United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 31-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
How can he be an "excellent referee" if he's making decisions on crowd reaction and not because an offence has been committed as per the rules of the game?
Very true.

I don't believe refs are bent or 'cheats' (stupid word in the context) but it makes far more sense that they'd be weak/egotistical. That's human nature. They need to be better than that though. They're supposedly top level referees who shouldn't be in any way influenced by crowds either way, or lack the professionalism to let their pride/ego get in the way of their job.

Clattenburg was on one on Saturday. And he's done it before. That Merseyside derby sticks in the head. He'd got it in his head that he wouldn't be influenced by the home crowd and subsequently couldn't give ANYTHING for Everton.

Unread 31-10-2016, 10:24 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Very true.

I don't believe refs are bent or 'cheats' (stupid word in the context) but it makes far more sense that they'd be weak/egotistical. That's human nature. They need to be better than that though. They're supposedly top level referees who shouldn't be in any way influenced by crowds either way, or lack the professionalism to let their pride/ego get in the way of their job.

Clattenburg was on one on Saturday. And he's done it before. That Merseyside derby sticks in the head. He'd got it in his head that he wouldn't be influenced by the home crowd and subsequently couldn't give ANYTHING for Everton.
Yep, I've seen him do the same thing to other teams in the past aswell. "I'm too good a ref' to be influenced by the crowd/manager etc", but he takes it to ridiculous levels and not actually reffing what he's seeing Weird @#%&!.

Unread 31-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Tumescent Throb

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
game was saturday lads. let it go.
hope this stays in your head all £#%&!ing day

Unread 31-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yep, I've seen him do the same thing to other teams in the past aswell. "I'm too good a ref' to be influenced by the crowd/manager etc", but he takes it to ridiculous levels and not actually reffing what he's seeing Weird c***.
Exactly. It can either way. They either fold to home crowds or give absolutely £#%&! all. Ultimately, both are just weak.

They're given too much freedom and too many excuses are made for them. Look at Howard Webb on BT, or when they trot out Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports. Even if they decide the decision a ref has made is wrong, they'll still look to defend them

"He's well placed ..."

"It's a tough job"

Footballers aren't afforded the same luxury. If they £#%&! up, nobody says "hey, football is hard".

They have too much freedom to impose their personality on the game too.

He's letting the game flow, that's good refereeing

He's just having a word with him, that's good refereeing

Ignoring that both decisions are wrong.

Human error creates enough inconsistency. Adding more interpretation only invites more.

And then people complain there's no consistency.

Unread 31-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Tumescent Throb

letting the game flow and getting it wrong is ok, but i'd like a time limit - 5 seconds say, after which you can't bring it back...

letting the game flow as an excuse for inaction is just cheating. you'll see dean more than happy to go back to an incident and book a player. but you'll also see him blatantly ignore incidents that should be yellow and not go back and book the culprit. it's selective cheating, essentially and it has an important bearing on that match and upcoming games as well.

changed my mind on video refs now as well. the game needs a right of appeal for managers/captains in real time. it's shit, but the FA is using TV already anyway but in a very biased way, with no recourse to the actual result if a referee £#%&!s the game up. It needs to be evened up.

Unread 31-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

changed my mind on video refs now as well. the game needs a right of appeal for managers/captains in real time. it's shit, but the FA is using TV already anyway but in a very biased way, with no recourse to the actual result if a referee £#%&!s the game up. It needs to be evened up.

Give them a flag that managers can throw down to the floor quite dramatically when they see a foul on the play.

Unread 31-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Give them a flag that managers can throw down to the floor quite dramatically when they see a foul on the play.
indeed.

or take away video evidence being used by the FA retrospectively.

Unread 31-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Very true.

Unread 31-10-2016, 11:12 AM
irk

No fouls. No substitutions. Play Jonathan E

Unread 31-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
No fouls. No substitutions. Play Jonathan E
tokyo away.