United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-12-2015, 12:35 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not shit. Old. Not pretending either.
Oh it's too old now is it? Only i thought you said he wasn't coming/was only coming for a pay day/he was always injured/he's rubbish?

Too old to captain the world champions? Someone needs to have a word with Low.

Unread 09-12-2015, 12:55 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
Schweinsteiger would have been fine if he was playing in a real 3 man midfield, unfortunately van Gaal likes to have a second striker in there, which exposes his lack of mobility. Both Shweinsteiger and Carrick are looking well over the hill in this formation, and when they start together it's a £#%&!ing mess.
this. obviously.

shweini has been magnificent; van gaal is an arse.

in a balanced team, schweini has legs.

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Oh it's too old now is it? Only i thought you said he wasn't coming/was only coming for a pay day/he was always injured/he's rubbish?

Too old to captain the world champions? Someone needs to have a word with Low.
Have you actually watched him play? Genuine question.. He's always blowing out of his arse after an hour, finds himself hooked around the 70 minute mark most games, can't play twice a week and is bypassed with considerable ease by any player with any degree of vitality he comes up against. He's decent on the ball, and will be useful to us when we have more dynamic players around him, but at the moment is struggling. Was dogshit last night, the sight of him creaking as Draxler made a mug of him prior to their second goal was sad, and was awful against West Ham at weekend too.

Not at all shocked Munich let him go for such a low fee having watched him so far this season. No shame in it, he's been a great player, and will probably have a good time with us overall, but he is struggling.

Rooney is Captain of England btw.. It's not unheard of that players stay in their national sides past their best. He's surrounded by infinitely better players for them too tbf.

Unread 09-12-2015, 01:58 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Have you actually watched him play? Genuine question.. He's always blowing out of his arse after an hour, finds himself hooked around the 70 minute mark most games, can't play twice a week and is bypassed with considerable ease by any player with any degree of vitality he comes up against. He's decent on the ball, and will be useful to us when we have more dynamic players around him, but at the moment is struggling. Was dogshit last night, the sight of him creaking as Draxler made a mug of him prior to their second goal was sad, and was awful against West Ham at weekend too.

Not at all shocked Munich let him go for such a low fee having watched him so far this season. No shame in it, he's been a great player, and will probably have a good time with us overall, but he is struggling.

Rooney is Captain of England btw.. It's not unheard of that players stay in their national sides past their best. He's surrounded by infinitely better players for them too tbf.
Did you just compare the England team to the Germany team?

Basti has been United's best midfielder this season by an absolute mile. You can delude yourself otherwise all you want of course, but it is amusing to see you try and repeatedly justify yourself through your own misguided preconceptions.

Unread 09-12-2015, 02:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Did you just compare the England team to the Germany team?

Basti has been United's best midfielder this season by an absolute mile. You can delude yourself otherwise all you want of course, but it is amusing to see you try and repeatedly justify yourself through your own misguided preconceptions.
Not sure that's quite the compliment you think it is

I don't have to delude myself about anything, he's been underwhelming and substituted, a lot

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:06 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Not sure that's quite the compliment you think it is

I don't have to delude myself about anything, he's been underwhelming and substituted, a lot
He's been substituted when playing well tbf. Not his fault the manager likes his creative substitutions.

I think he has been playing well, mostly.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:12 PM
jem

van gaal's substitutions are generally ridiculous.

and, if schweini were used properly, he wouldn't need subbing. if he ever does. expecting him to track draxler is just stupid. you may note that our quick young defenders couldn't do it either. although varela got some challenges in during h2. we do not have a solid midfield. don't blame schweini, who brings poise, confidence, strength, tricks, passing, dribbling and... er... wild shooting.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Schweini still a top signing, for me.

Has played well at times, popped up for crucial goals, and a great leader. But he's being overplayed, which is something I can't get my head around. A team short on leaders does need him every game, but this is a guy who surely has to be managed more carefully now.

Looked tired last night imo. He's only 31 and has had games where his conditioning has looked fine. But surely he needs more rest time.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:33 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Has played well at times, popped up for crucial goals, and a great leader. But he's being overplayed, which is something I can't get my head around. A team short on leaders does need him every game, but this is a guy who surely has to be managed more carefully now.

Looked tired last night imo. He's only 31 and has had games where his conditioning has looked fine. But surely he needs more rest time.
he's not being overplayed so much in the sense that he plays every game, but rather that he is expected to cover so much ground in each game. 31 is nothing.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:34 PM
itisme_panaflex

i don't get the schweini complaints. yeah last night. but generally he's been good. Maybe some people expected something unrealistic.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:37 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex
i don't get the schweini complaints. yeah last night. but generally he's been good. Maybe some people expected something unrealistic.
He was in midfield with Fellaini though so basically on his own last night.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:41 PM
dunk

Quote:

Not really had much choice but to play him tbf.

He needs legs around him. But then so does Blind, so does Carrick, so does Mata, so does Rooney etc. I'm not sure you can have so many players reliant on the attributes of others. We need more youth and dynamism to go with the experience..

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
smalling was £#%&!ed wont see him till January I reckon hopefully im wrong ..
It's a groin injury apparently, so i think you can read into that that we won't be seeing him until January. You're quite right.

Making him stay on and play that last 15 mins will have only made it worse, too.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Not really had much choice but to play him tbf.

He needs legs around him. But then so does Blind, so does Carrick, so does Mata, so does Rooney etc. I'm not sure you can have so many players reliant on the attributes of others. We need more youth and dynamism to go with the experience..
There have been several occasions he didn't have to start him. Saturday against West Ham being one.

I think he's in decent shape, tbh. But play him twice a week and you're asking for J-Drax to mug him with ease.

Unread 09-12-2015, 03:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
There have been several occasions he didn't have to start him. Saturday against West Ham being one.

I think he's in decent shape, tbh. But play him twice a week and you're asking for J-Drax to mug him with ease.
Who does he start instead on Saturday? Carrick was left to rest (not convinced he's 100% btw) and he was after 20 minutes or whatever it was midfield seems to be the one area we have no youthful prospects...

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I honestly think if you have too many of Blind, Carrick, Schweini, Mata and Rooney in the side at once, you're in trouble. Which isn't how it should be, really. If you add Young and Felli to that mix

Unread 09-12-2015, 04:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Who does he start instead on Saturday? Carrick was left to rest (not convinced he's 100% btw) and he was after 20 minutes or whatever it was midfield seems to be the one area we have no youthful prospects...

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I honestly think if you have too many of Blind, Carrick, Schweini, Mata and Rooney in the side at once, you're in trouble. Which isn't how it should be, really. If you add Young and Felli to that mix
Schneiderlin started Saturday didn't he? Could have gone with him and Fellaini or Blind. Or big Nico Powell

Unread 09-12-2015, 04:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Schneiderlin started Saturday didn't he? Could have gone with him and Fellaini or Blind. Or big Nico Powell
Blind was at CB, Schneido limped off after about 20 minutes, Big Felli was in the 10 role.. Not sure what the score is with big Nico z

Unread 09-12-2015, 04:44 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
He'd have got the same abuse Basti's currently getting from the outers, had this forum been around then.

Shudder to think what they'd have said about Larsson.
Wasn't here long enough for most of them to notice, tbf.

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:27 PM
92ToBury

Two weeks Turkish
Closed Thread