United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM
taff

i think we will be a lot richer for van gaal's time with us - more technically accomplished players, more confident youngsters, a squad with experience of adapting and working to a system. look at barca and bayern now; both operating at a high level on foundations that he put in place.

that said, i think united perhaps need a more radical overhaul in playing style than van gaal is inclined to offer at this stage of his career. something beyond outright possession football, or 4-4-2, or 'united always play with wingers'. it's why i would hope united would look to a much younger manager with his own ideas as a successor - pochettino is a good example, but there will no doubt be others. appointing another old boy with little to prove risks turning the club over to history and preventing it from moving forward. i'm undecided on giggs, if only because he has a foot in both camps: it feels like united are clinging too readily to the past when there is greater potential to evolve.

whatever the situation now, if van gaal has brought an outsider's perspective to united then i think his tenure has been a good move, to shake away the idea of the club as some sort of ageing politburo. a lot depends on our next move, but the opportunity is there. this transition has afforded us that.

Unread 10-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Zorg

Stil hoping there's a wax on / wax off vibe going on and that two or three additions to the squad and it'll all go *locks fingers together*

Admittedly this is looking close to mental illness by now

Unread 10-01-2016, 12:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
i think we will be a lot richer for van gaal's time with us - more technically accomplished players, more confident youngsters, a squad with experience of adapting and working to a system. look at barca and bayern now; both operating at a high level on foundations that he put in place.

that said, i think united perhaps need a more radical overhaul in playing style than van gaal is inclined to offer at this stage of his career. something beyond outright possession football, or 4-4-2, or 'united always play with wingers'. it's why i would hope united would look to a much younger manager with his own ideas as a successor - pochettino is a good example, but there will no doubt be others. appointing another old boy with little to prove risks turning the club over to history and preventing it from moving forward. i'm undecided on giggs, if only because he has a foot in both camps: it feels like united are clinging too readily to the past when there is greater potential to evolve.

whatever the situation now, if van gaal has brought an outsider's perspective to united then i think his tenure has been a good move, to shake away the idea of the club as some sort of ageing politburo. a lot depends on our next move, but the opportunity is there. this transition has afforded us that.
Yeah, good post. I mentioned it recently but I got the impression that the way the club was run towards the end under Ferguson may have been unsustainable without Ferguson. Part of the reason the hierarchy apparently like LvG is the great off-field changes he's made to how the club is run, which is something Moyes hadn't offered outside of his scouting bunker.

People talk ignorantly about LvG's age being an impediment to his ability to lay foundations at United, but he's always been ahead of the game and still is. Which is why the current managers of Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Ajax, Italy etc as well as Mourinho are students of his.

Wenger got it right when he called it disrespectful the way LvG, whatever his faults, is discussed, as did the Guardian recently.

Unread 10-01-2016, 12:48 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
£#%&! me, how certain people manage to brainwash football fans in to rewriting history, is beyond me. Did he modernise the training infrastructure at la Masia too?

Unread 10-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Coracao

The only positive thing I can say about him is that he got us into the top 4.

And then we were knocked out of a piss poor group.

We are horrendous to watch, it is shocking stuff. Really can't see us finishing top 4 without signings this month.

Unread 10-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
£#%&! me, how certain people manage to brainwash football fans in to rewriting history, is beyond me. Did he modernise the training infrastructure at la Masia too?
http://www.theguardian.com/football/...en-top-coaches

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:00 PM
andyroo

Whatever about his past, he's seriously blotted his copybook with some of the stunts he's pulled with us.

Still would prefer he pulled his head out of his arse and started playing some football to sacking him.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Whatever about his past, he's seriously blotted his copybook with some of the stunts he's pulled with us.

Still would prefer he pulled his head out of his arse and started playing some football to sacking him.
I wouldn't mind the players taking at least some of the responsibility got playing football, tbh.

We have reached a strange stage whereby a team containing Rooney, Mata, Martial etc can fail to even have a shot on goal for 70 minutes against a League One team despite having 70% of the ball and it's almost entirely the manager's fault

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:06 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah, good post. I mentioned it recently but I got the impression that the way the club was run towards the end under Ferguson may have been unsustainable without Ferguson. Part of the reason the hierarchy apparently like LvG is the great off-field changes he's made to how the club is run, which is something Moyes hadn't offered outside of his scouting bunker.

People talk ignorantly about LvG's age being an impediment to his ability to lay foundations at United, but he's always been ahead of the game and still is. Which is why the current managers of Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Ajax, Italy etc as well as Mourinho are students of his.

Wenger got it right when he called it disrespectful the way LvG, whatever his faults, is discussed, as did the Guardian recently.
Any examples of how he is still ahead of the game? Seems woefully behind it at the moment.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
All very interesting but just makes the shit he's serving up now and especially his use of Fellaini even more baffling.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:12 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yay we're back to what he did fifteen years ago. The daft thing is. Is that he had the exact same chance at United as he did with both Bayern and Barca. A solid basis with a squad that won the league two seasons before, a stack of cash to spend and a shit league to get to the top of. All that and he's managed to £#%&! it up and people still won't admit it,

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Any examples of how he is still ahead of the game? Seems woefully behind it at the moment.
Just because so many of the top managers around at the moment are using large slices of his philosophy at the biggest clubs in Europe.

And, like I say, the perception is that off the field he's done lots of good work in modernising many aspects of the club.

Perhaps his personality is too big and leads people to exaggerate his control of every single thing that happens on the field. Once upon a time a supposed top striker scoring three league goals in January would be largely his fault. Perception on BT was that it's Van Gaal's.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM
carlosartorial

'Ahead of the game' ffs. This oaf needs a minder to help him find his car due to his penchant for leaving OT absolutely blotto.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:20 PM
puressence

not sure why an fc fan feels the need to post about our manager you lost those privileges in 2005

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
'Ahead of the game' ffs. This oaf needs a minder to help him find his car due to his penchant for leaving OT absolutely blotto.
Oh no. I'm sure if Guardiola and Mourinho heard about this they would stop using so many of his ideas and methods in football.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:25 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
not sure why an fc fan feels the need to post about our manager you lost those privileges in 2005
FC fan? I've remained a season ticket holder at OT since 91, you try-hard, wobbling bullshit merchant.

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:25 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
FC fan? I've remained a season ticket holder at OT since 91, you try-hard, wobbling bullshit merchant.
did you start the thread ???????????????? you can apologise anytime

Unread 10-01-2016, 01:26 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Oh no. I'm sure if Guardiola and Mourinho heard about this they would stop using so many of his ideas and methods in football.
About time Van Gaal started using some of Van Gaal's ideas and methods in football.

Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Privileges

carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
did you start the thread ????????????????
Oh. Right. As you were...
Closed Thread