stats etc. It said he is one of only 4 players to play for 5 G14 clubs.

Does anyone know who the other 3 players are? I don't, it's not a quiz, i'm just curious.
Davids; Ajax,Milan, Juventus,Barcelona, Inter

£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff

ffs

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:26 AM
n48

Ronaldos strength of character must be in his favour too. Leaving brazil for Europe at a tender age, his recovery from knee injuries and the capacity to take regular hacks from great serie a defences. He simply is head and shoulders above the Portuguese one. Take off your red googles and admire him.

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Spiffy

Lightbulb Re: Who was the best Ronaldo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff

I see he's a graduate of Prince Phillip's school of international etiquette.

Quote:
Davids; Ajax,Milan, Juventus,Barcelona, Inter
Anelka?
Kluivert?
Figo?

Unread 28-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I see he's a graduate of Prince Phillip's school of international etiquette.

Anelka?
Kluivert?
Figo?
Nope.
Closed Thread