Ole IN - let's get on with the rebuild. 92 81.42%
Ole OUT - I've wet my shorts and want Big Sam. 21 18.58%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

I’d get rid if Poch became available because I think Poch is the better manager. The mess isn’t his fault, but the results are worse than what they should be because we’ve got the players capable of beating Newcastle. He needs to win games and the team performances need to get better, That’s something we can judge him on and it’s not been good enough.

Poch won’t become available until the summer though imo, so plenty of time for Ole to turn things around and shove my opinion down my throat and It’s why I voted to keep Ole for now.
And Leicester have the players to beat us. So do Chelsea.

It's not that we CAN'T beat Newcastle. We just didn't. Can City not beat Wolves and Norwich.

Fact is, we're a team of fine margins at the moment. We're not conceding many, not scoring many. It's coming down to 25 yarders and set pieces.

You and I had a discussion after the Arsenal game where I suggested we haven't played much different in any games this season, we've just either got through and made the best of it, or we've lost the key moments.

Yesterday was no different. And with each new setback, the brittle confidence gets chipped further away.

We need a win, we need some players back.

I envisage a spirited narrow loss against the Dippers (we may even snatch a draw. Football being a funny old game and all that. Liverpool will be expected to win at Old Trafford. That isn't easy to carry)

From there, if we can string some kind of shitty run together, we can start to look up again.

I still want to see how this unfolds. I never even wanted to see how Mourinho's plan unfold. I only ever envisaged us being a more functioning version of a borefest. I actually want to see Ole's United if he can do it.

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:05 PM
MagnificentSeven

i thought that it couldn't get worse than finishing 7th under moyes. never once that season, as awful as it was, did the idea of relegation ever enter my mind. i don't think it will happen, but it's still a genuine possibility, and that's scary.

manchester united - relegation candidates

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Clownbones

We're not getting relegated ffs.

Akkers, it's not as simple as flicking a switch like that. You cant just manufacture confidence out of thin air.

Come on, we've all been watching football long enough to know that.

We have to keep working hard (I dont think that's changed. We're still trying, we're just shit). I don't think he's lost the dressing room. We're a bit away from that.

As for the Liverpool game, it should be an easy game for them on paper, but it rarely works like that. They arent smashing teams away. They haven't won at our's since they won 3-0 under Moyes and all the expectation is on them to come and win easily.

I think we'll be up for it. Similar to the City game last year. Score early and we can get something from it. Liverpool will be looking to just get 3 points and get out of there.

The glimmers of hope dont come in the darkest moments, Akkers. Have there been glimmers of hope through his whole tenure? As recently as 8 league games ago? Yes.

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:25 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Who says it’s him that’s not doing a great job? Have the issues at Tottenham not demonstrated how dressing room dynamics trump everything else when it comes to performances and results? United’s problems are mostly a player and dressing room dynamics issue along with the board not doing enough with ins and outs. This squad just can’t handle expectation, which is one reason they collapsed last season as soon as there was some.

If the club had bought the two midfielders and some kind of striker, which is what ole is supposed to have wanted, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. It’s ridiculous that the club only buys the manager half the players they should have, yet it’s the manager getting the blame. It also shows how bad the dressing room issues are that he’d rather still get rid of various players rather than keep them because the club didn’t get replacements.

Until he’s had a fair chance to get the dressing room right via enough windows, we’ll have no idea whether ole is doing a good job or not, because it won’t be until then that things can change on the pitch. So far, he’s done well on the player front and that’s why he deserves more time as good sales and recruitment is the only way our issues get fixed. Ole just can’t have a quick 20 player turnover like guardiola could.
Ok, well there’s a fair amount of speculation in there, but let’s say that’s all 100% true - even with only the players he had last year plus the additions in the Summer, we should still be performing better than we are right now. This is some of the worst football I’ve ever seen from a United team. We can blame them, and I do, but whatever he’s asking them to do they’re just not doing it.

For any manager to survive they have to marry something - anything - for the support to be optimistic about now as well as the future. We can theorize about time needed until we’re blue in the face, but when it comes to these performances week in and week out we both know that has a limited shelf life. No one is going to survive that these days, this is not ‘88.

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Whiteside onside

A heavy defeat against the scouse bastards and he will be gone I think.

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:32 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
I don’t think so. Without doubt Woodward’s head would be on the chopping block’s right behind him.

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Ok, well there’s a fair amount of speculation in there, but let’s say that’s all 100% true - even with only the players he had last year plus the additions in the Summer, we should still be performing better than we are right now. This is some of the worst football I’ve ever seen from a United team. We can blame them, and I do, but whatever he’s asking them to do they’re just not doing it.

