United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
The only thing simple is your logic.

He’s better on paper but he’s useless. No point having that Mercedes in tnevaragw if the engine is bust. Better to have a car that can actually move

Even when he was scoring he was lazy. I’d take runs around a lot over taking a season to get his confidence/form back after a minor injury thanks

It was a bad month, a bad couple of months and now a bad season. I wonder where the line gets drawn.
No, he’s also better on the pitch.

Martial is a much better player than James. Much better. James just works harder. Perhaps he deserves more chances for that alone, but he won’t contribute any more value because of it.

Anyway, this is all rather redundant, because we won’t see much of either of them once Ronaldo arrives and Rashford & Cavani return.

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:06 PM
dunk

If we have Martial and James on the bench and need to make a change, I’m bringing Martial on 9 times out of 10. End of story.

Martial has been clearly good enough and deserves at least the opportunity to prove he can do it again. James has never been good enough. Simples.

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:08 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No, he’s also better on the pitch.

Martial is a much better player than James. Much better. James just works harder. Perhaps he deserves more chances for that alone, but he won’t contribute any more value because of it.

Anyway, this is all rather redundant, because we won’t see much of either of them once Ronaldo arrives and Rashford & Cavani return.

I don’t know what game you are watching. Dunk I get. He’s just stubborn. But you have to choose either James or Martial as a reliable squad player - because that’s all they’ll be - and you’d go for Martial? Madness.

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:12 PM
dunk

Quote:

I don’t know what game you are watching. Dunk I get. He’s just stubborn. But you have to choose either James or Martial as a reliable squad player - because that’s all they’ll be - and you’d go for Martial? Madness.
It's for this season, if Martial doesn't show himself to be useful, he'll be off next summer. James is never going to be useful enough to justify any game time now.

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:13 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If we have Martial and James on the bench and need to make a change, I’m bringing Martial on 9 times out of 10. End of story.

Martial has been clearly good enough and deserves at least the opportunity to prove he can do it again. James has never been good enough. Simples.
“Deserves the opportunity” - like he’s not had that last season and given £#%&! all.

Been with us eight seasons and only three times has he broke into double figures in the Prem. and two of them times he racked up 10 and 11

“Just needs time lads”

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:15 PM
dunk

Quote:
“Deserves the opportunity” - like he’s not had that last season and given £#%&! all.

Been with us eight seasons and only three times has he broke into double figures in the Prem. and two of them times he racked up 10 and 11

“Just needs time lads”
He was actually injured for the bulk of last season pal. Had a nightmare year, nqat.

Was brilliant on occasion, the Derby at the emptyhad for instance. 1 last season, at 25, to prove he has a place, if not, see ya. Don't see what's unreasonable about that.

Not sure I understand the logic of binning off a talented player in favour of a shit one either

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:15 PM
shenwen

Quote:
It's for this season, if Martial doesn't show himself to be useful, he'll be off next summer. James is never going to be useful enough to justify any game time now.
He should be off this week, for exactly the reasons you give. As you keep saying, we need to make space. Perfect.

Quote:
He was actually injured for the bulk of last season pal. Had a nightmare year, nqat.

Was brilliant on occasion, the Derby at the emptyhad for instance. 1 last season, at 25, to prove he has a place, if not, see ya.
The famous injury

What’s his excuse for six of the previous seven seasons?

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
He should be off this week, for exactly the reasons you give. As you keep saying, we need to make space. Perfect.
That's why Dan is off, because he is never, has never and never will be good enough.

And I'm stubborn?

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:18 PM
shenwen

Quote:
That's why Dan is off, because he is never, has never and never will be good enough.

And I'm stubborn?
James is young. Needs time to play into form/confidence or some other %@#$&!s.

How about we get rid of both? Can we agree on that?

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

Yeah, same.

I don't think either should be at the club in ideal circumstances, but I can't see Martial ahead of James.

I've no doubt Martial will have about a month of decent performances at some point, but for the rest of the season he'll be carried.

