United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 26-04-2013, 01:56 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
I went to that with one of your brothers I think, possibly both of them.
Really? We were discussing our favourite United games a few weeks ago and it didn't come up. I was with biggest brother behind the goal at Selhurst Park for Beckhams half way line shenanigins.

Unread 26-04-2013, 01:59 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Really? We were discussing our favourite United games a few weeks ago and it didn't come up. I was with biggest brother behind the goal at Selhurst Park for Beckhams half way line shenanigins.
Shit maybe he wasn't there although I'm sure he was. I don't £#%&!ing know, it was twenty two years ago ffs

Unread 26-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
They were big games nqat. Considering our trophy haul was one FA cup in the previous six years and we'd never won the league cup it's not much of a surprise.
There were some great game in that run too, the aforementioned 6-2 and the 3-1 against Liverpool, brilliant goal from Hughes. Granada soccer night, hmmm? isn't it? you know...
Shame we ballsed up the final.
That really pissed me off at the time. Arsenal had lost one game in about a year or something, United rocked up there and gave them an almighty £#%&!ing. Then Liverpool, league champions, come to OT and get dicked. Should have been more than 3-1 and David Burrows should have been sent off. Leeds, a decent team who won the league a year later were dispatched. So we meet a 2nd division side in the final and don't turn up. I was absolutely gutted, £#%&!ing horrible travelling back from Wembley after losing a cup final. :shakehead:

Unread 26-04-2013, 02:09 PM
chooch

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
That really pissed me off at the time. Arsenal had lost one game in about a year or something, United rocked up there and gave them an almighty £#%&!ing. Then Liverpool, league champions, come to OT and get dicked. Should have been more than 3-1 and David Burrows should have been sent off. Leeds, a decent team who won the league a year later were dispatched. So we meet a 2nd division side in the final and don't turn up. I was absolutely gutted, £#%&!ing horrible travelling back from Wembley after losing a cup final. :shakehead:
Was at university in Liverpool that year so got grief of the scousers after that. Was even worse the following year when leeds won the league. Finished in 93 however and got the last laugh when we won the title. Told all the scouse that it would be at least 26 years before they got thier paws on the league again.

Unread 26-04-2013, 04:56 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Some of us half expected Wednesday would win, what with the BFR thing and all

Was hilarious when he walked out on them just days later, mind

Unread 26-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Yes they did.
no they never.

Unread 26-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Remember all the reasons, just as naive seventeen year old was shocked when I walked in to see the crowd. Seem to remember they had a block of about 2000 in the middle of K stand with no one in the scoreboard paddock under them.

We got a shit allocation for there place too, about 1100 if my mind isn't playing tricks on me.

Anyway it was big game at the time.
it was a brilliant cup run to be sure, but apart from getting mugged off by courtney in 83 United had never made the final until that season in 2 decades of [not] trying. the fact we were a cup team puts than in perspective I'd say

Unread 26-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Well clearly Fergie did putting his best side out.
You don't have to disagree with every single post I make you tedious £#%&!ing @#%&!.
stop posting shit then

xx

Unread 26-04-2013, 05:34 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
no they never.
It was 1994 before we rested players for league cup games and it then took on lesser significance. In 1991, if anything was viewed as 'minor' it was the Simod Cup which of course, we didn't bother to enter.

In the late 80's were were still sending a full squad to play in 6 a sides at the G Mex.

HTFHYC.

Unread 26-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
It was 1994 before we rested players for league cup games and it then took on lesser significance. In 1991, if anything was viewed as 'minor' it was the Simod Cup which of course, we didn't bother to enter.

In the late 80's were were still sending a full squad to play in 6 a sides at the G Mex.

HTFHYC.
not really, just makes me wonder who you're trying to kid and why really?

Unread 26-04-2013, 05:54 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
not really, just makes me wonder who you're trying to kid and why really?
Not trying to kid anyone. You've been shown up on this thread for claiming no one gave a £#%&! about the league cup in 1991...which is completely incorrect as MJ, Stoney, Zorg, Withers and myself have all explained.

You're a contrary idiot.

Good day to you.

Unread 26-04-2013, 06:06 PM
WarwickRoad

Quote:
Not trying to kid anyone. You've been shown up on this thread for claiming no one gave a £#%&! about the league cup in 1991...which is completely incorrect as MJ, Stoney, Zorg, Withers and myself have all explained.

You're a contrary idiot.

Good day to you.
I gave a £#%&!, too. Throb is simply being contrary for the sake of it.

Unread 26-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

You're a contrary idiot.

Good day to you.
okay fair enough, I shouldn't have said no-one

Oldham, Wolves, Forest, Oxford etc - they £#%&!ing loved the League Cup

Unread 26-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

as late as 92/93 there were only 25k turning up for the early rounds

Unread 26-04-2013, 07:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
as late as 92/93 there were only 25k turning up for the early rounds
Wasn't that when there was major building work going on at OT?

Unread 26-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Wasn't that when there was major building work going on at OT?
don't you know?

the key word was "still" - they were still getting 25k for the early rounds of the league cup as late as 92/93. do you see?

Unread 26-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
can't remember if it was that same season (didn't they play each other 3 times in a week the following season???)

ian st john gave inexplicably gave chris whyte the man of the match for one of the games at OT.

Is Ian St John still alive???? hope not.
No he isn't alive, he's a regular guest on LFCTV.

Unread 26-04-2013, 07:27 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
don't you know?

the key word was "still" - they were still getting 25k for the early rounds of the league cup as late as 92/93. do you see?
Well I do know, yes. So was the work finished by the time those "early rounds" were played?

Unread 26-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well I do know, yes. So was the work finished by the time those "early rounds" were played?
which year? I can knock 92/93 off if you want.

United were still getting about 25k turnouts for the early rounds of the League Cup up until 1991/92

How's that?

Unread 26-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
can't remember if it was that same season (didn't they play each other 3 times in a week the following season???)

ian st john gave inexplicably gave chris whyte the man of the match for one of the games at OT.

Is Ian St John still alive???? hope not.
Yep played in the league cup, FA cup and league...