United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
billy_costigan

cant be churlish about it the lads a very good player but i wouldn't swap tevez or rooney for him.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_costigan
cant be churlish about it the lads a very good player but i wouldn't swap tevez or rooney for him.
I'd swap Tevez for him in a heartbeat.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
21 League goals.

19 at Anfield.

Travels well.
and of the 19 - 15 were in front of the Kop end

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
I was going to come in here and say Fabiano.
Winter doesn't watch european, it's evident in his columns. He would fit in well with this forum especially for his love of Scholesy.

If Torres is the best striker in the world then why is a winger scoring more than him.
ronaldo is outscoring every striker in the world.

just thinking, tevez will probably cost us around the same as torres cost liverpool. would torres have been a better signing?

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Rossobianchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
ronaldo is outscoring every striker in the world.

just thinking, tevez will probably cost us around the same as torres cost liverpool. would torres have been a better signing?
Would he though? He is the focal point of there attack, and at United we haven't really got one. We interchange postions don't really have a focal point, so what i'm saying is i don't know if can do any other job apart from sitting up there imo and might not suit our attack and if we changed our attacking play for him would of ronaldo have got as many goals? We will never know, i'm happy with Tevez he has got important goals where as Torres hasn't.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Grimson

I wouldn't swap Torres for Tevez, for fear of a 'Galacticos' type thing happening. Plus Tevez is genuinely mad, and you need that in a squad. Players like him and Evra are a big reason, I'm convinced, we can go to Rome and look comfortable. Torres is fantastic but I gots to have my Tevez.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
MUFC

If we are talking best strikers in the world, I can't believe no one has mentioned Ibrahimovic

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossobianchi
Would he though? He is the focal point of there attack, and at United we haven't really got one. We interchange postions don't really have a focal point, so what i'm saying is i don't know if can do any other job apart from sitting up there imo and might not suit our attack and if we changed our attacking play for him would of ronaldo have got as many goals? We will never know, i'm happy with Tevez he has got important goals where as Torres hasn't.
I think earlier this season Ferguson (or Carlos?) cited that exact reason for not signing him. I wouldn't swap Tevez for him, just because of how well Tevez combines with Rooney, Ronaldo etc.

I wouldn't swap Rooney for any player in the world.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Serenity Now

If we exclude Ronaldo from the debate, based on their performance levels this season I'd say the only player who matches Torres in terms of pure goalscoring threat is Luis Fabiano. And Torres is a much better player than the Brazilian. So it's certainly not an outlandish claim to make.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
wee man

Quote:
spot on. It's about how an individual fits into the team framework - not about how many goals that individual scores. Ruud is statistically the best striker we've had for decades. Would we have a better team currently had we not sold him. IMHO - no. Ruud was a focal point for our attacks - as Torres now is for them.

Ruud>Torres.

Roonaldo/Tevez>Ruud>Torres.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Bang on the money for me that. Agree 100%.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:38 PM
keano's love

would swap tevez with torres in a heart beat.

Torres/benzema are not some lump forwards like shearer/ruud where they don't have the intelligence/mobility/passing/technique to interchange positions with ronaldo and rooney.

only they can't do is run around in the midfield chasing worthless causes like tevez. yup, they can't do that, they won't be arsed to do that as they will be nearer to oppositions penalty area creating havoc

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
He's the best striker in the World...

.... When he plays at Anfield

Watch him go missing again tonight.

Just like at the san Siro

Isn't Winter a Liverpool fan by the way?

He wrote Gerrards autobiography, didn't he.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Just like at the san Siro

Isn't Winter a Liverpool fan by the way?

He wrote Gerrards autobiography, didn't he.
and Marseille...

I like winter's articles these days. most articles are honest with no sense of abuism of late.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
would swap tevez with torres in a heart beat.

Torres/benzema are not some lump forwards like shearer/ruud where they don't have the intelligence/mobility/passing/technique to interchange positions with ronaldo and rooney.

only they can't do is run around in the midfield chasing worthless causes like tevez. yup, they can't do that, they won't be arsed to do that as they will be nearer to oppositions penalty area creating havoc
A younger Ruud > Torres.

Ruud may have held us back in the end of his spell here but let's not forget just how £#%&!ing good he was.

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
If we exclude Ronaldo from the debate, based on their performance levels this season I'd say the only player who matches Torres in terms of pure goalscoring threat is Luis Fabiano. And Torres is a much better player than the Brazilian. So it's certainly not an outlandish claim to make.
but surely the whole point is that 'the best striker in the world' is not just the player with the greatest goalscoring threat. torres is much more than a spanish ian rush, of course, but i think he's some way off 'the best in the world'. just another typically myopic english journo imo. i mean, let's be honest, if you make a claim like that then you'd better have a pretty good knowledge of what strikers are around. you reckon henry winter can give us some intelligent analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of, say, mario gomez? (not that i'm suggesting he's the best in the world)

Unread 02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
A younger Ruud > Torres.

Ruud may have held us back in the end of his spell here but let's not forget just how £#%&!ing good he was.
I don't think I can give credit to Ruud anymore, the way he reacted at the end of his days at united, especially to ronnie ( )

Although saying that, I get pissed off when opposition fans say he was one dimensional. was he £#%&!. he could outpace most when it mattered along with a certain bumboy of english press sol campbell.

Unread 02-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Tumescent Throb

Cristiano Ronaldo is clearly the best striker in Europe.

When people finally accept this simple truth, then we can all move on.

He scores all types of goals, from all different angles and from every point of the attack; he is two-footed and stunning in the air; he is powerful, fast, brave and his timing is innate - it seems he was born to play football and to score goals.

There isn't a more complete attacker in the European game right now, and Ronaldo has scored 59 times - in the global glare of United - in less than two seasons.

Unread 02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Dueling Banjos

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
what does the fonzie know about football.

Unread 02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
Your single mindedness (or dislike of) Tevez knows no bounds. Yes, that's all he does. Really is an average player that lad.

Torres went elsewhere. Get over it. Utd can't have everyone. Makes me £#%&!ing laugh that we're still debating signing one or the other. It should have been both, simple as that. The failure and inability to offload Saha cost Utd in the Summer and in January.

Everytime he £#%&!ing scores, or Tevez misses a chance/doesn't score in a game, you either have to comment on it or have a snipe at a Utd player. A player who actually wants to play for Utd, will be here for a few years yet and has actually contributed to what's been a pretty good attacking Utd side this year. Torres would have made it better? I don't know that tbh, you certainly don't either. It may have worked, it may not have. His performances in Spain for me certainly wouldn't have had him down as a certainty nor does his success at Liverpool.

Oh, even if the cash was there in the Summer it'd have been Berbatov and Tevez not Torres.

It's like £#%&!ing groundhog day on here at times.
Closed Thread