United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-01-2010, 11:13 PM
MJ Ramone

Default Re: Big Andy...the end

I'll be sad to see Anderson go (if true of course)
Think he could (certainly should) be a decent player...I know he's frustrating as £#%&! & his goal return is abysmal, but under all that fat there's a good footballer.
We saw signs of it in his first season at United.

Our midfield is all over the shop though. It changes from game to game.
It's certainly our weakest area of the team in my opinion.
Nobody apart from Fletch is staking a claim to be 'undroppable'

Unread 24-01-2010, 11:35 PM
believe

edit: 1

Unread 24-01-2010, 11:37 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up Re: Big Andy...the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
yep berbs and nani too according to my sources.
get the £#%&! in !!

Unread 24-01-2010, 11:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I'll be sad to see Anderson go (if true of course)
Think he could (certainly should) be a decent player...I know he's frustrating as £#%&! & his goal return is abysmal, but under all that fat there's a good footballer.
We saw signs of it in his first season at United.
Agreed, but it's not just that. For me, selling him now (I very doubt it'll be the case, mind) having played him out of position almost constantly since he arrived, would just be bizarre. To sign one of the world's best young attacking midfielders in his age group, try to convert him into a defensive midfielder and then flog him when that doesn't work? If that happens, I think our reputation for developing players would take a knock.

But I don't expect it to happen. Fergie has always been a huge believer in his potential, so unless there is a serious off-field problem, I'd be stunned if he cut his losses and moved Anderson on when he's still only 21 years old. There's no reason he can't still go on to become a superb player.

Unread 24-01-2010, 11:50 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agreed, but it's not just that. For me, selling him now (I very doubt it'll be the case, mind) having played him out of position almost constantly since he arrived, would just be bizarre. To sign one of the world's best young attacking midfielders in his age group, try to convert him into a defensive midfielder and then flog him when that doesn't work? If that happens, I think our reputation for developing players would take a knock.

But I don't expect it to happen. Fergie has always been a huge believer in his potential, so unless there is a serious off-field problem, I'd be stunned if he cut his losses and moved Anderson on when he's still only 21 years old. There's no reason he can't still go on to become a superb player.

Unread 25-01-2010, 07:25 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

i think that's overstating the case ridiculously tbh. anderson was a promising player but he hadn't exactly set the world on fire at either porto or gremio. in fact, a lot of his reputation was on the basis of his performances for brazil at youth level, and there are players by the bucket who look world beaters there but never really excel at senior level.

united's reputation for developing young players is based on decades of success doing that, and on the fact that we have fergie in charge who will always be associated with that kind of philosophy. we could £#%&! both nani and anderson off tomorrow (not that we will, or should) and that reputation wouldn't take a knock.

as for playing him out of position, i agree to an extent. but he has been given games both on the left of midfield (where he played for porto most of the time) and further up, and he hasn't exactly dominated games. he plays deep for dunga as well, when he plays.

personally i wonder about his attitude a little bit. we saw him having some stamina issues when he first arrived and he still looks to be carrying a bit too much weight to me.

i hope we give him another couple of years. but if he does get moved on it's not united's reputation that will take a knock.

Unread 25-01-2010, 08:47 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i think that's overstating the case ridiculously tbh. anderson was a promising player but he hadn't exactly set the world on fire at either porto or gremio. in fact, a lot of his reputation was on the basis of his performances for brazil at youth level, and there are players by the bucket who look world beaters there but never really excel at senior level.

united's reputation for developing young players is based on decades of success doing that, and on the fact that we have fergie in charge who will always be associated with that kind of philosophy. we could £#%&! both nani and anderson off tomorrow (not that we will, or should) and that reputation wouldn't take a knock.

as for playing him out of position, i agree to an extent. but he has been given games both on the left of midfield (where he played for porto most of the time) and further up, and he hasn't exactly dominated games. he plays deep for dunga as well, when he plays.

personally i wonder about his attitude a little bit. we saw him having some stamina issues when he first arrived and he still looks to be carrying a bit too much weight to me.

i hope we give him another couple of years. but if he does get moved on it's not united's reputation that will take a knock.
Giovanni dos santos being a very good example of that. In fact it was him who actually did better than anderson in that under 17's tournament.

Anderson's a rare case. He looked so good for the little time he played with porto. even in a game against arsenal at emirates in champions league, I saw him dominating fabregas.

Odd that we are letting him go now though it true of course. Should certainly mean that fergie thinks hargreaves will be fit soon and one of the younger lads will be soon drafted in?

Pogba anyone? Looks miles ahead of the rest for our academy. Its like man playing with boys.

Unread 25-01-2010, 09:11 AM
waynes ear's

good move imo, he's shite, we need to keep provident off the doorstep. Cash in while he's still got some reputation

Unread 25-01-2010, 09:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Regardless of our reputation, I think in this specific instance we’d have to be open for criticism. For me, it’s not as straightforward as a player simply failing to fulfil their potential, because the way in which United have interpreted and tried to develop him as a player has been in complete contrast with what made him such a special and exciting talent.

