United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2016, 09:42 AM
My Name is Keith

Default Another lvg thread

Obviously we've had loads of back him / sack him polls but I still felt there was a gap in the lvg thread market.

Just wondered if any of the cardies or anyone for that matter felt that lvg was doing a good job or had done to date? If so, what do think he's done well? Are we where you thought we would be 20 months into his reign? Squad development/evolution/results/style of play/possession stats etc.

This isn't to encourage a sack him / back him debate or to talk endlessly about what a huge restructure he has had to undertake. Just trying to understand where people are at.

Unread 10-01-2016, 09:45 AM
bobbledinho

I think he's overachieved given what he inherited. No wum.

Unread 10-01-2016, 09:51 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
Wow. 100% thick wool cable knit with large belt.

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:02 AM
NegativeNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho

£300m, and finishing 4th is overachieving? Getting knocked out of every cup competition by lower division sides, and epically failing in an easy CL group is overachieving?
Leicester are overachieving. What we are doing is getting embarrassing now.
How much better, if at all, are we now, than Moyes era?

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:02 AM
itisme_panaflex

Personally never expected him to win the league during his 3 years.
Had hoped he would gut and reshape the squad into something more sophisticated, allowing his replacement to reap the benefits.

But the football is unbearable to watch and if his replacement is giggs, then it may have been a waste.

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:06 AM
no fun

Football wise I come to bury LVG, not praise him, however there is one thing he does far better than Frogson..

The walk along the edge of the pitch, or, to be more specific, the walk down that slope from the touchline to the bench

Frogson used to take little short steps, almost running, and I always used to think he was going to fall over, but LVG is like a mountain goat, sure footed, no hesitation, never looks like he is going to stumble

And that's about it

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Football wise I come to bury LVG, not praise him, however there is one thing he does far better than Frogson..

The walk along the edge of the pitch, or, to be more specific, the walk down that slope from the touchline to the bench

Frogson used to take little short steps, almost running, and I always used to think he was going to fall over, but LVG is like a mountain goat, sure footed, no hesitation, never looks like he is going to stumble

And that's about it
Arf!

I'm struggling to think of anything he's done really well tbh and I HATE that I feel that way because I loved the idea of him smashing it with United, I actually thought he would.

I only really rate 3 of this signings he made so far and 2 of them I'm not even sure can be fully attributed to him. The football is shit and the results have been bang average at very best.

We badly need some impact from our next appointment, but I've got a bad feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
glassy

Moyes' major signings

Marouane Fellaini (£27.5m)

Juan Mata (£37.1m)

Total spend: £64.6m

Premier League points: 57

£1.1m per point in Premier League

Van Gaal's major signings

Angel di Maria (£60m)

Luke Shaw (£30m)

Ander Herrera (£29m)

Marcos Rojo (£16m)

Daley Blind (£14m)

Radamel Falcao (£6m loan fee)

Victor Valdes (Free)

Anthony Martial (£36m)

Morgan Schneiderlin (£25m)

Memphis Depay (£25m)

Matteo Darmian (£14.4m)

Bastian Schweinsteiger (£6.3m)

Sergio Romero (Free)

Total spend: £261.7m

Premier League points: 99

£2.6m per point in Premier League

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeNorris
Getting knocked out of every cup competition by lower division sides
What?

Anyway, I think it'd be an enormous reach to say he's done a good job, but I definitely think he's done some things well, so he deserves some credit imo.

Got rid of lots of shite from the squad. I think he might be laying some useful foundations for the next manager in terms of playing style. Catering at Carrington has seen a big improvement. He's dicked the scousers 3 times. Some bloody brilliant pressers. I think he looks good in a blazer. He did that thing where he said 'Louis Van Gaal's Red Army' in a funny voice. We've had an exceptionally warm winter.

Loads of positives

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:40 AM
glassy

Yeah, lvg is brilliant at being worse than Moyes, but on the other hand lvg is awful at being better than Moyes.

All schwings and roundabouts.

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:41 AM
92ToBury

He's got rid of a lot of the guff that the bedwetters were moaning about like Evans, Anderson and Clevs. Problem is, we've been treated to an era of dominance for 25 years and have to accept that Moyes was a catastrophic appointment. LVG has never been a long term strategy, more of a hatchet man and we need to have patience and let him get the squad into shape for the next manager.

The injuries we've had are ridiculous and we've not had a settled back four since September. There is the odd grumble that we hear coming out but nothing compared to the dissent from the players in the "£#%&! Off Phil" era. The players respect him and know what he is trying to achieve, so while they trust in him, I do too. May the rest of you pee freely

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:42 AM
The taste of...

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Red Al

It looks like he's here to the end of the season but if he doesn't think we need at least one signing in Jan the he wants £#%&!ing off now
It's a good learning curve for the board never again to appoint a manager so close to retirement as it feels like any employee who is working a months notice(3 years in lvg,s case).
He just can't have that same motivation as he did years ago.

Hiddink and anchelotti will come into the same bracket also.

Maureen plays dull football too.

£#%&! it I'll stick my neck out

Give it Giggs for the rest of this season to see how he does it can go 2 ways

1. He does well and everyone's happy(it shuts the sirs and co92 up for good)
2. He fails and then we £#%&! him off and get a top manager in at the end of the season(it shuts the sirs and the co92 up for good)

Shoot me down in flames if you all want but somthing has to change now and there aren't many top candidates available

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:44 AM
djsst

I like him but his football is £#%&!ing dire , no light at the end of this tunnel.

I see Steve Bates fishing in the People this morning.

Quote:
Manchester United target Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino as possible Louis van Gaal replacement

Unread 10-01-2016, 11:07 AM
andyroo

United pressing intently, dominating the ball and exchanging passes sounds terrific in theory.

At the sluggish pace we play and with the total lack of cop on we routinely exhibit it's awful.

Originally only having hoofing to the fro as a get out didn't augur well for the big fella's sage credentials. Dropping that but not having another alternative doesn't either.

Even the best can make mistakes, but the best don't continue to make them even when they're blindingly obvious. He's lost his sage mojo.

Unread 10-01-2016, 11:09 AM
NegativeNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
What?
OK, an exaggeration. But, we've been knocked out of cups by McDons and Middlesbrough, as well as being taken to replays by Yeovil and Cambridge.

Unread 10-01-2016, 11:12 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeNorris

OK, an exaggeration. But, we've been knocked out of cups by McDons and Middlesbrough, as well as being taken to replays by Yeovil and Cambridge.
Not Yeovil, we won that on the night.

Telling that as bad as it's been you have to make shit up.

Unread 10-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Switching Off

I think it's clear his time is coming to an end. Supporters are being incredibly patient considering and backing the team, and probably will do as long as they see an end date.

If Pep announced City today and then Woody announced LVG was staying another year I think there'd be a mutiny on the terraces.

Unread 10-01-2016, 11:24 AM
bobbledinho

Everyone has different expectations. The idea that this team of players, most of whom arrived in the last two years are going to be playing barnstorming football and winning matches at a canter is fantasy.

It's excruciating to watch. But i can see why LVG is sticking to his system to try and breed some sort of consistency, even if that is consistently boring. Injuries were a big problem pre-xmas and upset that consistency. I doubt he wanted to play the u21s against Wolfsburg.

I'm not even a diehard cardie, i have doubts about LVG. Just seems expectations of a lot of people are unrealistic. Not like we've done a Chelsea ffs

Unread 10-01-2016, 11:26 AM
NegativeNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Not Yeovil, we won that on the night.

Telling that as bad as it's been you have to make shit up.
There's a difference between making a mistake, and making shit up. £#%&!ing nob.
Closed Thread