United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:11 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaldo
At Carrington we have a massive £#%&! off site with about 40 pitches on it, they have about 10% of the area we have, or less. No real room to extend there so probably easier to buy up dead land in eastlands than greenbelt land in carrington.
%@#$&!s. Greenbelt land in carrington is easier to buy up and develop than land in a densely populated inner city. They had to use cpo powers as throb is rattling on about.

What do you think united's carrington site was before it was united's carrington site?

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:13 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Is about to be gifted to the local cummunity gratis.

Next.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
All the kids in the club get Chelsea kit bags and gear, etc. Naturally, a 6-year-old kid who grows up in this system isn't going to know Chelsea as a newly minted plaything. They'll just be seen as one of the world's biggest clubs. It'll take a generation, but is happening all over the world. My U16 players follow the game passionately, but genuinely can't fathom how much of a nothing club Chelsea were on the global stage just a little over a decade ago. We are the last generation who will bemoan these clubs as 'nothing.' All kids care about are star players and trophies. Drogba and Essien legitimized Chelsea forever in Africa. Zlatan is doing the same for PSG across Europe. And their owners aren't going to just leave. That's the reality I fear.
Yep, unfortunately that's how it works. While historical clubs don't lose their respect and allure, it's not hard to build a reputation and status where it matters in a short period of time. For a lot of people across the world - and especially young players - Chelsea are already one of the big boys and the Frank Sinclair days are forgotten. It took less than a decade.

No excuse for us standing still, of course.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Is about to be gifted to the local cummunity gratis.

Next.
what do you reckon it'll weigh in at?

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:17 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep, unfortunately that's how it works. While historical clubs don't lose their respect and allure, it's not hard to build a reputation and status where it matters in a short period of time. For a lot of people across the world - and especially young players - Chelsea are already one of the big boys and the Frank Sinclair days are forgotten. It took less than a decade.

No excuse for us standing still, of course.
Absolutely, that's my point. City are doing more in the city of Manchester than United have ever directly done (other than indirectly through our success). Plenty of reasons why city are doing it but the effects will be positive for them. They are already.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Quote:
Firstly the selection of Manchester for the commonwealth games and of the olympic park to london were largely political decisions. Don Valley is in Sheffield and is a fine stadium, but for neither the second or third cityies to have a big athletics arena is a big shame. Athletics is easily accessible to kids with little money and any dismissal of the potential good it can do in the community cannot be taken seriously.

Secondly I have not dismissed the development that the arabs are carrying out in manchester, but surely you don't disconnect that from the compulsory purchase orders, the council's financial contribution and the loss of the facility itself?

Above all, the sight of City rolling over and getting £#%&!ed up the arse by etihad for a few pieces of silver, some shiny new buildings and football at £50 a pop is completely against everything they said they stood for, and that in itself is funny. More funny even than the fact they outspent United while United were dominating in the early days of the PL, although maybe not as funny as Kevin Reeves, Steve Daley and Kazimer Deyna.
Last I heard, Don Valley is closed and being demolished because Sheffield's council can't afford it.

Athletics can still happen at Eastlands - there's a 4000 seater athletics stadium next to the etihad. That is more than enough for all but the biggest international events (which the city can't afford to host anyway).

Football is also relatively easily accessible to kids with little money - more so than 90% of athletic events.

I don't care one bit that the council contributed to the development/stadium/whatever (and received a % of gate receipts) and I imagine, if you asked them, that they're pretty happy with how it's worked out for the city.

I also don't care about compulsory purchase orders in these circumstances. If they were needed to redevelop the area, then it's a case of breaking a few eggs to provide unprecendented redevlopment.

The rest is just desparate - nobody under 40 could even remember Steve Daley. 1979 ffs. 35 years ago mate.

thrush

Quote:
Absolutely, that's my point. City are doing more in the city of Manchester than United have ever directly done (other than indirectly through our success). Plenty of reasons why city are doing it but the effects will be positive for them. They are already.
United have have brought intangible quality to Manchester. Worldwide recognition, which isn't so bad for a regional City in northern England.

All the Sheikh (not City BTW) is doing is putting up a few portal frame buildings in some run down shithole. It'll look an even bigger shithole in a decade like what Eastlands does now.

red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaldo
Regardless of City's new training centre, ours at Carrington are still top notch and impressive as £#%&! to visit. Its been added to in the summer as well so i wouldn't worry about a lack of facilities
We still have the best advertising boards as well

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush
All the Sheikh (not City BTW) is doing is putting up a few portal frame buildings in some run down shithole. It'll look an even bigger shithole in a decade like what Eastlands does now.
Modular buildings ordered by Abu Dhabi

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:34 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne's Half-Time Pint
Last I heard, Don Valley is closed and being demolished because Sheffield's council can't afford it.

