United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-03-2016, 09:02 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
that is not what i've heard.

it will depend on cl participation and obvs cost a fortune for them to even listen, but...

We're signing Neymar too

Unread 22-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

We're signing Neymar too
i don't know anyone that works for barce...

we'll see what happens, but there are a few serious targets dependable on whether lvg can keep his job

Unread 22-03-2016, 09:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It really isn't. Signed a new 5 year deal a couple months back and is considered 'untransferable' by Munich. They only sell shit they don't want.

Agreed on Pogba though.
They're prepared to make tough decisions, though. The board and fans were gutted at Schweini going, but I think they let him go because the relationship with Guardiola was uncertain, even though it was Pep's last year at the club. I doubt anyone at the club really wanted Kroos to leave for Madrid, but they didn't want to be dictated to by the player and his agent.

If Mueller gives them a nod that he fancies something different and United slap £80m on the table, they may make another cold decision.

Unread 22-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Iron Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
ffs

"There's no evidence that he planned any of this!"

"It's basically the kind of thing he's done for 25 years now tbf."

"Stop talking about the past!"

What's a shame is that the thing you accuse me of is something I think you and a few others appear guilty of. You've spent so much time emotionally investing in resenting Van Gaal and blaming him for everything, that you're unable to give him a shred of credit.

We just beat City with three lads in attack tearing them to shreds, of which two most hadn't heard of six months ago and the other most had written off. That was enough for the lads on SKY to grudgingly give LvG some acknowledgement, but for some fans sadly not
Each new season has it's own requisite planning. You've no evidence that it was van Gaal's plan to use many of these youngsters during the season. He didn't talk about them, he didn't include them in his pre-season squad, he didn't play them at the beginning of the season. Harking back to what van Gaal did ten or twenty years ago is tenuous at best. You can deflect all you like, but van Gaal's poor squad management pushed him toward playing some of these youngsters. Look at how overplayed Martial has been this season. Where was Rashford then...?

And no I'm not emotionally invested in resenting van Gaal, I'm just frustrated at the tepid rubbish he's had us playing for the majority of his reign. It really isn't that difficult to understand! I'll praise him when we win, like I did after the Arsenal game. What I'm not going to do is blow smoke up his arse every time he pulls something off . You seem to struggle differentiating the football side of things with the personal.

P.S. one game doesn't override a season of underachievement.

Quote:
But the investment of money and time in Martial, Lingard and Rashford over recent weeks and months is typical Van Gaal. And he may sacrifice the final year of his contract making that commitment.
BTW this was an absolute whopper . You should have logged off then and there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
You used that term about some other poster than myself - I'm impressed
He does seem pretty high up on the autism scale, so you're probably right to be impressed in that he's learnt to ahem, communicate with other people on the internet (albeit still working out the difference between a smilie and a meme).

Unread 23-03-2016, 12:37 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist
Each new season has it's own requisite planning. You've no evidence that it was van Gaal's plan to use many of these youngsters during the season. He didn't talk about them, he didn't include them in his pre-season squad, he didn't play them at the beginning of the season. Harking back to what van Gaal did ten or twenty years ago is tenuous at best. You can deflect all you like, but van Gaal's poor squad management pushed him toward playing some of these youngsters. Look at how overplayed Martial has been this season. Where was Rashford then...?

And no I'm not emotionally invested in resenting van Gaal, I'm just frustrated at the tepid rubbish he's had us playing for the majority of his reign. It really isn't that difficult to understand! I'll praise him when we win, like I did after the Arsenal game. What I'm not going to do is blow smoke up his arse every time he pulls something off . You seem to struggle differentiating the football side of things with the personal.

P.S. one game doesn't override a season of underachievement.

BTW this was an absolute whopper . You should have logged off then and there .

He does seem pretty high up on the autism scale, so you're probably right to be impressed in that he's learnt to ahem, communicate with other people on the internet (albeit still working out the difference between a smilie and a meme).
Alright, we're getting nowhere with this are we. I actually initially felt he got a bit lucky with Rashford, but in fairness he's never had to play him. Memphis has lost out as a result really, hasn't he? And leaving Rashford in after WBA and Liverpool is worthy of praise.

And it's not something he just did 25 years ago; it's something he always does. So when I say he's put his final year at risk it's because he didn't have to. The two times Fergie decided on retiring, he bought world class prime footballers to go out on a high. Van Gaal has selflessly invested in Martial and Memphis, latterly Rashford, and it's not him who will get the benefits of that, surely you agree?

Unread 23-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Iron Fist

Quote:
Alright, we're getting nowhere with this are we. I actually initially felt he got a bit lucky with Rashford, but in fairness he's never had to play him. Memphis has lost out as a result really, hasn't he? And leaving Rashford in after WBA and Liverpool is worthy of praise.

And it's not something he just did 25 years ago; it's something he always does. So when I say he's put his final year at risk it's because he didn't have to. The two times Fergie decided on retiring, he bought world class prime footballers to go out on a high. Van Gaal has selflessly invested in Martial and Memphis, latterly Rashford, and it's not him who will get the benefits of that, surely you agree?
Well I'd argue he doesn't deserve to stay in the job, but I hope the club reaps benefits of his work.

