United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
first season ffs
It was bad enough losing out on buying him to the thieves, but after one season in England Glenn Hysen looked like Franz Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore rolled into one.

As someone else said, let's save the adulation until he either;

a) starts scoring regularly away from home, or against the big clubs (yes, I saw the goal against Inter);
b) has scored 25-30 a season for 4 or 5 years (like RvN did).

There's no doubt he's a good player, and no doubt he'd probably do better at United, but "best in the world"?

<scratches chin>

Unread 02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
If we exclude Ronaldo from the debate, based on their performance levels this season I'd say the only player who matches Torres in terms of pure goalscoring threat is Luis Fabiano. And Torres is a much better player than the Brazilian. So it's certainly not an outlandish claim to make.
Aye, and if you take goalscoring out of the equation (which, admittedly, is pushing things a bit when we're talking about strikers), then nobody can hold a candle to Wayne. And he's still likely to pop up with a goal at a vital time, how many 'vital' goals has Torres scored this season? How many goals have Liverpool scored due to Torres pulling defences to shreds? How many games have been swung by his presence when he's not been on the scoresheet?

Many facets to a centre-forward's game. Goalscoring is only one of them.

Unread 02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Tronics

Well if you look at the current strikers in Europe then you'd have to agree.

And he'll only get better with time.

Plus what you have to remember is that it's his 1st season in a new league/country and he's doing pretty well.

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Plus what you have to remember is that it's his 1st season in a new league/country and he's doing pretty well.
Again, Glenn Hysen.

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Serenity Now

Rio knows where it's at

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l9455c6KO9w

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
With every game I love Rio a little bit more.

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

I could watch that clip all day

Unread 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Talking

"direct, and pacy, and dangerous.... goal kick!"

Unread 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Luffy

In the Summer there was no player I wanted us to sign more than Torres. Was very gutted when he went to Scouse, was hoping they'd waste his talent the way Houllier wasted Gerrard and Owen but from the looks of it they're doing well. He looks a Utd player imo, him being there isn't right. I do think he is probably the best in the world at that job, or he would've been at a better club.

That said, Villa often keeps him out of the Spanish side and he's yet to move to a top tier club, he might outshoot his mate when he comes abroad.

Unread 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
gigo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
"direct, and pacy, and dangerous.... goal kick!"

Closed Thread