United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 19-04-2024, 09:41 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post

Narrator: it didn’t happen and ten hag went on to win two back to back cups with FC Cloggenheim and bunks said “see!!!”

Unread 19-04-2024, 09:48 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
Just so I know the thinking, do the Inners think that next season, we'll see a total about face with our tactics?

We'll dominate teams

We'll put an end to the 592 shots we face every game

We'll see no Rashford and Casemiro (clearly downed tools/not good enough but are starters every game)

We'll have a clear and recognisable style

The football will be brilliant.

Is this what's happening next season with EtH?
I wouldn't be surprised if all of the above happen to a large degree.

Ultimately because the culture of the club is hopefully changing, the shit@#%&!s are being marginalised and weeded out accordingly. Not sure it matters if its ETH or anyone else is in charge until that happens.

Unread 19-04-2024, 09:59 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Just so I know the thinking, do the Inners think that next season, we'll see a total about face with our tactics?

We'll dominate teams

We'll see no Rashford and Casemiro (clearly downed tools/not good enough but are starters every game)

I think the argument here is , it wasn’t this bad last season. Clearly something’s given way . We weren’t conceding lots of shots last season. Rashford was scoring goals. Our best defenders who can play with a high line and pass from defence were playing.

As much as the injuries are mocked , you need certain styles of players to play certain systems. The counter argument here is , if you don’t have the players to play a certain way he should change it. To which I agree with. However football managers are a certain breed , they’re very stubborn. If he is trying to implement his ethos and tactics he won’t be changing it.

Last season, we had a very good attacking left back which cause the opposition to think twice about defending on the left. Right now and for large parts it’s AWB who let’s face it, is a bit shit when he is attacking on his natural right side let alone the left.

The season has been poor for ETH nobody can deny that. However it wasn’t this poor last season. Most of the criticism towards ETH wasn’t happening last season. So I think whilst his tactics are a reason for why they have been this poor , his lack of pragmatism, maybe trust in a back line that isn’t good enough to stop counters.

Personally , other mitigating factors outside his control (greenwood/sancho/rashford/malacia etc) have made things 10 times worse. Whether or not ineos keep him will be interesting.

I think there’s as much reason to keep him right now as to sacking him. Last season we finished 3rd, two finals and a trophy. Thats enough for me to want to give him another season with a proper structure above. He has shown he can do it.

Unread 19-04-2024, 10:06 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins View Post

I think there’s as much reason to keep him right now as to sacking him.
If the job has no expectation’s then yeah.

Unread 19-04-2024, 10:07 AM
Zorg

Quote:

We'll dominate teams

Unread 19-04-2024, 10:14 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

I think there’s as much reason to keep him right now as to sacking him. Last season we finished 3rd, two finals and a trophy. Thats enough for me to want to give him another season with a proper structure above. He has shown he can do it.
Spot on....

Unread 19-04-2024, 10:24 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I think the argument here is , it wasn’t this bad last season. Clearly something’s given way . We weren’t conceding lots of shots last season. Rashford was scoring goals. Our best defenders who can play with a high line and pass from defence were playing.

As much as the injuries are mocked , you need certain styles of players to play certain systems. The counter argument here is , if you don’t have the players to play a certain way he should change it. To which I agree with. However football managers are a certain breed , they’re very stubborn. If he is trying to implement his ethos and tactics he won’t be changing it.

Last season, we had a very good attacking left back which cause the opposition to think twice about defending on the left. Right now and for large parts it’s AWB who let’s face it, is a bit shit when he is attacking on his natural right side let alone the left.

The season has been poor for ETH nobody can deny that. However it wasn’t this poor last season. Most of the criticism towards ETH wasn’t happening last season. So I think whilst his tactics are a reason for why they have been this poor , his lack of pragmatism, maybe trust in a back line that isn’t good enough to stop counters.

Personally , other mitigating factors outside his control (greenwood/sancho/rashford/malacia etc) have made things 10 times worse. Whether or not ineos keep him will be interesting.

Very well put

There’s enough of an element of doubt to keep him IMO. If we’re a year in with a new structure and there’s no sign of improvement, then fair enough and I’ll feel much better knowing he had a proper crack. By which time there should also be some more suitable candidates than the shower of shit were linked to now

Unread 19-04-2024, 10:36 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Yeah, can agree with a lot of that and, tbh, the injuries and structures around him are a huge reason I was 'In' until recently. But you do see teams around us losing key players but they can still function. You see other teams with 'worse' players than we have on the pitch, playing much better football and dominating us.

