United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-07-2008, 10:25 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
If he's got 2 years left now then £20M+ is crazy money. We should play hard ball and tell them we'll cope again with no striker and see what the price is next year and failing that get him on a free the season after. Tottenham will know that they wont get £#%&! all for him and will hopefully take a lower bid.
Yeah, I'm sure it'll get sorted and they'll accept a lower bid eventually. I'd like United to get is sorted quickly though, so if it doesn't happen we can move on to a next target. If United were to put a bid in for another striker Spurs would shit themselves IMO. There isn't many big clubs out there who need Berbatov or will offer £20m + for him and they know they could be stuck with an unhappy player who could go cheap next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I wouldn't imagine The Hunter'd cost more than £20 million.

IMO Berbatov just has something extra than Hunter, if were to pay over 15 million for Hunter, which he'd cost, we might as well spend a bit more and get a proven class player. United is the perfect club for Berbatov, O.T is his platform.

Unread 16-07-2008, 10:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love

IMO Berbatov just has something extra than Hunter, if were to pay over 15 million for Hunter, which he'd cost, we might as well spend a bit more and get a proven class player. United is the perfect club for Berbatov, O.T is his platform.
To be honest I'd be happy enough with either.

Unread 16-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Tottenham wont let him go on the cheap. Look how much they made us pay for Carrick. You can say he's worth it in hindsight but look how much they paid for him from West Ham. Tottenham will expect us to pay through the nose and they probably know we need a decent striker and he's first choice. Personally I hope that this is a smokescreen for Benzema or Huntlaar.
If we pay over £20m, we are total mugs given Berbatov's age, the fact that he only has two years left on his contract, and that no other teams are interested in him. Then again we've overpaid for players in the past.

Carrick was 'worth it' in the long-run, but we still overpaid given that he was blatantly never going to sign a new contract at Spurs.

I'd be very happy if this was a smokescreen aswell. Not too sure about Huntelaar, looks a little limited to me and has been scoring in a shite league. Also interesting that none of the other big boys like Juve have followed up their interest in him.

I'd rather we spent really big on Benzema or Arguero. Make a massive bid and offer them £100,000 a week, and I'm sure either would jump at the chance to join us.

Unread 16-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Tbh if I heard the deal was off I wouldn't be too pushed.

Unread 16-07-2008, 12:34 PM
plopborsky

The carrick deal left a bad taste in spurs mouth, hence the reason they want more now and are not happy by the way united have gone about there business.

Unread 16-07-2008, 12:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
If we pay over £20m, we are total mugs given Berbatov's age, the fact that he only has two years left on his contract, and that no other teams are interested in him. Then again we've overpaid for players in the past.

Carrick was 'worth it' in the long-run, but we still overpaid given that he was blatantly never going to sign a new contract at Spurs.

I'd be very happy if this was a smokescreen aswell. Not too sure about Huntelaar, looks a little limited to me and has been scoring in a shite league. Also interesting that none of the other big boys like Juve have followed up their interest in him.

I'd rather we spent really big on Benzema or Arguero. Make a massive bid and offer them £100,000 a week, and I'm sure either would jump at the chance to join us.
Aguero isn't what we need in terms of a No.9 and there is £#%&! all chance of getting Benzema, even if we rolled up with £50m for Lyon, £5m for Aulas and £150k a week for Benzema, it's never going to happen, and they are the type of numbers you would have to be talking as an opener.

Berbatov and Huntelaar are about the only 'realistic' options for the number 9, as in available and want to come.

I'd have Aguero if Ronaldo left, but he would cost a bomb as well, I doubt Atletico would settle for less than 1 1/2 times what they paid, which is £40m ish.

Neither Lyon or Atletico ar ein a position in which they need or want to sell and neither player seem arsed about moving at the moment. Bad timing.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
The carrick deal left a bad taste in spurs mouth, hence the reason they want more now and are not happy by the way united have gone about there business.
Why would Spurs be unhappy with the Carrick deal? They held us to £#%&!ing ransom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Aguero isn't what we need in terms of a No.9 and there is £#%&! all chance of getting Benzema, even if we rolled up with £50m for Lyon, £5m for Aulas and £150k a week for Benzema, it's never going to happen, and they are the type of numbers you would have to be talking as an opener.