Athletics can still happen at Eastlands - there's a 4000 seater athletics stadium next to the etihad. That is more than enough for all but the biggest international events (which the city can't afford to host anyway).

Football is also relatively easily accessible to kids with little money - more so than 90% of athletic events.

I don't care one bit that the council contributed to the development/stadium/whatever (and received a % of gate receipts) and I imagine, if you asked them, that they're pretty happy with how it's worked out for the city.

I also don't care about compulsory purchase orders in these circumstances. If they were needed to redevelop the area, then it's a case of breaking a few eggs to provide unprecendented redevlopment.

The rest is just desparate - nobody under 40 could even remember Steve Daley. 1979 ffs. 35 years ago mate.
100% spot on. Shame you're a Bert. The council can point to attracting a billion pounds of investment, reclamation of vast areas of contaminated land, x jobs and complementary investment, metro link extensions all in an area that is amongst the most deprived in the whole country. Can imagine them being really red faced about all that.

If you don't like cpo's - use your vote to change the law - pointless raging against man city but pointless raging is fairly typical of this place I guess.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:34 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Modular buildings ordered by Abu Dhabi

Someone's massive ears are burning...

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Johnaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
We still have the best advertising boards as well
You know part of the recent Carrington development the other summer was a £#%&!ing 75 foot neon sign right? State of the art branding.

Also, we have the best Water Vole youth production line in the premier league, i have no doubt

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/08/manche...voles-4138365/

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

i didn't ask you to care about any of it

i care about it is what I said

the point about athletics is that it is accessible because it is inclusive - every kid can in theory easily practice the discipline that best suits them.

the point about don valley is that is/was in sheffield, not one of the big 3 cities. birmingham has the alexander. london has crystal palace. the politics of sport in school have been a disgrace, and the refusal to offer world class facilities up north likewise. manchester did benefit from the velodrome, no question. it should also have a world class track and field venue, because if it doesn't then it shouldn't have been awarded the games in the first place.

as far as city's spending history goes, you might think taking the piss out of them for it is desperate. people who followed football at the time are still laughing about it though, pal, just as they laugh at United getting relegated, they laugh at alan ball as well. and in 20 yrs time you might laugh at Moyes and we will laugh at how you lot sold out completely in 30 seconds flat after swearing you never would for 30 years

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Need the Arabs to £#%&! off and soon.
Disagree, the problem is our owners not theirs.

Our 06-09 set up would have beaten them to the pots still, theyre raising the bar for us and our club need to £#%&!ing accept it and react.

Those arabs aren't going to be leaving any time soon. We all said it about Roman and hes still here 11 years on.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Quote:
and in 20 yrs time you might laugh at Moyes
20 years time? might?

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Our 06-09 set up would have beaten them to the pots still, theyre raising the bar for us and our club need to £#%&!ing accept it and react.

Those arabs aren't going to be leaving any time soon. We all said it about Roman and hes still here 11 years on.
as true as that undoubtedly seems, the perspective has to be that in recent times Barcelona brought the spine of a great side through their ranks to see off the original galacticos and in the 90s United did the same to Blackburn and then to Newcastle. and although they didn't see of Abramovich, they did see off Mourinho with a carefully built squad the 1st time around and Mancini just last season

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:56 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Agree with that. City are no different from what ac did with all the dutchies and because of them people all around the world still have ac as their team. I don't know the full history but I think ac are city to inter's United yet people think ac are the milan club.

As long as we make the cl I think we'll be ok. If we miss out then we'll soon be the other Manchester club.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
20 years time? might?
yes might.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:58 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
and we will laugh at how you lot sold out completely in 30 seconds flat after swearing you never would for 30 years
Yes dunny, prepared to be laughed at by a handful of 70 year olds. Who cares about your multiple quadruples when such merriment can be had at your expense.

Can't ever remember any city fan not wanting to sell out tbh. city have had some of the most ludicrous owners in the world of football (Swales). All of my mates were desperate for a knight in shining armour to come and get them and delighted when they did. I've also not met one blue who remotely resents the new investment.

Tbf to united, we did put up a bit of a fight against the glazers. I didn't think you did though throb?

Unread 17-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Yes dunny, prepared to be laughed at by a handful of 70 year olds. Who cares about your multiple quadruples when such merriment can be had at your expense.

Can't ever remember any city fan not wanting to sell out tbh. city have had some of the most ludicrous owners in the world of football (Swales). All of my mates were desperate for a knight in shining armour to come and get them and delighted when they did. I've also not met one blue who remotely resents the new investment.

Tbf to united, we did put up a bit of a fight against the glazers. I didn't think you did though throb?
why do you keep quoting someone else and aiming your posts at me you £#%&!ing oddball
Closed Thread