Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Nail your colours to the mast
Team Jose 4 Life 58 78.38%
Send the miserable @#%&! to Paris 16 21.62%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Buck

Fergie should just make a comeback. By his own words he never took training so he can f*** that off and just turn up to the dugout on matchday. He's at the games anyway so it's not like he's up to much in this retirement lark.

Unread 09-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Fergie should just make a comeback. By his own words he never took training so he can f*** that off and just turn up to the dugout on matchday. He's at the games anyway so it's not like he's up to much in this retirement lark.
I would £#%&!ing love it.

Unread 09-11-2017, 07:23 AM
puressence

theyve redeveloped a stadium they were given

Unread 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Going back to city, when you have their money you can afford to have duds because they have the money to stockpile players of a higher price bracket.

You say they've spent 400m and Jose has spent 300m but that's not strictly true. No other club would have been able to spend what City have on building an entire training complex, redeveloping their stadium 3 times and adding tiers onto the stands as well as buying up half of east manchester....that's on top of spending 400 million in two summer windows. If you factor in all of the other stuff they've forked out on they've spent over a billion easily in the last 3-4 years.

They are operating on a completely different level.
Mate, we spent about £35m on a centre-half in the summer who has played about an hour in the league so far this season. We also have a £35m left-back the manager hates so much he’d rather play Ashley Young. A few years ago we broke our transfer record for Juan Mata; he can’t even get in the squad now. Martial cost us £60m and is now mostly a bench player.

Yes City’s spending is obscene, but it's hardly poor little United is it.

I’ve felt for a while now that United simply will not fulfill our true potential under this ownership post-2013. Hopefully we’ll win the occasional major trophy, but the utter lack of direction, let alone competence, from above will probably hold us back in general.

Unread 09-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Mate, we spent about £35m on a centre-half in the summer who has played about an hour in the league so far this season. We also have a £35m left-back the manager hates so much he’d rather play Ashley Young. A few years ago we broke our transfer record for Juan Mata; he can’t even get in the squad now. Martial cost us £60m and is now mostly a bench player.

I’ve felt for a while now that United simply will not fulfill our true potential under this ownership post-2013. Hopefully we’ll win the occasional major trophy, but the utter lack of direction, let alone competence, from above will probably hold us back in general.
Postage

Unread 09-11-2017, 08:41 AM
waynes ear's

When did Martial cost 60 milion?

Song needs updating to reflect the increase

Unread 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
When did Martial cost 60 milion?

Song needs updating to reflect the increase
Also thought shaw was £30m and previous manager also was not impressed. And Lindelof was 30.

But hey. Fachts

Unread 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Also thought shaw was £30m and previous manager also was not impressed. And Lindelof was 30.

But hey. Fachts
Benfica declare their business openly to the stock exchange. Lindelof's fee could actually reach £40m.

United have already paid €60m for Martial. The documents were leaked. There's another €10m due after he plays some more games for France, which could be regarded as inevitable.

Welcome.

Previous manager said that 15/16 would be "the season of Luke Shaw" btw

Unread 09-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Benfica declare their business openly to the stock exchange. Lindelof's fee could actually reach £40m.

United have already paid €60m for Martial. The documents were leaked. There's another €10m due after he plays some more games for France, which could be regarded as inevitable.

Welcome.

Previous manager said that 15/16 would be "the season of Luke Shaw" btw

the numbers don't really matter to your point, which I get. We've not been short of cash, but it's been spent astonishingly badly for the most part. Prob best not to get into who spent what when where and why

Martial though, for the record, wasn't a bad signing even at whatever price was set and I have no issues about how much and where he's playing. He's still young, has improved his workrate and alongside rashford (literally or figuratively) and lukaku will hopefully be here for a long time, and no doubt beyond Mourinhos time here.

Unread 09-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Clarkie

More like the a season of Saw, Siders

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM
TheFatGoth

Reports again today that he's off to Paris

See ya

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:

Grim, but very hard to disagree with.

Be nice if we spent some money on actually building a side, rather than correcting mistakes.

We've spent loads, but we've spent badly. Each new £150 spree seems to be an attempt to correct rather than build on the last splurge.

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM
puressence

hopefully have a new manager in by newcastle

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

Be nice if we spent some money on actually building a side, rather than correcting mistakes.

