United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-01-2016, 06:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

Look at the attacking options he had available when he arrived.

Rooney, Van Persie, Hernandez, Welbeck, Wilson
Nani, Young, Valencia, Januzaj, Zaha, Lingard
Mata, Kagawa, Fellaini.
It's alright, but it's hardly a group to get excited about is it? Especially as it very quickly emerged that RvP was finished.

Tbh, of that list eight players are still here. The only two I'd keep are Adnan, Wilson and Lingard. And that's just to see if they develop.

Van Gaal isn't getting the best out of the current attacking players, but while I think they're capable of a bit better, I don't think they're capable of doing what we need, consistently. That's why I'm happy for him to keep tearing it down while he's here.

Unread 11-01-2016, 08:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
He's here to leave something for Giggs to build on
That idea so fills me with confidence. Erm, not really

Unread 11-01-2016, 08:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The only two I'd keep are Adnan, Wilson and Lingard.
sage.

Unread 11-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
sage.

Unread 11-01-2016, 10:21 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

We're not close to where I thought we'd be, I thought Moyes was the aberration and LVG would come in and we'd tear the league a new one. Instead we're at the stage where his supporters now believe we're in full rebuilding mode and it's going to take the full 3 years just to put the foundations in for somebody else, all with the caveat that if the wrong someone else follows him it may still be shit after he's gone. Presumably if Giggs succeeds it'll be because he built on LVG's foundations, whereas if he fails it'll be because he tore up the magic blueprint.

The squad has been trimmed back too savagely, Kagawa, Hernandez, Nani and Rafael would all have bolstered this squad effectively even if he eventually binned them off when he got replacements in, for all he's a bit of a doorhandle I remain unconvinced that Cleverley is actually a worse footballer than Fellaini.

Most of his signings I like, Memphis needs to get his head down but the next manager won't come in and replace half the squad, that's one of the problems really there's an inescapable feeling that another manager may get a better tune out of the same players, and his man management from the outside looks piss poor, how much is Valdes picking up in wages to sit on his arse? we still look no closer to moving him on, we were a Madrid fax away from going into this season with Sergio Romero in net. Rooney gets excused months of poor form while Herrera and Scheiderlin spend games on the sidelines after single off games.

I just think he's a manager out of his time, he wants 3 years to put in place a system, that he's then going to walk away from, on reflection it's not really clear why the club would let him do that. Ultimately the football isn't good enough and isn't getting noticeably better, you can quote passages of Inverting the Pyramid at me and tell me that it's taken a lot of work on the training ground but my own eyes tell me its dull as shit and it got us knocked out of a piss poor champs league group.

Maybe 10 years ago it would've worked but we were just the one job too far .

Unread 11-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
We're not close to where I thought we'd be, I thought Moyes was the aberration and LVG would come in and we'd tear the league a new one. Instead we're at the stage where his supporters now believe we're in full rebuilding mode and it's going to take the full 3 years just to put the foundations in for somebody else, all with the caveat that if the wrong someone else follows him it may still be shit after he's gone. Presumably if Giggs succeeds it'll be because he built on LVG's foundations, whereas if he fails it'll be because he tore up the magic blueprint.

The squad has been trimmed back too savagely, Kagawa, Hernandez, Nani and Rafael would all have bolstered this squad effectively even if he eventually binned them off when he got replacements in, for all he's a bit of a doorhandle I remain unconvinced that Cleverley is actually a worse footballer than Fellaini.

Most of his signings I like, Memphis needs to get his head down but the next manager won't come in and replace half the squad, that's one of the problems really there's an inescapable feeling that another manager may get a better tune out of the same players, and his man management from the outside looks piss poor, how much is Valdes picking up in wages to sit on his arse? we still look no closer to moving him on, we were a Madrid fax away from going into this season with Sergio Romero in net. Rooney gets excused months of poor form while Herrera and Scheiderlin spend games on the sidelines after single off games.

I just think he's a manager out of his time, he wants 3 years to put in place a system, that he's then going to walk away from, on reflection it's not really clear why the club would let him do that. Ultimately the football isn't good enough and isn't getting noticeably better, you can quote passages of Inverting the Pyramid at me and tell me that it's taken a lot of work on the training ground but my own eyes tell me its dull as shit and it got us knocked out of a piss poor champs league group.

Maybe 10 years ago it would've worked but we were just the one job too far .

Don't disagree with much of that, but it's worth pointing out that we would have got Navas if we'd sold De Gea.

Unread 11-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Don't disagree with much of that, but it's worth pointing out that we would have got Navas if we'd sold De Gea.
Worked out £#%&!ing brilliantly the last time we got a slapped arse from Madrid who had £#%&! all interest in actually being here didn't it? That vs the best keeper on the planet. Van Gaal was 'unsure' of De Gea when he joined as well ffs

Unread 11-01-2016, 11:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Van Gaal was 'unsure' of De Gea when he joined as well ffs
Just as well there isn't anybody like that on Fred, eh

Unread 12-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
We're not close to where I thought we'd be, I thought Moyes was the aberration and LVG would come in and we'd tear the league a new one. .
Really? You thought we'd go from 7th to 1st in the space of what, 18 months? What other football club has done that in the premier league era?

Unread 12-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Needed a completely new squad? Not for me
Me neither.

Thats the goalpost move we've made very summer.

When Moyes started general consensus was 4-5 absolute max.

Then when Van Gaal took over the talk was a similar number.

Last summer we apparently needed more still and now were faced with a situation where we need to add 5-6 on the face of it. YCNMIU

Unread 12-01-2016, 12:34 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Me neither.

Thats the goalpost move we've made very summer.

When Moyes started general consensus was 4-5 absolute max.

Then when Van Gaal took over the talk was a similar number.

Last summer we apparently needed more still and now were faced with a situation where we need to add 5-6 on the face of it. YCNMIU
So when Moyes took over we needed 4-5 max, he signed one, then van Gaal took over, we lost Rio, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher and Giggs and everyone was a year older, and we still just needed four or five max? Makes absolutely no sense, pal.

Moyes needed to sign a few. We all agree that. He didn't. Then 6-7 left on frees in van Gaal's first 12 months, that's without even talking about who he wanted to get some money for. Kinda stands to reason that he needed to buy plenty of players then, surely?

Unread 12-01-2016, 12:48 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Really? You thought we'd go from 7th to 1st in the space of what, 18 months? What other football club has done that in the premier league era?
Tbf I thought Moyes £#%&!ed it up and the squad was better than 7th, ergo with a "World Class" manager and a decent budget then yeah I think we should be better than we are, Funnily enough so did you in December you flip flopping @#%&!.

Also Rodgers took Liverpool from 7th to 2nd in 12 months, as far as I'm aware no one bar Paddy Barclay accused him of being a genius coach.

Unread 12-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Tbf I thought Moyes £#%&!ed it up and the squad was better than 7th, ergo with a "World Class" manager and a decent budget then yeah I think we should be better than we are, Funnily enough so did you in December you flip flopping @#%&!.

Also Rodgers took Liverpool from 7th to 2nd in 12 months, as far as I'm aware no one bar Paddy Barclay accused him of being a genius coach.
It's incredible what having one of the top 5 players in the world playing up front will do for you.

No need to get abusive mate, i wasn't having a go. I agree with a lot of what you said.

I had high hopes for Van Gaal myself. He'll be out of a job come the summer I reckon when we fail to get top 4.
Closed Thread