Berbatov and Huntelaar are about the only 'realistic' options for the number 9, as in available and want to come.

I'd have Aguero if Ronaldo left, but he would cost a bomb as well, I doubt Atletico would settle for less than 1 1/2 times what they paid, which is £40m ish.

Neither Lyon or Atletico ar ein a position in which they need or want to sell and neither player seem arsed about moving at the moment. Bad timing.
Whilst I don't think we'll sign Aguero, he cost Athletico £16m and would probably cost us £20m at most. Athletico aren't a big club, if a player wants to leave; he'll leave. They let Torres go for £20m and he's been the best player they've had this decade.

Paying anything over £20m for Berbatov is ridiculous and I'd rather the club didn't bother. Spurs are trying to be clever but the fact is that he's not really a part of Ramos' plans. He seems to view him as a luxury they can't really afford. I'd much rather we wasted the money on someone younger.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousebasher
Why would Spurs be unhappy with the Carrick deal? They held us to £#%&!ing ransom

Whilst I don't think we'll sign Aguero, he cost £16m and would probably cost £20m at most. Athletico aren't a big club, if a player wants to leave; he'll leave. They let Torres go for £20m and he's been the best player they've had this decade.

Paying anything over £20m for Berbatov is ridiculous and I'd rather the club didn't bother. Spurs are trying to be clever but the fact is that he's not really a part of Ramos' plans. He seems to view him as a luxury they can't really afford. I'd much rather we wasted the money on someone younger.

To be honest i'm not too bothered if we "overpay" for a player if he turns out to be a success for us.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Spot on.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Spiffy

Can someone please explain why Benzema is worth over £50m? I admit I've not been watching him but he cant be better than fat Ronaldo was at his peak for example. Benzema has been playing in a shit league just like Huntlaar has.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:48 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Spot on.
What would it matter ih Berbatov got 35 goals for us next season?

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
He wouldn't though.

Wouldn't complain if he signed but I think he should be second choice to Rooney and Tevez. 28m or 20m whatever it is for a second choice is a bit much.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Can someone please explain why Benzema is worth over £50m? I admit I've not been watching him but he cant be better than fat Ronaldo was at his peak for example. Benzema has been playing in a shit league just like Huntlaar has.
I can't explain why he is worth that, I have my doubts personally but he'll cost a fortune 'cos Lyon have just tied him up on a long term deal, he's being watched by and linked to half the big clubs in Europe and Real are gonna be bidding.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:51 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
He wouldn't though.

Wouldn't complain if he signed but I think he should be second choice to Rooney and Tevez. 28m or 20m whatever it is for a second choice is a bit much.
Maybe, maybe not, i could easily see him getting 30 though given that he got 23 in both his seasons at Spurs. If he did, who cares what he cost?

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
well it wouldn't, would it. I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Purely because Lyon do not want to sell him.

If Lyon wanted to sell him, it would be more like £20-25m, and most of that would be for potential.

Unread 16-07-2008, 01:55 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
well it wouldn't, would it. I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.
So what really matters is, would he do well, not what would he cost isn't it?

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Dont agree with that at all.

Thats would be around £24m then.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:32 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Dont agree with that at all.

You think we can get a player cheaply even though he's just signed a new long term deal and has stated he wants eventually to go to Real? Diarra cost £25 million going from Lyon to Real and he was a defensive midfielder.

Unread 16-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:

Whilst I don't think we'll sign Aguero, he cost Athletico £16m and would probably cost us £20m at most. Athletico aren't a big club, if a player wants to leave; he'll leave. They let Torres go for £20m and he's been the best player they've had this decade.

Top post.

I dont think Ramos is massively bothered either way, he just wants it sorted. Spurs are trying to rinse us for every penny, because they know they can. Given how much they're spent since January, they'd probably be quite happy to sell.

I think most would agree that £20m+ is ridiculous, especially considering we could do with a new right-back.
Closed Thread