United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
and was one goal away from winning 3 PLs on the trot...

freggles won't ever be remembered for being able to spot players.

He should be remembered for being a brilliant manager, man manager and tactician (cue, everyone whinging about tactics...)

And he will, my point was, it's a bit odd giving him credit for working with a shit bunch of players when he bought them

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Everyone is entitled to use the full extent of their mean, spiteful, clueless, cynical, wannabe, ITK, hateful personality to think whatever they like.

Ferguson's legacy to me goes something like this:

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:36 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Everyone is entitled to use the full extent of their mean, spiteful, clueless, cynical, wannabe, ITK, hateful personality to think whatever they like.

Ferguson's legacy to me goes something like this:
I once killed a frog with a garden hoe. I pass that moment to you Throb as a legacy.

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I once killed a frog with a garden hoe. I pass that moment to you Throb as a legacy.
try it with a strimmer

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:39 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
try it with a strimmer
Did actually (unknowingly at first) go over one with a lawnmower last week but it was OK as it was in a hole

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Aman27deep

Quote:
Yup. 100%

If not for Sir Mother£#%&!er, united would probably be in the championship. Can't believe how much credit some people want to take away from him.

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
And he will, my point was, it's a bit odd giving him credit for working with a shit bunch of players when he bought them
They can't have been that shit though can they if they had collectively done so well.

Part of the problem I think is that the players were used to having such a good manager they aren't sure what to do now. I know I know it's lame as £#%&!, but I bet there's truth in it

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
They can't have been that shit though can they if they had collectively done so well.

Part of the problem I think is that the players were used to having such a good manager they aren't sure what to do now. I know I know it's lame as £#%&!, but I bet there's truth in it

Yeah obviously it's not as straightforward as us just having shit players. Remember, the nucleus of the 2008 double winning squad was still here up until last year (Scholes, Giggs, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick, Rooney) so of course not every player was shit. I think the point is, since Ronnie left, we've not brought in enough players of that quality to replace the outgoing.

It simply cannot be underestimated how devastating it has been to lose 4 club captains in one season. Absolutely unprecedented. Hence why I have much more faith in LVG - at least Moyes still had the majority of those players for one season.... and still managed to totally £#%&! us up

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Did actually (unknowingly at first) go over one with a lawnmower last week but it was OK as it was in a hole
spawny bastard

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:50 PM
forzagarza

Uniteds achievements were despite Ferguson. Could someone actually tell me what his managerial qualities were except shouting at people? His tactics were punt it to the wing and get crosses in. that only worked with players of a certain quality and has failed for years. Won 2 European cups but Liverpool won one. Yes you have to be at a certain level to get to that stage but then it's sheer luck- his European defeats are the ones which show up his tactial failings.

Unread 28-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Uniteds achievements were despite Ferguson. Could someone actually tell me what his managerial qualities were except shouting at people? His tactics were punt it to the wing and get crosses in. that only worked with players of a certain quality and has failed for years. Won 2 European cups but Liverpool won one. Yes you have to be at a certain level to get to that stage but then it's sheer luck- his European defeats are the ones which show up his tactial failings.
no a single club has retained the CL for 2 decades

also, when English teams were dominating the competition between 2005 and 2009 United won the thing, reached 2 other finals, a semi-final, won the world club cup and beat those english sides domestically to win 3 in a row.

calling him out on his tactics is therefore ridiculous.

that said, i'm glad we have taken the opportunity now that he's gone to bring a continental approach to our game. shame about the gap year.

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:04 PM
puressence

tactically naοve as when nani was sent was proven didn't know what to do and was outthought by jose ... won 2 lucky European cups aswell #fact

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:05 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
tactically naοve as when nani was sent was proven didn't know what to do and was outthought by jose ... won 2 lucky European cups aswell #fact

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Neo

Quote:
that said, i'm glad we have taken the opportunity now that he's gone to bring a continental approach to our game. shame about the gap year.
Changed your tune.

January 21st 2014 when the forum was discussing the possibility of Louis Van Gaal becoming Manchester United manager:

Quote:
you pretentious £#%&!s :shakehead:

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:09 PM
browser

Quote:
:shakehead:

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:10 PM
HotChip

Quote:

That doesn't even warrant a response does it?

St. Mirren Scottish First Division (1): 1976–77
Aberdeen Scottish Premier Division (3): 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85
Scottish Cup (4): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86
Scottish League Cup (1): 1985–86
Drybrough Cup (1): 1980
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983
Manchester United[232]Premier League (13): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
FA Cup (5): 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
League Cup (4): 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
FA Charity/Community Shield (10): 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1990–91
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1991
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

EVERY single one of us... Owes Alex Ferguson owes Alex Ferguson owes Alex Ferguson...

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:13 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Are you in character when you say that?
Obviously

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:14 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:16 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Changed your tune.

January 21st 2014 when the forum was discussing the possibility of Louis Van Gaal becoming Manchester United manager:
Everyone's allowed to change their position neo pal - in many ways, it's a braver man who can accept they were wrong and move on than one who persists with an incorrect view.

Full marks to throb for using his sabbatical as a time to reassess and move on. One thing is certain, he shouldn't be vilified for the errors he has subsequently corrected or served time for. And Throb has served his time.

Unread 28-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
EVERY single one of us... Owes Alex Ferguson owes Alex Ferguson owes Alex Ferguson...
Owes him? £#%&! off.

He got a statue, a stand, a road, millions of pounds and a lucrative place on the board.

All United supporters should be eternally grateful for what Fergie did in terms of the success of the last 25 years, but I don't think we're in his debt, ffs.

IMO he's escaped a lot of criticism for his lack of opposition to the Glazer takeover in 2005. He's the one man who probably could have prevented it, but stepped aside and let the parasites flock in.
Closed Thread