I think because the football has been so utterly dire, a lot of Reds patience has just gone. Seeing Rashford as a starter every week, despite him doing £#%&! all is another inexplicable EtH trait.

Again, I'd love EtH to prove me wrong because I genuinely like him. There's just some things that are absolutely indefensible though.

Unread 19-04-2024, 10:36 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
Very well put

There’s enough of an element of doubt to keep him IMO. If we’re a year in with a new structure and there’s no sign of improvement, then fair enough and I’ll feel much better knowing he had a proper crack. By which time there should also be some more suitable candidates than the shower of shit were linked to now
If he hadn’t been (relatively) successful last season I’d have wanted him out. You can’t have two season at the club with nothing to show for it. I’ve always maintained these past few seasons that until the structure changes it doesn’t matter who the manager is , they will be set up to fail. Now that is changing I much rather give a chance to the existing manager who is trying to sort out the poor dressing room amongst other things.

Make no mistake ETH has had a bad season. Nobody can deny this. I just think he has enough in the bank to give him a chance with a CEO/DOF etc who’s main aim is now to back our manager to make our club the best in the world again.

(I also think we need a manager to outlast some of the morons within the dressing room who thanks to Murtough and Woodward have been stealing a living, key thing at United is player power needs to be removed. That is finally happening with the new board)

Unread 19-04-2024, 11:20 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
Last season we played some really good football. Went to shit after the cup win. And this season it's been utter shite. The manager has to take some blame BUT the mitigating circumstance is the injuries, the shit with Sancho & Greenwood and various other @#%&!s in this squad.

Does ETH deserve another season with the right people backing him? Maybe...
Will he get another? I very much doubt it. I think he's gone. But what the £#%&! do I know?
Agree with this.

The problem with changing the manager every 2 years is that the new bloke will be under immediate pressure to start well. If he doesn’t, everyone from the players, fans and media will be on his back. There's no appetite for patience in social media led 2024.

Unread 19-04-2024, 11:22 AM
Bunker Buster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post

The problem with changing the manager every 2 years is that the new bloke will be under immediate pressure to start well.
Oh you best £#%&!ing believe I will be.....

Unread 19-04-2024, 11:42 AM
pedr0

"the inners" jesus wept

Unread 19-04-2024, 12:11 PM
Mou Mou Land

I am thinking about coming out of retirement and starting a new business selling snake oil.

Because believe you me, there are some real gullible idiots here.

Unread 19-04-2024, 12:16 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post
I am thinking about coming out of retirement and starting a new business selling snake oil.

Name names, son.

Unread 19-04-2024, 12:25 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

So this season has been a disaster because shaws been injured for some of it? Laughable.

BTW, we’ve had Dalot, Reguillon, Lindelof as well as AWB in there. 2 of which are regular internationals. If he can’t get a tune out of 5 different lbs maybe he’s not doing a great job?

Unread 19-04-2024, 12:28 PM
croady26

Sounds like Nagelsmann staying so really looking like it's Potter or keep Erik are the only options now

Unread 19-04-2024, 12:45 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Mourinho/KLF reference repped.

Unread 19-04-2024, 12:51 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if all of the above happen to a large degree.

Ultimately because the culture of the club is hopefully changing, the shit@#%&!s are being marginalised and weeded out accordingly. Not sure it matters if its ETH or anyone else is in charge until that happens.
Quote:

It’s all very well this common sense but those Bert’s in the pub have some acid wit, and there’s real agents he’s excluded that need a new Porsche

Unread 19-04-2024, 01:39 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of... View Post
It’s all very well this common sense but those Bert’s in the pub have some acid wit, and there’s real agents he’s excluded that need a new Porsche

Quote:
If it stops you posting and calling people on the internet idiots, then I'm all for it!

Quote:
Seeing Rashford as a starter every week, despite him doing £#%&! all is another inexplicable EtH trait.
For everything I've said about keeping ETH, I can't get my head around this bit. Its the hardest and most contradictory part for me.

Unread 19-04-2024, 02:01 PM
BigRonManager

We should be careful what we wish for. The next bloke may have us out of Europe by Christmas, 23 points behind the league leaders and flirting with mid-table irrelevance, outplayed every week by relegation fodder and horribly coached.

If we're not careful that is.