Unread 23-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

not having that. fergie bought rvp at the start of his final season, but firstly he apparently did not know it was his final season until december and he didn't use the winter window, and secondly that team was at the start of a cycle with the likes of jones, de gea, welbeck, cleverly, rafael and hernandez all having had time invested in them despite patchy success and pretty endless criticism - much of which still persists...

van gaal has gone up in my estimation hugely with how he's handled the situation - routine and often clueless abuse - since we crashed out of europe (CL). if he manages to achieve some level of minimum attainment this season and hold on to his job then he could leave a real legacy with the work he's doing with the young players - but only if the replacement united pick buys into it.

Unread 23-03-2016, 12:31 PM
jem

Quote:
van gaal has gone up in my estimation hugely with how he's handled the situation - routine and often clueless abuse - since we crashed out of europe (CL). if he manages to achieve some level of minimum attainment this season and hold on to his job then he could leave a real legacy with the work he's doing with the young players - but only if the replacement united pick buys into it.
whilst it is true that he has handled the situation with the correct degree of disdain and ridicule for journos, it is also true that he created the £#%&!ing situation with his ridiculous midfield selections, particularly in away games. so... on balance... I would rather he hadn't had to handle it like this. the minimum level of attainment I would expect would be a consistent level of at least basic competence and an aim to entertain. he has failed already. pulling it round a bit by the end of the season isn't going to provide much hope going forward.

also, do not say "not having that" to siders. he is already in a fragile state. and I don't mean belgium.

Unread 23-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
whilst it is true that he has handled the situation with the correct degree of disdain and ridicule for journos, it is also true that he created the £#%&!ing situation with his ridiculous midfield selections, particularly in away games. so... on balance... I would rather he hadn't had to handle it like this. the minimum level of attainment I would expect would be a consistent level of at least basic competence and an aim to entertain. he has failed already. pulling it round a bit by the end of the season isn't going to provide much hope going forward.

also, do not say "not having that" to siders. he is already in a fragile state. and I don't mean belgium.
you have a point obviously, but imo it was the players who bottled the CL group (PSV at home we were close to full strength) and it was the players who made the basic errors that got us knocked out; van gaal couldn't prevent the injury crisis that coincided with the decider and he couldn't flick a switch and turn their confidence back on after that wolfsburg game, either...

Unread 23-03-2016, 12:56 PM
jem

Quote:
you have a point obviously, but imo it was the players who bottled the CL group (PSV at home we were close to full strength) and it was the players who made the basic errors that got us knocked out; van gaal couldn't prevent the injury crisis that coincided with the decider and he couldn't flick a switch and turn their confidence back on after that wolfsburg game, either...
obviously the players are responsible for their own performances (to a degree... I mean they have to follow instructions if they don't want to be dropped by mr unforgiving), but he puts out unbalanced teams every week. it is not always possible for players to overcome his system. and overcome it they must. when you are getting overrun in midfield every game because you only really have one midfielder, you cannot blame that midfielder for not being £#%&!ing superman. and you can't blame a defence for cracking if they have no protection and are constantly being exposed by their fullbacks being in the opposition half.

Unread 23-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
obviously the players are responsible for their own performances (to a degree... I mean they have to follow instructions if they don't want to be dropped by mr unforgiving), but he puts out unbalanced teams every week. it is not always possible for players to overcome his system. and overcome it they must. when you are getting overrun in midfield every game because you only really have one midfielder, you cannot blame that midfielder for not being £#%&!ing superman. and you can't blame a defence for cracking if they have no protection and are constantly being exposed by their fullbacks being in the opposition half.
we went into the PSV game off 3 straight wins and came out of it with 7 or 8 games without a win (crashing out of europe in the process) after the most gutless 0-0 draw imaginable... sure, there had been other 0-0 draws, but that game was the crunch match of the entire 1st half of the season.

Unread 23-03-2016, 03:14 PM
20 times

He's not in the promo video for the summer China tour apparently

Unread 23-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
He's not in the promo video for the summer China tour apparently
Something he deserves praise for. State of those things

Unread 23-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
You forgot to mention the consistently #@&%!ed substitutions too..

Unread 23-03-2016, 05:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
we went into the PSV game off 3 straight wins and came out of it with 7 or 8 games without a win (crashing out of europe in the process) after the most gutless 0-0 draw imaginable... sure, there had been other 0-0 draws, but that game was the crunch match of the entire 1st half of the season.
On how pivotal that PSV match was, you are spot on. Win that and all sorts of things become possible

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
not having that. fergie bought rvp at the start of his final season, but firstly he apparently did not know it was his final season until december and he didn't use the winter window, and secondly that team was at the start of a cycle with the likes of jones, de gea, welbeck, cleverly, rafael and hernandez all having had time invested in them despite patchy success and pretty endless criticism - much of which still persists...

Has he not indicated himself that he thought about going in summer 2012, but was minded to stay after the City title win? That could be a media construction as I can't remember for sure if he said it. But the meeting with Pep in which he told him to keep United in mind was September 2012. I think he probably knew that summer.

Fair enough re the next team, although having Van Persie and Rooney approach decline together was always going to be difficult. To be fair to Ferguson he cleared the path for the next manager to sell Rooney, but Van Persie was really the one who'd declined more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Sounds like you think LvG plays with too much risk

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:35 PM
jem

Quote:
Sounds like you think LvG plays with too much risk

no, it's not antonio valencia.

Unread 23-03-2016, 07:37 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Something he deserves praise for. State of those things