United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:19 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Jong-il
Check his goal scoring record. he was sick.
I'm aware of his goal scoring record, just thought he was a dull player.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:20 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter
United have never dominated europe at all. This thread is completely laughable.
Stupid, stupid @#%&!.

Go ahead, name your world-class, exciting, flair players.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
yes we have .but not at the very top level ..2 have won only 2 european cups with our resources is very poor imho
That's an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Erm, that isn't the point of the thread, I don't think any, even the most criminally minded dipper could deny that their success was far more built on very much a team and system rather than star "great" players.
Apologies. To dominate european football for years then surely they were class players? That's my point.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:22 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Apologies. To dominate european football for years then surely they were class players? That's my point.

Then name your great players.

Then compare them to Best, Law, Charlton etc.

Stupid @#%&!.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:27 AM
magic_cantona

Still waiting..........

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:28 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
yes we have .but not at the very top level ..2 have won only 2 european cups with our resources is very poor imho
It is to some extent, though Fergie was totally hamstrung in Europe with his best team by the foreigner rule. That team shoulda won a CL in my opinion and would've also. I also think it's harder to win in this era, especially when teams like the current dippers and Arse a coupla years back are able and willing to write off an entire PL seasion to concentrate on a CL win. Team,s like Brugges and Malmo don't make European Cup Finals these days. Still we have underperformed though I still don't consider Liverpool top "piss on us" as you put it.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:32 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
It is to some extent, though Fergie was totally hamstrung in Europe with his best team by the foreigner rule. That team shoulda won a CL in my opinion and would've also. I also think it's harder to win in this era, especially when teams like the current dippers and Arse a coupla years back are able and willing to write off an entire PL seasion to concentrate on a CL win. Team,s like Brugges and Malmo don't make European Cup Finals these days. Still we have underperformed though I still don't consider Liverpool top "piss on us" as you put it.

Totally agree about that.

And Pure is just a £#%&!ing WUM.I'm actually waiting for him to come out with 'City are better than United' or 'Sven > Ferie'.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:37 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Class players yes but were there great players, players of flair and style like those mentioned for United that was the question.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Pete's Shoes

You can only beat what is put in front of you but whoever won the English League title in the 70s and 80s had a fair chance of winning the European Cup due to the nature of the set up. Witness Forest twice and VIlla winning it. The European Cup was a lot easier to win than the Champions League, but as I said that is not Liverpools fault plus they have won both anyway. Check out their opposition on their way to the Euro Cups before the ban

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Totally agree about that.

And Pure is just a £#%&!ing WUM.I'm actually waiting for him to come out with 'City are better than United' or 'Sven > Ferie'.

or Nugent = class

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:54 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
or Nugent = class
Oh, I agree with him on that.

Unread 20-11-2007, 11:59 AM
The Watcher

I loved the 94 side, my favourite ever United team. Although they'd have done much better in the European Cup without the three foreigner rule, I think Palliser and Bruce’s' lack of pace would have been found out at the top level. Just look at the field day Romario had against us in the two games with Barca in 1994!

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:03 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Oh, I agree with him on that.
If we just had him up front, Senna in midfield and Cacapa at the back eh? We'd match those dipper teams that "piss on us".

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:04 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
If we just had him up front, Senna in midfield and Cacapa at the back eh? We'd match those dipper teams that "piss on us".
Jagielka and Scott Parker - the missing links.

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:05 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I loved the 94 side, my favourite ever United team. Although they'd have done much better in the European Cup without the three foreigner rule, I think Palliser and Bruce’s' lack of pace would have been found out at the top level. Just look at the field day Romario had against us in the two games with Barca in 1994!

Pallister didn't lack pace, he's one of the quickest centre back we've had. Yes Romario took the piss but we were constantly unbalanced in Europe by choices we had to make.

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Zorg

Liverpool's true greats I've seen play:

Dalgleish
Hansen

Steve MacMahon*

Bedders is right, their success was not really about great individuals but great - and very, very dull - team play.

*like £#%&!

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:07 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Pallister didn't lack pace, he's one of the quickest centre back we've had. Yes Romario took the piss but we were constantly unbalanced in Europe by choices we had to make.
Be interesting to see those line-ups and the ones we could have had.

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:11 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Be interesting to see those line-ups and the ones we could have had.
Gary Walsh at the Nou Camp wasn't it.

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Gary Walsh at the Nou Camp wasn't it.
*shudders*

Unread 20-11-2007, 12:54 PM
thatsfuctit

Keegan
Dalglish
Souness
Hansen

bear in mind we are in a different era in terms of exposure.

Players like Ray Kennedy, Big Nose, Callaghan, Heighway, Toshack, Neal, Tommy Smith, Hughes, Rush, Beardsley, McDermott and many more i have tried to erase from my mind, sadly did a phenomenal job for them for a long time.

Had they all been plastered over Sky week in week out they might be regarded in higher terms.

Dalglish & Souness would be the two though, Dalglish was all big arse, guile and craft, Souness could play but was psycotic too.
Closed Thread