We've spent loads, but we've spent badly. Each new £150 spree seems to be an attempt to correct rather than build on the last splurge.
I don’t wholly blame any of the managers for the shit signings tbh. I’m pretty sure very few of the players that arrived were first choice for the managers, I include Fergie in that. Quite clear that there are some serious restrictions in place, and while it looks like we’re chucking money about willy-nilly it’s actually only being spent in the name of penny pinching in most cases. They’ll chuck a record fee about, but only for a ‘superstar’; they’ll chuck some money at a highly rated young player, as long as there isn’t too much competition and they can chuck a load of clauses in there to top the fee up. When it comes to any sort of established player, there are limits and we end up shopping at the bottom end of the market (Fellaini, Blind, Schneidelrin, Rojo, Darmian etc.). Occasional attempt at a punt/free signing, and it all feels like sticking plasters as opposed to any actual attempt to repair the wound that is the first team squad

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

That's where the manager changing also doesn't help. In a world where Moyes got to build his United side, Fellaini was probably an important brick for his lineup. For Van Gaal, it was clear that Shaw, Blind and Martial were very important players for him. But every time you change, and especially when you change to such a contrasting manager, you're rendering that all fairly insignificant and the process almost starts again.

Again, a clearer idea at board level would help. When you invest potentially £60-70m in Martial, maybe when you change manager 9 months later you consider choosing one who might prioritise his development. Any thread of continuity at the club at board level may have helped.

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Wonder what his basis for saying that is. Which club out there are close to matching United commercially but don't win the league?

It's not like we've gone long enough without winning the league to establish certainty on it.
I recall him using an example of how many shirts Liverpool sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Their much w***ed over academy is yet to produce a single first teamer for anybody, let alone for the side that's making everyone else in the premier league look like the shower of shit we are.
It took fergie 7 years before we started to see benefit from what he was doing at youth level. Much like it took busby years to see benefit from what he did. So given time city will see the benefit. It’s the only time I’d start to give a f*** about city, because them producing their own high class players would seriously f*** me off.

Wasn’t it reported a few years ago in red issue that the glazers had cut funding for the youth because they didn’t see the point of competing with city at that level? That’s criminal for a club with its proud tradition and owners who trade off it. Just another example of what a cancer they are to our club and the foundations that built it into the club they were attracted to.

Unread 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I recall him using an example of how many shirts Liverpool sell.

It took fergie 7 years before we started to see benefit from what he was doing at youth level. Much like it took busby years to see benefit from what he did. So given time city will see the benefit. It’s the only time I’d start to give a £#%&! about city, because them producing their own high class players would seriously £#%&! me off.

Wasn’t it reported a few years ago in red issue that the glazers had cut funding for the youth because they didn’t see the point of competing with city at that level? That’s criminal for a club with its proud tradition and owners who trade off it. Just another example of what a cancer they are to our club and the foundations that built it into the club they were attracted to.
I'm not saying it won't. I'm saying that despite them not having done it already and instead having built their side by spending vast amounts of money on football players - nothing we're not doing - they're leaving us for dead, and moaning about how unfair it is is totally beside the point.

Unread 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM
jem

the chances of united staying at the top for ever were slim, but.... really.... the glazers.... anyone even slightly surprised that we are just about doing enough to qualify for cl?

Unread 09-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Clarkie

This crap of hiring and sacking a manager every year or two is not helping matters. Although, least this bullshit myth of "We're United, we don't xxxxx" has been exposed.
Mourinho is just being an arse now

There is only going to be one man, that wants to manage us, who wants to be here for his career...
God love my local pharmacy if it happens...

Unread 09-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
That's where the manager changing also doesn't help. In a world where Moyes got to build his United side, Fellaini was probably an important brick for his lineup. For Van Gaal, it was clear that Shaw, Blind and Martial were very important players for him. But every time you change, and especially when you change to such a contrasting manager, you're rendering that all fairly insignificant and the process almost starts again.

Again, a clearer idea at board level would help. When you invest potentially £60-70m in Martial, maybe when you change manager 9 months later you consider choosing one who might prioritise his development. Any thread of continuity at the club at board level may have helped.
Again, agreed. The sort of corrective signings are often the new guy dumping the old guys stuff.

Is there only lvg who has sold on one of his own players ?

There's definitely a lack of vision

Safe pair of Scottish hands
Dutch silky possession philoso-£#%&!
Dry, ruthless winner

But then we have a standard to maintain.

It's ok for Spurs to be Spurs and get on with it. We're the only English club who just can't get away with not winning stuff.

We were mocked last season. Two major trophies won. That's most other clubs dream.

Liverpool have one in 12 years.
Spurs nothing in 9 years
Everton nothing in 22 years

But we have that fine line to tread between building some thing and staying relevant.

And we're really struggling.
Closed Thread