James is miss far more often than hit going forward, but off it he picks up a lot of slack. With Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba and Sancho available as attacking options (with Rashford to come back), having someone like James who is happy to do the mindless pressing, and is pretty effective at it, isn't the worst option to have in the squad.

Quote:
Tbf Dunk he made 36 appearances last season. It's not like his entire season was ruined from injury and we couldn't get an fair judgment of the lack of anything close to effort he brought to the team.

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
James is young. Needs time to play into form/confidence or some other %@#$&!s.

How about we get rid of both? Can we agree on that?
That would be fine were we to replace them with a single player, but we won't have time. So bin the shit one, keep the potentially useful one and if he isn't useful, bin him next summer and bring in the replacement then. As I've been saying.

Mata, Lingard and James should all be out of the door before Martial this summer.

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:21 PM
believe

Quote:

“Just needs time lads”
Be fair he's only had six seasons

This is where the argument falls flat for me when it comes to defending Martial. Having the quality and not delivering it through any kind of determination is way worse than not having the quality but having a good go.

Give dunk his due though, you'd definitely want him on your side in a battle

(as long as he liked you)

Unread 29-08-2021, 12:22 PM
dunk

For the record, I like Dan James and have always had high hopes. It's become painfully obvious it can't ever happen though.

Unread 29-08-2021, 01:12 PM
Lok

James is an ok squad player. Unfortunately he seems to find his way into the starting XI way too often. He's clearly very limited but he has pace, his control is decent enough and he can finish. His vision and range of passing are obviously poor and it's unlikely they'll ever improve.

It's unlikely he's getting paid much and he appears to have a good attitude.

Martial is earning serious money and was purchased for a big fee (at the time). It's hard to justify how he is still here. Too expensive as a squad player and clearly never going to make it into the starting XI on a regular basis. Managers can't trust him. Not sure what we're going to see this season to change that. If someone offered £25m+ we should bite their hands off.

Unread 29-08-2021, 02:12 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
James is an ok squad player. Unfortunately he seems to find his way into the starting XI way too often. He's clearly very limited but he has pace, his control is decent enough and he can finish. His vision and range of passing are obviously poor and it's unlikely they'll ever improve.

Martial is earning serious money and was purchased for a big fee (at the time). It's hard to justify how he is still here. Too expensive as a squad player and clearly never going to make it into the starting XI on a regular basis. Managers can't trust him. Not sure what we're going to see this season to change that. If someone offered £25m+ we should bite their hands off.
So it was £50 million down the drain after all?

Unread 29-08-2021, 02:45 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

This is it

James- decent squad player on lower wages with a good attitude

Martial- overpaid consistently shit moody @#%&! that sulked when he had a number taken off him

Also we wouldn’t need to replace martial if sold because we’ve already got 3 striker and I’m pretty sure we were told on here you don’t need more than 3 in a squad.

Anyway I’m now looking forward to martial and James scoring this afternoon

Unread 29-08-2021, 02:55 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
This is it

James- decent squad player on lower wages with a good attitude

Martial- overpaid consistently shit moody c*** that sulked when he had a number taken off him

Also we wouldn’t need to replace martial if sold because we’ve already got 3 striker and I’m pretty sure we were told on here you don’t need more than 3 in a squad.

Anyway I’m now looking forward to martial and James scoring this afternoon
Has anyone considered the number thing might have been the cause of his poor form last season?

PTSD can cause long term problems if not treated properly. Can't have been easy for the lad getting flashbacks during games. He did have this look in his eyes if you looked closely:

Have united got an in house psychiatrist?

Unread 29-08-2021, 03:03 PM
NedKelly

Ah look, another thread that has descended into “I hate Anthony martial part 637838383”, despite it being about Dan James. Weird.

Unread 29-08-2021, 03:07 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Ah look, another thread that has descended into “I hate Anthony martial part 637838383”, despite it being about Dan James. Weird.
637838384*

I just slagged him off in the Doom/Covid thread.

Unread 29-08-2021, 03:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
637838384*

I just slagged him off in the Doom/Covid thread.
Closed Thread