United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
TheNew

Default So the usual suspects are injured for tomorrow then?

Good news appears to be that Carlitos is good to go.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...&newsid=522781

Quote:
Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville are major doubts for United's Barclays Premier League clash with managerless Newcastle United on Saturday, but Louis Saha has an outside chance of making the squad.

Neville strained his hamstring during his comeback for the Reserves in mid-week, while Hargreaves injured his ribs in training.

Saha also picked up a knock in the build-up to Saturday's tea-time clash, but Sir Alex Ferguson says the striker could be involved against the Geordies.

"Louis got a knock in training, but hopefully he'll be okay - we're going to have a look at him later," revealed the boss at his pre-match press conference.

"Gary's hamstring was a bit tight at half-time in the Reserves game the other night. The weather conditions were appalling and the pitch was very heavy so we decided to take him off. Nevertheless, it was a good start for him.

"Owen got a knock in training in the ribs and is doubtful for Saturday. Chris Eagles is definitely out after picking up a thigh injury also in training. The number of training injuries we've had is amazing. But everyone else is fine."

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

I am actually starting to lose patience with Hargreaves now.

Does anyone believe it's his ribs?

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:10 PM
dodger

SHIT! Eagles too.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:11 PM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I am actually starting to lose patience with Hargreaves now.

Does anyone believe it's his ribs?
Definitely losing patience a bit as well. He's been decent when he's been in and excellent in patches, but I really don't think we are going to get our money's worth on the fella.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
believe

Quote:
Neville strained his hamstring during his comeback for the Reserves in mid-week, while Hargreaves injured his ribs in training.

Saha also picked up a knock in the build-up to Saturday's tea-time clash,
these 3 @#%&!s should be £#%&!ing shot

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
these 3 @#%&!s should be £#%&!ing shot
a little harsh on Mr Neville

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Whalefish

If Utd were playing one of Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea tomorrow or if it was CL fixture, he'd be playing IMO.

He looks like a player who'll be picked for certain games this season. For £17million that's a £#%&!ing lot. Perhaps we'll see more of him next season after a decent pre-season?

Anyhoo, fwiw I'd be playing Carrick every match until his confidence returns. Him and Anderson for me. We're at home anyway so shouldn't need a ball winner against the likes of Smith and Butt.

Anderson's a tough little bastard anyway.

Oh and it's another reason why a striker is needed asap. Saha misses the fixture tomorrow and we have no striker on the bench. Fingers crossed Bolton may offer some of that Anelka fee for him.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:42 PM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
If Utd were playing one of Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea tomorrow or if it was CL fixture, he'd be playing IMO.

He looks like a player who'll be picked for certain games this season. For £17million that's a £#%&!ing lot. Perhaps we'll see more of him next season after a decent pre-season?

Anyhoo, fwiw I'd be playing Carrick every match until his confidence returns. Him and Anderson for me. We're at home anyway so shouldn't need a ball winner against the likes of Smith and Butt.

Anderson's a tough little bastard anyway.

Oh and it's another reason why a striker is needed asap. Saha misses the fixture tomorrow and we have no striker on the bench. Fingers crossed Bolton may offer some of that Anelka fee for him.

Excellent post Whaley, agree with all of that and would love to see Saha off to Bolton (or anywhere really), especially if it funded a move for Huntelaar.

Also, glad to see Martin Samuel gone.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM
m14red

hargreaves was always going to be a crock. he's like owen. why we risked him I don't know.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Sparky***

I'll be surprised if Hargreaves ever manages to string 10 games together for us.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:51 PM
MUFC One Love

It was a big gamble and a lot of money. As Whaley says, I suspect he will be chosen for certain games, and for me, 17 million is too much to pay for a player to play that role.

The revelation that is Anderson has meant there hasn't been a lot of attention to Hargreaves missing many games, we also haven't really missed Scholes. Scholes coming back in a month or so is a huge bonus. I can't wait to see him and Anderson in midfield again.

It's only a matter of time before Anderson starts scoring as well. The past few games he has managed to venture forward more.

Unread 11-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Whalefish

I've already put myself up for circumcism if he scores tomorrow.

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
marlo stansfield

i remember posting about this when we signed him.

he has played less games that saha over the last 3 seasons...

has he played 3 games in a row for us yet?

its january now and we have hardly seen him play. we cant say the old "he just broke his leg" excuse as our little ronaldinho broke his leg last year and is out playing most midfielders week in week out.

september 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_talionis
he is injured now.

ideally i thought his injuries were just like for instance lampards or someone like rios.

when they have injuries you know that after they recover they will go on to play for months fully fit etc.

hargreaves KEEPS on breaking down.
and then when i look at league stats which show consistency due to every team playing near enough every week you see that he played 52 over the last 3 seasons.
thats about 17 league games a season.

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Neville strained his hamstring during his comeback for the Reserves in mid-week
£#%&!ing hell, he doesn't get any luck, does he? Is that the third come back games he's injured himself in now? I have to say, I'm becoming rather concerned about Neville’s chances of ever making it back!

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Whalefish

I seem to recall Hargreaves last two seasons at Munich have been affected by injury. Before that he was never really an automatic choice and spent a fair bit of time on the bench or not selected at all. Up to the end of the 04/05 season I'd like to see stats which showed how many games for Munich he didn't play that weren't due to injury.

His pre-season in the Summer was a mess as well. Like Tevez and Anderson, he simply didn't have one although for differing reasons.

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:26 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
i remember posting about this when we signed him.

he has played less games that saha over the last 3 seasons...

has he played 3 games in a row for us yet?

its january now and we have hardly seen him play. we cant say the old "he just broke his leg" excuse as our little ronaldinho broke his leg last year and is out playing most midfielders week in week out.

september 2007
You were lex_talionis?
Next you'll be saying you're violator

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
£#%&!ing hell, he doesn't get any luck, does he? Is that the third come back games he's injured himself in now? I have to say, I'm becoming rather concerned about Neville’s chances of ever making it back!
I thought he was just suffering from tight hammys, it isn't like he was in contention for tomorrow.

Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
fully fit etc

marlo stansfield

phil you know this is a joke.

we signed him for £17m.

how much did essien go for? how much did even diarra go for?

even when fit id say carrick is the better option alongside anderson until scholes come back...

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:29 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
I thought he was just suffering from tight hammys, it isn't like he was in contention for tomorrow.
He was only meant to be out for two weeks
Closed Thread