For any manager to survive they have to marry something - anything - for the support to be optimistic about now as well as the future. We can theorize about time needed until we’re blue in the face, but when it comes to these performances week in and week out we both know that has a limited shelf life. No one is going to survive that these days, this is not ‘88.
We're also in bad form.

That surely has to be acknowledged.

We should be playing better than this and getting better results and even in his short time, we've shown more than this.

It's too simple to take the lowest ebb as a evidence that its always how it is and will be.

There's also mitigation in there. We have two major attacking players out. We have our main striker woefully out of form and the team's collective confidence is very low. That is affecting how we are approaching key moments in games.

All that can change.

This isnt us as we're meant to be.

If we had everyone fit, it was all Ole's players and we were a couple of years in, it would be different.

Like it was in Mourinho's last few days.

This is a low point. We knew they would come. We simply have to take them.

Any new manager would have these kinds of lows too.

Because they all did before Ole.

We have to do things differently this time.

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:44 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
We're also in bad form.

That surely has to be acknowledged.

We should be playing better than this and getting better results and even in his short time, we've shown more than this.

It's too simple to take the lowest ebb as a evidence that its always how it is and will be.

There's also mitigation in there. We have two major attacking players out. We have our main striker woefully out of form and the team's collective confidence is very low. That is affecting how we are approaching key moments in games.

All that can change.

This isnt us as we're meant to be.

If we had everyone fit, it was all Ole's players and we were a couple of years in, it would be different.

Like it was in Mourinho's last few days.

This is a low point. We knew they would come. We simply have to take them.

Any new manager would have these kinds of lows too.

Because they all did before Ole.

We have to do things differently this time.
Things must be bad if you’ve resorted to one sentence paragraphs mate.

Or was it supposed to be read as a poem?

Unread 07-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Things must be bad if you’ve resorted to one sentence paragraphs mate.
Don't wanna miss his sacking mate.

Unread 07-10-2019, 10:19 PM
jem

anyone who thinks a two-man midfield with pogba as one of the two is a good idea is probably the kind of £#%&!wit who would bring chong on to save a game.

Unread 07-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
anyone who thinks a two-man midfield with pogba as one of the two is a good idea is probably the kind of £#%&!wit who would bring chong on to save a game.
Absolutely nobody:

Jem: "THE MIDFIELD.... "

Unread 07-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Absolutely nobody:

Jem: "THE MIDFIELD.... "
He wanted Valencia and the twins in there against Barca '11

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:03 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Spot on.
Chong is poor

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Ole needs to show something on the pitch. Mental to commit to a full rebuild with him because we like the fact he sold Fellaini. When you have no real history of success in management, surely you have to be demonstrating something in the present to warrant such faith? Otherwise we're essentially giving him time and money just because he played for us. Are we that lacking in ideas and hope now?

I reckon he'll stay this season but right now it's hard to see him here beginning of next.

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:05 PM
dunk

This is going to be a looooooonnnnngggggg international break.

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:16 PM
Buck

Didn't see the game as I had to make the trip to see my uncle. The effects of Alzheimer's is horrible to see develop over time. More horrible than watching Gary Neville talk about how we would be better with Fellaini

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:20 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
He wanted Valencia and the twins in there against Barca '11
did I?

did we win?

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:58 PM
utd99

Quote:
Can we quit with this nonsense? It’s been said about every manager since fergie. The worst football was van gaal. This isn’t even close.
Alkmaar, Rochdale and Newcastle was every bit as poor as anything van Gaal served up. It was atrocious.

Unread 07-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Alkmaar, Rochdale and Newcastle was every bit as poor as anything van Gaal served up. It was atrocious.
Obviously I disagree. People forget. The latest is always the worst.

2 of those were reserve teams btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
And it’s this reactionary short term thinking that has us where we are. Surely the board can’t sack a manager 10% into his plan when they’re the reason the weaknesses going into this season exist.

Unread 08-10-2019, 12:09 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
And he’s used that money well, so he has demonstrated something in the present. Both purchases and sales. Our best players have been those he’s signed. That’s demonstrating something in the present to earn enough faith that he knows the issues and how to fix them, and based on those decisions he’s entitled to follow through and get more of his own signings.
We don't know if he's spent the money well yet tbf. We'll see over the course of the season.

Not sure if watching Maguire's defending for the Aubameyang and Longstaff goals has me thinking it's £80m well spent just yet.

But if he does prove to have a good eye for a player, it's a decent argument for keeping him in spite of poor results should an obvious appointment not emerge. Wonder just how low he can afford to finish in the table though, as right now it looks 8th at best.
Closed Thread