He has always had a wide range of attributes, but the main things that originally had people excited were his pace, dribbling ability and creativity. You wanted him given the freedom to run at players and cause mayhem in defences for 90 minutes. His energy, work-rate and tenacity have always been there for all to see, but they were bonuses. Yet, from the moment he arrived at United, the coaching staff prioritised utilising his defensive/industrious qualities for the benefit of the team, almost always at the cost of reducing his ability to express himself as an explosive, creative player to the extent he had done previously. I can’t help feeling this has had a slow detrimental effect on his confidence, too.

Giving him the odd game here and there, months apart, in a more advanced position doesn’t really cut it, imo. If Anderson leaves United having not been given a genuine shot as an attacking player, it would raise serious questions about why we bothered signing him and I think I would have to join most people in Brazil and Portugal in believing that United would have failed with Anderson as much as Anderson would have failed with United.

Having said all that, I still think Fergie, while no doubt concerned by his lack of progress, isn’t even contemplating letting him go.

Unread 25-01-2010, 09:27 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
Giovanni dos santos being a very good example of that. In fact it was him who actually did better than anderson in that under 17's tournament.
I think the difference is that most people felt Giovanni always looked out of his depth at Barca. He had the big reputation stemming from the U-17 World Cup, but he has never looked anything remotely special at club level. Anderson, on the other hand, made a huge impression at Porto. Obviously he didn't play an awful lot of games, partly due to breaking his leg, but he was still extremely highly-rated when he left for United.

Unread 25-01-2010, 09:52 AM
carlosartorial

Good, he's shit.

Unread 25-01-2010, 09:53 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up Re: Big Andy...the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Good, he's shit.

no beating around the bush there carlo.....i like it

Unread 25-01-2010, 10:00 AM
magic_cantona

Thumbs down Re: Big Andy...the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio

Anderson's a rare case. He looked so good for the little time he played with porto. even in a game against arsenal at emirates in champions league, I saw him dominating fabregas.

We've seen him dominate Fabregas, Gerrard and Lampard at United.Problem is, he'll then follow up a quality performance with 10-12 abject ones.Some games against lesser teams - he's been dominated by utter shit and played like he's ill or as carlo puts it........

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Good, he's shit.

How many years can we say "One day, he'll be a right player!" when it's becoming very clear that he just won't.One goal in how many performaces?

Unread 25-01-2010, 10:43 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
We've seen him dominate Fabregas, Gerrard and Lampard at United.
I think to an extent you've answered your own question. People retain hope that he'll still be a great player based on what we've seen he's capable of. Simple as that. Demonstrating the temperament and quality Anderson has in big games at such a young age is something we should not forget. You don't have to be a fan yourself, but given that he's still only 21, it's fairly reasonable for people to believe there's plenty of room for improvement, especially in terms of achieving consistency.

Unread 25-01-2010, 10:50 AM
El Chalten

there's no chance he'll be sold in this transfer window.

nft.

Unread 25-01-2010, 11:02 AM
carlosartorial

He's been given 'a few days off'.

Basically means he's fled to Brazil after being told to get out and get his shit together after another £#%&!ING ABYSMAL performance last Tuesday.

Other professionals might see this as an opportunity to get themselves fit and maybe do a bit of extra training and the like. However I'll wager 'top boy Ando' is currently sat in his Mams kitchen eating multiple cheeses toasties feeling sorry for himself.

What a £#%&!ing £#%&!er.

He'll go in the summer.

Unread 25-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Stickman

I'm surprised at how his career here has seemingly plummeted. His first season he looked absolutely brilliant in the big games and played next to Hargreaves, the pair took the piss at times. Even next to Carrick the pair worked a treat on numerous occasions.

As has been said, it can't help that he's constantly in and out and partnering different players and we still have no idea what his position/role in the side is supposed to be.

Unread 25-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Baron

Would be ridiculous, you only have to look at Fletcher to see how some players develop 'late' as it were. Anderson has had infinitely more good games at the same age than Fletch did - being inconsistent at 21 is no crime (being a tubby playboy wanna be might be...) but what the @#%&!ing £#%&! are our coaching staff playing at if they can't find him a proper position & help to nurture some consistency out of his obvious talent?

Watching Nani put in one of his best displays in the shirt on Saturday it's a sign of getting the best out of what's there - the twins will probably get £#%&!ed off after 18 months, and Evans is now clearly on borrowed time etc...

Young players in inconsistency shocker. Who'd a thunk it.

Unread 25-01-2010, 12:21 PM
borsuk

how many games did andedson play for porto? i can't help but feel that his cool image masks what has been a pretty average player for a while now. as far as development goes, does anybody feel barca doesn't develop players because dos santos flopped there? united have consistently brought through young players and improved them. rooney, the da silvas, fletcher, not to mention a very raw ronaldo - and that's only in the last few years.

if anderson can't make it at united, with all the patience he's been shown, it will be nobody's fault but his own.

Unread 25-01-2010, 12:27 PM
carlosartorial

Oh c'mon Baron. Fletch's sudden spurt in development into being a first choice midefielder cannot be seen as being the general rule of thumb when judging all young players. Because they are under 23 they should be given 150 games to bed in now...
Closed Thread