United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:48 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Default Nick "Pisshead" Powell for Juan Mata

Philosophers, what was the deal with that substitution?

Why not Perreira? but Nick Powell who hasn't kicked a ball in the first team since Januzaj played wing back against MK Dons?

Weird, and if you believe RedNews has caused a bit of a problem in the dressing room.

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Neo

Difficult to explain in a post, but PM postcode and I'll break it down for you in person.

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:53 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Difficult to explain in a post, but PM postcode and I'll break it down for you in person.
I'm sure a well educated fella like yourself can put it into words.

Why Powell and not Perreira?

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Jethro

I think the answer is, 'why not?'

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:55 PM
hopkins

Let me help you forge that narrative

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:55 PM
silv

He poses a threat in the air and has a wonder strike

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Jack Duckworth

i heard mata was straight on the blower to barney after the final whistle to let him know.

#staysonhere

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:58 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Philosophers, what was the deal with that substitution?

Why not Perreira? but Nick Powell who hasn't kicked a ball in the first team since Januzaj played wing back against MK Dons?

Weird, and if you believe RedNews has caused a bit of a problem in the dressing room.
Don't agree with the sub. Also thought he should have started Carrick alongside Schweinsteiger

But Van Gaal is a stickler for fitness and once he thinks a player is fading in the game, he makes a chance regardless of seniority or how the sub might look on paper. That's the only reason I can think of.

As for why Powell, maybe he just doesn't rate Perreira and/or wanted some height and physicality in the side for set pieces. And ultimately there were two goals from corners late on

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Switching Off

Mata struggled to pass to a teammate last night, or to stay onside. Love the fella, but he's got no grounds for complaining about being subbed.

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:02 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Mata struggled to pass to a teammate last night, or to stay onside. Love the fella, but he's got no grounds for complaining about being subbed.
Odd post he played very well indeed

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:05 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Was good in the first half particularly.

I would always leave a player like Mata on in a game like that, he can conjure something up out of nothing.

Should have been pushed further forward with two holding CMs behind him to prevent the counter

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:06 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins

https://twitter.com/barneyrednews/st...58084455485440
Hope he asks to leave

Quote:
He poses a threat in the air and has a wonder strike
Also a huge boost for the lad after a pretty £#%&!ing miserable 18 months, he must have been doing something right in training etc. it was him in the mix forcing the OG, so pretty astute sub tbf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Correct. Started well, faded and was bullied out of it, in both halves. Passing the ball straight out of play twice in 5 minutes probably did for him.

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Vedder

Thought Corsa look bright tbh. Nearly set Smalling up for a tap in

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Meh, I saw two passes into touch and one offside where he was too slow to get onside. That's more than I need to get the out.

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:17 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins

https://twitter.com/barneyrednews/st...58084455485440
£#%&! me how would they know?

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
I'm sure a well educated fella like yourself can put it into words.

Why Powell and not Perreira?
It's a good question, and I will enlighten you to your heart's content when we meet.

Come to this spot tonight at 1am:

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Was a very odd sub. Not because Pereira should have come on, but what does it do to Mata's confidence to get hooked for £#%&!ing Nick Powell in a crucial match?

I suspect height at set pieces might have been a factor, but overall a weird change.

Btw, when you seem more keen on talking about/goading other United fans than anything else, it does make it seem that you're far more interested in being proven right than actually supporting the team. Just saying.

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:23 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
£#%&! me how would they know?
Because he's spoken directly to someone who was in that dressing room.

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i heard mata was straight on the blower to barney after the final whistle to let him know.

#staysonhere
#sage

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:30 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
ok carlo, I will take that you from you. I thought it was like the one that was doing the rounds at the airport coming back that Fergie and Bobby Charlton snubbed LVG's handshake before the game.

Another belter was that LVG appears to be half cut
Closed Thread