United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
a world class athletics stadium should have been the legacy of the commonwealth games and benefits the entire north west

and i object on general principle to all compulsory purchase orders, with the exception of genuine environmental concerns
Bearing in mind that Sheffield couldn't sustain Don Valley and Big London can't sustain the olympic stadium, what the £#%&! would Manchester do with a 40,000 seater athletics stadium?

Manchester has the velodrome and there's still a 4000 odd (guess) seat stadium which now has tram links and a sport science/training facility right next to the ground.

I understand why you're annoyed about the arab money - though I think it was an inevitable consequence of the Premier League/your success that this sort of thing would happen - but I don't think you can seriously criticise the development that's gone on around eastlands.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:08 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne's Half-Time Pint
Bearing in mind that Sheffield couldn't sustain Don Valley and Big London can't sustain the olympic stadium, what the £#%&! would Manchester do with a 40,000 seater athletics stadium?

Manchester has the velodrome and there's still a 4000 odd (guess) seat stadium which now has tram links and a sport science/training facility right next to the ground.

I understand why you're annoyed about the arab money - though I think it was an inevitable consequence of the Premier League/your success that this sort of thing would happen - but I don't think you can seriously criticise the development that's gone on around eastlands.
This blue's better than that bitter Dakota bertie blert.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:10 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
How they've got there is complete £#%&!ing %@#$&!s and there is absolutely no achievement in anything they've done. But they've done it.

United on the other hand seem to have a really blazè view on City and not reacted at all.
United has got a really blasé view on United, that's what £#%&!s me off. £#%&! City. The enemy is within.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:18 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
United has got a really blasé view on United, that's what £#%&!s me off. £#%&! City. The enemy is within.
This is true also.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:23 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
They've built on the foundation that United originally put down in a way. Worldwide people with a passing interest will start to think that City are the Manchester club with the history soon enough.
it's already started. there was a programme on the radio about "soccer" in florida. they asked a bunch of early teenagers who they supported and they all said barcelona apart from one lad that said Man City.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:25 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
£#%&! off blue @#%&!

How? It would be mint if united invested a billion in Salford .

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:28 PM
thrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
it's already started. there was a programme on the radio about "soccer" in florida. they asked a bunch of early teenagers who they supported and they all said barcelona apart from one lad that said Man City.
Our style of Football over the last few years has made me think we'd fail to build on the fanbase. You'd have to be a die hard to stomach alot of it.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:31 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Switching teams is apparently a normal, acceptable thing in the usa. Similar over here I remember seeing abu's in leeds tops one year and villa tops the next.

If we can make the champions league this season then I won't be panicking but if we are in the europa we could well go the way of the scousers.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:34 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaFredsBigShoe
How? It would be mint if united invested a billion in Salford .
True
Might bring it up to South African shanty town standards

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Johnaldo

Regardless of City's new training centre, ours at Carrington are still top notch and impressive as £#%&! to visit. Its been added to in the summer as well so i wouldn't worry about a lack of facilities

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaldo
Regardless of City's new training centre, ours at Carrington are still top notch and impressive as £#%&! to visit. Its been added to in the summer as well so i wouldn't worry about a lack of facilities
Shame there are no top notch players or managers/coaches to utilise it.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:51 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Word. City's investment is helping transform an area in desperate need of transformation. It's that simple. The new facilities, in addition to the velodrome and other legacy projects are hugely significant for the area - much like the Lowry centre and imperial war and wider Salford quays development massively helped the area around old Trafford. The difference here is that city are directly investing whereas united had no direct part to play in the investment around the quays.

Tbf to the club, at least we are consistent - we've been basically ignoring Manchester for as long as I can remember which is daft given that Manchester and greater Manchester certainly, is still red. It won't last forever though and the club should ignore the communities that helped create it at its peril. Not sure it matters if you live in Florida mind and I thought the same about Abu dhabi. How wrong I was.

Carrington for example. Out there to rid ourselves of prying eyes and local community interference. City are £#%&!ing their carrington facility off in favour of a return to the area where the club is based. Bravo city indeed.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
There's only one United and that's a chocolate biscuit
Even Dundee are better than us ffs.

Unread 16-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Word. City's investment is helping transform an area in desperate need of transformation. It's that simple. The new facilities, in addition to the velodrome and other legacy projects are hugely significant for the area - much like the Lowry centre and imperial war and wider Salford quays development massively helped the area around old Trafford. The difference here is that city are directly investing whereas united had no direct part to play in the investment around the quays.

Tbf to the club, at least we are consistent - we've been basically ignoring Manchester for as long as I can remember which is daft given that Manchester and greater Manchester certainly, is still red. It won't last forever though and the club should ignore the communities that helped create it at its peril. Not sure it matters if you live in Florida mind and I thought the same about Abu dhabi. How wrong I was.

Carrington for example. Out there to rid ourselves of prying eyes and local community interference. City are £#%&!ing their carrington facility off in favour of a return to the area where the club is based. Bravo city indeed.
Innit. No point being mard about it.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Clubs like City, Chelsea, PSG etc know they are seen as newly-rich pretenders. They're also doing something about it. One of the things happening out here is the money clubs are investing in big youth clubs as a FFP/tax dodge/player development requirement etc. City fund Downtown United SC in New York - hundreds of youth teams, thousands of players. You may recall I turned down an academy job there. And of course they started a NY MLS team from scratch, completely usurping the grassroots efforts of the NY Cosmos. Chelsea now fund CASL, the biggest club in North Carolina, and local rival to the poor-sister club where I coach. They used to have a big plot of land with muddy pitches. Now they have this:

And this:

All the kids in the club get Chelsea kit bags and gear, etc. Naturally, a 6-year-old kid who grows up in this system isn't going to know Chelsea as a newly minted plaything. They'll just be seen as one of the world's biggest clubs. It'll take a generation, but is happening all over the world. My U16 players follow the game passionately, but genuinely can't fathom how much of a nothing club Chelsea were on the global stage just a little over a decade ago. We are the last generation who will bemoan these clubs as 'nothing.' All kids care about are star players and trophies. Drogba and Essien legitimized Chelsea forever in Africa. Zlatan is doing the same for PSG across Europe. And their owners aren't going to just leave. That's the reality I fear.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Johnaldo

Quote:

At Carrington we have a massive £#%&! off site with about 40 pitches on it, they have about 10% of the area we have, or less. No real room to extend there so probably easier to buy up dead land in eastlands than greenbelt land in carrington.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:06 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Innit. No point being mard about it.
The biggest danger for a club like ours is complacency. Not sure if fergie said that or it's just me sounding a bit managerial but either way, it's true imv.

You can react in a predictable way by constantly dismissing city achievements or you can use your energies to better them. In that way, I hope the club hierarchy are less like some of our fans. My fear is that this is all too far away for them to really care. Difficult to be that arsed about the communities of m16 and little hulton etc whilst you're in Taiwan signing up a tyre manufacturer.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
City are £#%&!ing their carrington facility off in favour of a return to the area where the club is based. Bravo city indeed.

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Johnaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Unread 17-01-2014, 12:08 AM
andyroo

Well I daresay they find some of the £#%&!wits we've been buying pretty amusing too.

I'm not shitting myself over the berts, but for £#%&!'s sake let's get our own house in order. Then we can be snooty as we like.
Closed Thread