Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-05-2017, 12:47 AM
VodkaAndCoke

Default 18 years ago today

£#%&! me, where has the time gone?

Unread 26-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Sparky***

I think it's still the most incredible thing witnessed in modern football tbh.

Losing 1-0 in injury time in the european cup final and then scoring 2 goals in 3 mins. Absolute £#%&!ing nonsense it was.

Utter disbelief.

Unread 26-05-2017, 12:55 AM
Stickman

I was in disbelief at full time.

me and my dad sat there in stunned silence for a bit after the full time whistle.

Unread 26-05-2017, 01:11 AM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Losing 1-0 in injury time in the european cup final and then scoring 2 goals in 3 mins. Absolute £#%&!ing nonsense it was.

Utter disbelief.
When you think back it was a nonsense tbf. Lets face it we had been awful on the night up until injury time.

I went from singing "We'll support you evermore" with tears in my eyes to suddenly being on the floor in a heap of bodies in the top tier after the equaliser went in. Before you know it Solskjaer scores and we've done the impossible. Madness.

"Oh what a night" indeed.

Unread 26-05-2017, 01:19 AM
Mr Kaboom

Didn't know who'd scored either goal till I got home the next morning and watched a replay.

Nothing can ever better scoring two injury time goals to win the European Cup and complete a treble never achieved before or since.

Unread 26-05-2017, 01:36 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Utter disbelief.
Against Bayern Munich, too. And that's not the modern, slightly poncey, fancy-dan, brilliant but mentally fragile Bayern Munich we've all come to know - it's old school, grinding, efficient, nerves of steel, West Germany mould Bayern. It's just not supposed to happen.

Although obviously going 2-0 down to that incredible Juve side away and winning wasn't supposed to happen either

Unread 26-05-2017, 01:59 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Against Bayern Munich, too. And that's not the modern, slightly poncey, fancy-dan, brilliant but mentally fragile Bayern Munich we've all come to know - it's old school, grinding, efficient, nerves of steel, West Germany mould Bayern. It's just not supposed to happen.

Although obviously going 2-0 down to that incredible Juve side away and winning wasn't supposed to happen either
Unbeaten in the whole competition. Whilst playing Barcelona twice, Inter twice, Juventus twice and Bayern Munich 3 times.

Unread 26-05-2017, 06:35 AM
puressence

No joke it was better to be there

Unread 26-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Red Al

Cant see that year ever being topped

Unread 26-05-2017, 06:57 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
No joke it was better to be there
Was and will be the pinnacle of my united watching career which is obviously great but also sad in a way.

Me and my mates could hardly speak to each other immediately afterwards - on the coach back to the airport all in an emotional daze. Post euphoric haze.

Got married 3 days later with a replica cup next to me and lots of best day of my life jokes. We laughed as we wished all the blues the best of luck in their playoff final against gillingham the next day :

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:37 AM
Mr_Ed

We didn't play very well though did we. Becks in the middle didn't work. Sticking him wide right changed everything as I recall. Them hitting the post and bar too..,

Unread 26-05-2017, 07:39 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
We didn't play very well though did we. Becks in the middle didn't work. Sticking him wide right changed everything as I recall. Them hitting the post and bar too..,
Yes, I've completely discounted it as being a real win.

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:23 AM
forzagarza

Why are people making threads about my password?

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:28 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Tbf we didn't have much choice did we with Scholes and Keane being suspended. Two first choice centre mids out of the final like that. Giggs having to play on the right aswell with Blomqvist on the left. Proper £#%&!ed us up.

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:30 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Yes, I've completely discounted it as being a real win.
MOE you silly old bugger, how did you hack bellers' log in?

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:32 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
MOE you silly old bugger, how did you hack bellers' log in?
Whoosh etc

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:35 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Whoosh etc
I don't really think it's him pretending to be you pal

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Was and will be the pinnacle of my united watching career which is obviously great but also sad in a way.

Me and my mates could hardly speak to each other immediately afterwards - on the coach back to the airport all in an emotional daze. Post euphoric haze.

Got married 3 days later with a replica cup next to me and lots of best day of my life jokes. We laughed as we wished all the blues the best of luck in their playoff final against gillingham the next day :

that whole season was just amazing. 18, without a care in the world, and watching united win all over europe

we're all very lucky to have lived through the 90s as united fans. what an incredible period for the club.

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Switching Off

Vividly certain that as the clock turned to 90 minutes I still thought we'd win it. Maybe not as we did, but I felt the equaliser was coming and then we'd do them in extra time.

Unbelievable finish.

Unread 26-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Bunker Buster

Any more tales of the match lads, love them...every year.

Great thread.
Closed Thread