United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:45 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Any more tales of the match lads, love them...every year.

Great thread.
Ey up, the fun sponge is here......

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Ey up, the fun sponge is here......

Unread 26-05-2017, 09:00 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unread 26-05-2017, 09:03 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Greatest night of my life. Had to be Ole too, what a £#%&!ing bloke he is.

Barcelona during the day was just magnificent, the singer before the game just added to the whole drama of it and you knew it was something special.

Never again will a team win a European Cup like it.

Unread 26-05-2017, 09:10 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Greatest night of my life. Had to be Ole too, what a £#%&!ing bloke he is.

Barcelona during the day was just magnificent, the singer before the game just added to the whole drama of it and you knew it was something special.

Never again will a team win a European Cup like it.

Unread 26-05-2017, 09:26 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is keith
was and will be the pinnacle of my united watching career which is obviously great but also sad in a way.

Me and my mates could hardly speak to each other immediately afterwards - on the coach back to the airport all in an emotional daze. Post euphoric haze.

Got married 3 days later with a replica cup next to me and lots of best day of my life jokes. We laughed as we wished all the blues the best of luck in their playoff final against gillingham the next day :
did you drink from the furry cup

Unread 26-05-2017, 10:44 AM
waynes ear's

edit: didnt see already posted

Unread 26-05-2017, 05:48 PM
red in cumbria

18 £#%&!ing years, there are people eligible to vote next month who weren't even born when it happened. That truly makes me feel old tbh

Unread 26-05-2017, 06:47 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
18 £#%&!ing years, there are people eligible to vote next month who weren't even born when it happened. That truly makes me feel old tbh
Jesus pal

Was having a good day until I read that

I remember more of this final than I do of the 2008 one tbh...

Unread 26-05-2017, 06:55 PM
MOE1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
MOE you silly old bugger, how did you hack bellers' log in?
TBH it was my nurse.

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Tiberian

2008 was probably the better side, but I could never love them quite as much as 99.

That year was glorious, not just the success but how it was achieved and the drama involved, like every romantic ideal you ever had of how Utd should play. Fast attacking football with numbers flying forward, no fear and that touch of heart stopping chaos at the back to keep you on edge.

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:17 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
2008 was probably the better side, but I could never love them quite as much as 99.

That year was glorious, not just the success but how it was achieved and the drama involved, like every romantic ideal you ever had of how Utd should play. Fast attacking football with numbers flying forward, no fear and that touch of heart stopping chaos at the back to keep you on edge.
99 was the better side ffs

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
It is close, just give the edge to 2008 because of how good they were in Europe over a sustained period, set a number of records. Far better at the back as well.

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It is close, just give the edge to 2008 because of how good they were in Europe over a sustained period, set a number of records. Far better at the back as well.
Yeah '08 the more complete side. In '99 we probably didn't have quite the individual star quality of say Juventus and others (though not far off), we weren't as tactically astute (leaked goals that year all season) and we maybe didn't even have as much top level experience as them. But we were fearless, which was so exciting. You just felt get those sides to OT, play with that quick off the cuff tempo, get Giggs running at them - they can't live with us.

For '08 and the years after you're looking at a more pragmatic side, with many of the best players around in their position. We could play, but we could also frustrate. I remember the Italians being massively impressed with our Catenaccio style win in Rome

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah '08 the more complete side. In '99 we probably didn't have quite the individual star quality of say Juventus and others (though not far off), we weren't as tactically astute (leaked goals that year all season) and we maybe didn't even have as much top level experience as them. But we were fearless, which was so exciting. You just felt get those sides to OT, play with that quick off the cuff tempo, get Giggs running at them - they can't live with us.
out-played barca and picked them apart in camp nou. seconds from deservedly winning in munich. totally out-classed juve from about 20 minutes in in the semi in turin. rode our luck a bit in milan but with a 2-0 lead already after schooling them at home.

we were the best team in world by the time we won the final imo.

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
out-played barca and picked them apart in camp nou. seconds from deservedly winning in munich. totally out-classed juve from about 20 minutes in in the semi in turin. rode our luck a bit in milan but with a 2-0 lead already after schooling them at home.

Yes, agree. There's a reason why that side achieved the Treble and no other English team ever has

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Also largely outplayed by Juve at OT (was gutted watching that because it felt like there was still another level) and the final we were very poor and our victory is almost inexplicable. That didn't happen to the Moscow side ever. But I didn't say we weren't the best side in 1999; we certainly deserved it. I just think in '99 there was basically nothing in it. Whereas ahead of Moscow for me it was about confirming our superiority over European football.

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:24 PM
big chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
This. Was a poor game, but how we won it in a matter of minutes - 3 minutes of extra time. Frickin unbelievable

I remember the Las Ramblas afterwards - lads who didn't have anywhere to kip &were staying up for their flights.

We lost one lad in our group, found him & he told us that he'd just been sucked off by a trannie. We were buzzing too much too question

Unread 26-05-2017, 11:14 PM
red in cumbria

This isn't a universally held view I know, but I think our "crapness" in the 1999 final is a bit overstated.

Their goal was rather a fluke from a distinctly soft free kick, and apart from hitting the woodwork in the 2nd half Bayern never massively threatened again.

And we pinned them back for much of the last half hour or so - I walked out in disgust after that Yorke air shot come 80-something minutes. Came back just in time for the equaliser

Unread 26-05-2017, 11:39 PM
MJ Ramone

I did my knee ligaments celebrating Ole's goal - which he did too iirc
I was in agony the next day ffs

It's the Sheringham goal that I remember most of all though (I don't even remember Ole's goal properly. I was still jumping around like a @#%&!) ..the £#%&!ing relief when Teddy dragged that shot into the bottom corner.
How do you ever get a high like that again ffs? It's no wonder we're all such hysterical, spoiled @#%&!s!

State of Beckhams corners at that stage of the game though
Closed Thread