United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-11-2017, 12:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Stats
Standard response when the stats go against you.

Pretty sure the Matic thread got quite stat happy at the start of the season to big him up.

They're not so kind today. Deal with it, mate.

Unread 06-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Clarkie

Think it's unfair to call Matic out. In my eyes, he looked like someone who was trying to make something happen at least.

Each to their own though

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Standard response when the stats go against you.

Pretty sure the Matic thread got quite stat happy at the start of the season to big him up.

They're not so kind today. Deal with it, mate.
Not really

I don't agree with your assessment that Matic is erratic and just in the side to bully

The stats you've mentioned haven't changed my mind.

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Not really

I don't agree with your assessment that Matic is erratic and just in the side to bully

The stats you've mentioned haven't changed my mind.
Fair play. Can only admire that.

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Cream

Quote:
Fair play. Can only admire that.

Matic was below average against Chelsea.

Was he crap against Spurs and Liverpool? I forget. You seem to be saying he was so I'll assume that's the case...

#Pogback could change everything.

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Clarkie

Disappointed Siders hasn't called him Mehtic.

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Don't make me reach for stats on a Monday morning.

this guy

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex

this guy

Great to have Siders describing the water while we drown.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Lok

We easily have a good enough team. We just pick the wrong personnel or play the wrong system.

DDG

Valencia---Bailly---Jones---Young

Matic---Pogba

Martial---Mata---Rashford

Lukaku

Left back is the obvious weakness but the rest is easily good enough for a starting XI. Lingard, Afro, Herrera etc... are good enough for squad players.

The problem we have is how long it takes to build an attack. Everything is pathetically slow and teams are ready for us. We did exactly the same under LvG. Miki was supposed to help with that but he's been farcically bad, especially in the big games.

Lukaku's strength is receiving the ball with his back against the last man. He turns him and is through. It's devastating and nearly unstoppable due to his strength and finishing ability. We never even try that play. Numerous times he gets himself into that position but doesn't receive the service.

We have the players to do so much better than we're doing. But if we continue to park the bus and take an eternity to transition into attack, we'll continue as we are.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:12 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We easily have a good enough team. We just pick the wrong personnel or play the wrong system.

DDG

Valencia---Bailly---Jones---Young

Matic---Pogba

Martial---Mata---Rashford

Lukaku

Left back is the obvious weakness but the rest is easily good enough for a starting XI. Lingard, Afro, Herrera etc... are good enough for squad players.

The problem we have is how long it takes to build an attack. Everything is pathetically slow and teams are ready for us. We did exactly the same under LvG. Miki was supposed to help with that but he's been farcically bad, especially in the big games.

Lukaku's strength is receiving the ball with his back against the last man. He turns him and is through. It's devastating and nearly unstoppable due to his strength and finishing ability. We never even try that play. Numerous times he gets himself into that position but doesn't receive the service.

We have the players to do so much better than we're doing. But if we continue to park the bus and take an eternity to transition into attack, we'll continue as we are.
Both fullbacks are old wingers, one of the centre backs is a calamitous buffoon, the number 10 is paceless and neither Martial or Rashford have had a good game on the right.

We need two fullbacks, a centre back, a 10 and a right winger to be anywhere near City. Probably another midfielder too

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Both fullbacks are old wingers, one of the centre backs is a calamitous buffoon, the number 10 is paceless and neither Martial or Rashford have had a good game on the right.

We need two fullbacks, a centre back, a 10 and a right winger to be anywhere near City. Probably another midfielder too
There's nothing wrong with Valencia. Long term we obviously need to upgrade on Jones because he is so injury prone.

The number 10 having no pace isn't a concern as long as he's finding the front 3.

We urgently need a left back, there's no hiding from that. A right winger would also be good but given enough time either Martial or Rashford could easily make that position their own.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Think it's unfair to call Matic out. In my eyes, he looked like someone who was trying to make something happen at least.

Each to their own though
One of the problems with Matic is his lack of mobility when chasing a game. Strong defensively when the game is under control but when Utd have to push the game and commit numbers he can look vulnerable.

Matic has been very good for Utd for the most part but like Lukaku he has certain limitations which restrict the potential of the team.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Lok

I don't think Matic's mobility is a big issue. He rarely seems to get caught out of position.

The biggest issue he's had is that in Pogba's absence he needs to make things happen and he doesn't possess the ability to do that. His short range passing is fine and he can spot a quick through ball but rarely seems to have the ability to achieve it.

One thing that has impressed me is his ability to carry the ball forward. He can easily turn a defender or skip passed someone and I didn't think he had that in his locker.

Alongside more creative players he's fine.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Coracao

Matic's problem is that beside him and Pogba, our midfield options are laughable. He has probably been our best player this season.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I don't think Matic's mobility is a big issue. He rarely seems to get caught out of position.

The biggest issue he's had is that in Pogba's absence he needs to make things happen and he doesn't possess the ability to do that. His short range passing is fine and he can spot a quick through ball but rarely seems to have the ability to achieve it.

One thing that has impressed me is his ability to carry the ball forward. He can easily turn a defender or skip passed someone and I didn't think he had that in his locker.

Alongside more creative players he's fine.
He was very slow getting across back into position ahead of their goal, which didn't help deal with the Bakayoko run into the box.

It's one of the reasons I do find him unpredictable; he does have a tendency to follow the ball and be drawn out. He and Herrera within five yards of each other pressing the ball on the right; as soon as it's switched there was a big gap; Jones steps into it and before you know it there's acres in the box. It was a horrific team goal; awful organisation.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:44 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
There's nothing wrong with Valencia.
He's 32 now and will need replacing soon, the choices to cover him have absolutely no attacking threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The number 10 having no pace isn't a concern as long as he's finding the front 3.
Look at the carnage that hazard, alli and whoever city play there cause when making driving runs and messing up the defensive lines, it's exactly what we're missing when teams sit back in formation against us

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Look at the carnage that hazard, alli and whoever city play there cause when making driving runs and messing up the defensive lines, it's exactly what we're missing when teams sit back in formation against us

It is the link they have with the striker that helps. Hazard loves playing 1/2's, give and goes. Can you imagine him trying that with Lukaku?

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Lok

Quote:
He's 32 now and will need replacing soon, the choices to cover him have absolutely no attacking threat

Valencia still has at least 2 years left in him. We do need cover though.

Doesn't Silva play there for City? He's hardly blessed with pace. Mata in the number 10 is fine. Look at his goals/assists totals, they're as good if not better than any of the players you've named.

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:53 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Valencia still has at least 2 years left in him. We do need cover though.

Doesn't Silva play there for City? He's hardly blessed with pace. Mata in the number 10 is fine. Look at his goals/assists totals, they're as good if not better than any of the players you've named.
De Bruyne and Sterling have been playing there when i've watched them

Silva is like Usain Bolt when compared to Mata anyway

RE: the stats, Mata's got 1 goal and 0 assists so far this season and a massive 3 assists from 25 games last season

Unread 06-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
There's nothing wrong with Valencia. .
He was an average winger and now he’s a slightly less average right back.

He offers nothing going forward, couldn’t cross his legs let alone a ball and somehow just being a ‘steady eddie’ is good enough?

He’s 32 years old so let’s not wait until he’s abysmal before replacing him.
Closed Thread