United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:04 PM
El Calafate

Exclamation Ronaldo happy to take King Eric's crown

sorry, if already posted!

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/N...na-comparison/

After attracting comparisons with Eric Cantona, Cristiano Ronaldo has stated it is an honour to even be placed in the same bracket as the Manchester United legend.

Ronaldo’s celebration after striking a superb late free-kick against Sporting on Tuesday brought to mind the swaggering arrogance of Cantona at his best as Sir Alex Ferguson’s new attacking talisman brought Old Trafford to its feet.

In much the same way that United’s fans idolised Cantona despite some controversial moments, Old Trafford has also been a pillar of strength for Ronaldo despite him being made public enemy number one after England’s 2006 World Cup exit.

The reigning Footballer of the Year has now claimed nine goals in his last eight games and admits he is revelling in the comparison with the legendary Frenchman.

“It’s great to be compared with a player of Cantona’s reputation because he was so important for United,” said Ronaldo.

“Cantona was a great player, a fantastic player. I’ve seen tapes of him playing for United in the past and I enjoy watching him a lot because he was such a fantastic footballer.

"He’s a great guy and I enjoyed meeting him. I know what he meant to United and what he helped achieve in his time at the club.

“I’m a big fan of Cantona, not just because of what he achieved as a player, but because of the person he is.

“He always speaks well about the United team and the players. It is an honour to be talked about alongside him.

“But every player is different. Cantona had a different style to me, I have a different style to him. But it’s great to be compared with him. Things like that give me extra motivation to work hard and become a better player.”

nft.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

According to this he's SAFs favourite player, ever. And Saha needs more games.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...928508,00.html

Hype hype and more £#%&!ing hype.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:09 PM
legendary saf

legendary saf , who are we to disagree with him.

Also agree with his points about Saha, Rooney's back aswell now so we can take it easy. Louis is worth waiting for, he was almost unplayable at peak fitness for the first half of last season.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:09 PM
1MUFC

Ronaldo will never be cantona

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:11 PM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
he won't be Ralph Milne either. nft.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:12 PM
legendary saf

Quote:
On a more serious note, he's only 22, i dont think such comparisons should be made right now. He has 5 goals in the Cl already this season, i have a feeling he will lead us to Moscow this year and write himself in our history books for real.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:42 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
i have a feeling he will lead us to Moscow this year and write himself in our history books for real.
Do you ever 'have a feeling' about Manchester United that doesn't involve Ronaldo?

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:46 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
On a more serious note, he's only 22, i dont think such comparisons should be made right now. He has 5 goals in the Cl already this season, i have a feeling he will lead us to Moscow this year and write himself in our history books for real.
It doesnt matter whether ronaldo wins 3 trebles 4 doubles and has 12 chufty badges, he will never be cantona, cantona was a one off, not only a very special player his relationship with the fans was something ronaldo will only ever be able to dream of.

Ronaldo is a very very good player, he isnt cantona though and people who think he is are either 16 years old or taking the piss.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:49 PM
sharath

Quote:
cos he is better....

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
cos he is better....

Patrick Evra is better than both

1MUFC

Quote:
cos he is better....
Dont be stupid.

sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy

Patrick Evra is better than both
one extreme point - he can never match cantona

to another - he is better...

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:56 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
cos he is better....
£#%&! off you glory hunting muppet.

i bet you dream about united signing every wonder kid on earth and lovely youtube videos compiling all of them doing tricks...

have you ever been into a football stadium?

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:01 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Cantona is a god. For many reasons. One being that he'd kung £#%&!ick knuckle dragging @#%&!s like 1MUFC in the face.

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
He will never be Cantona. Comparisons like that should never be made.

Cantona had cemented himself as a legend in one season - and alot of it doesn't even have anything to do with what goes on on the pitch.

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:12 PM
believe

For what Cantona achieved in making the club it is today for sure that will never be surpassed or comparible. However, what Ronaldo could achieve for the team in terms of trophies and overall European greatness well that is there for the taking and Ronaldo is capable of that.

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
What's wrong with mixed race?
best type of poster imo.

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:21 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
my face is

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:27 PM
sharath

finally we know what a @#%&! 1MUFC is....

and I have not been to any football stadium... I have been to a few soccer stadiums though

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:31 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
finally we know what a @#%&! 1MUFC is....

and I have not been to any football stadium... I have been to a few soccer stadiums though
soccer?

out of curiosity- which ones are these...
Closed Thread