wonky no

Default would pele be the greatest player in the world

if he was in his prime and playing now?

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Scabs

No.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Baron

Yes. He had it all, including the vision to make any potential lack of pace void.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Don't know. But there'd be more @#%&!s asking questions in the meeja about it.

Just imagine the daily SSN poll after his latest super slo-mo back heel against Reading and Murdoch's abu army saying he reminds them of Brazil 1970.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Fountz

Default Certainly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
if he was in his prime and playing now?
Although not the greatest player ever IMO, there hasn't been a truly great player since Zidane was in his prime 6 or 7 years ago.

Fairly poor at the moment.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Yes. He had it all, including the vision to make any potential lack of pace void.
He was pretty quick in the 60s, even by today's standards. It wasn't until about 68 or so that he porked up a bit. He could ride a tackle like nobody but Bestie.

[YOUTUBE]KFgkzOSBA2s[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:37 PM
puressence

no maradona would still be the best player ever to grace this land

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Read the question again thicko

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Fountz

Quote:

He wasn't asking the usual, who was the best player ever.. he was asking if Pele in his prime would be the best player in the world now..

The answer is surely yes..

Unless you think the likes for Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rooney, Kaka, Fabregas or Henry are better than Pele, then the answer's yes.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:50 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
He wasn't asking the usual, who was the best player ever.. he was asking if Pele in his prime would be the best player in the world now..

The answer is surely yes..

Unless you think the likes for Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rooney, Kaka, Fabregas or Henry are better than Pele, then the answer's yes.
messi>pele

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:50 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Read the question again thicko
yes but pele was never the greatest

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:51 PM
wonky no

sat on the edge of the pitch, being treated with respect. £#%&! me, why did it have to change?

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:52 PM
borsuk

yes. i think pele is criminally underrated on here. maradonna was wonderful and carried his team alone at times, whereas pele played in a superb team. none of that means pele was a worse player. he did things i've never seen anyone else try. such imagination. magnificent.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Fountz

Quote:
messi>pele
You're being silly now..

Pure, if the question was.. "If Zidane was playing right now, in his prime, would he be the greatest player in the World" it would be simply asking, was Zidane better than those around at the moment..

..it isn't asking is Zidane better than Maradona or Best.

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:54 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
You're being silly now..

Pure, if the question was.. "If Zidane was playing right now, in his prime, would he be the greatest player in the World" is simply asking was Zidane better than those around at the moment..

..it isn't asking is Zidane better than Maradona or Best.
fountz its been along day your twisting my melon ...

order of the greatest players ever

1 maradona

2 zidane

3 besty

4 di canio

Unread 15-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Fountz

Quote:

1 maradona

2 zidane

3 besty

4 di canio
We'll start a new one..

Unread 15-11-2007, 07:03 PM
wonky no

Quote:

1 maradona

2 zidane

3 besty

4 di canio
there is no order.
maradonna was the greatest player of his generation, which just so happens to be ours. i wasn't around to see george single handedly play an international side of the park in a weaker n.irish team.

i have seen zidane play in a great french side and a couple of great club sides though and yes he was special but he was allowed to be special by those players around him. that's not taking anything away from him though.

personally i think, di canio, cantona, zola, ronaldo, our ronaldo and other players of that ilk are, even though they were/are great, on a lesser keel to the afore mentioned.

Anyway, my question is would pele be the best player of this generation if he was in his prime now.

Unread 15-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Anyway, my question is would pele be the best player of this generation if he was in his prime now.
Yes.. is the answer..

We've all answered it ( with the exception of Pure who can't get his £#%&!ing large noggin round it )

Unread 15-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
So you're saying if Pele played now, at his peak, and Maradona played in the 60s and 70s, which one would be better?

Unread 15-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Baron

Quote:

1 maradona

2 zidane

3 besty

4 di canio

Do you mean Di Stéfano or are you actually a bit "special" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He was pretty quick in the 60s, even by today's standards. It wasn't until about 68 or so that he porked up a bit. He could ride a tackle like nobody but Bestie.
Didn't mean he was slow, but compared to the supposed 'athletes' of today (players who can hit the 100m in roughly 11 & a smidge seconds) his physical attributes wouldn't have neccessarily had such a large impact on his career. Someone like Henry, who has depended on his pace to help him be such a top player for example along with his vision etc would still be made to look almost ordinary compared to Pele if he was around in the modern game.
Closed Thread