United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-01-2011, 07:20 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Default Re: Keane's dressing room alienation has stifled his managerial career

the team is looking a bit top heavy isn't it. suppose the mavericks tend to be forwards.

can't think of any nutters at full-back?
dennis irwin.

Unread 13-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
the team is looking a bit top heavy isn't it. suppose the mavericks tend to be forwards.

can't think of any nutters at full-back?
dennis irwin.
Siniša Mihajlović. Top loon.

Unread 13-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Zorg

Pat van den Hauwe was always a bit of a psycho.

Unread 13-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Coracao

Gentile.

not sure what he was like off the pitch though.

Unread 13-01-2011, 09:00 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Keane's dressing room alienation has stifled his managerial career

Love Keane, magnificent player for us and obviously a bit of a nutter. A footballing God

Unread 13-01-2011, 09:03 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Keane's dressing room alienation has stifled his managerial career

Zvonimir Boban in midfield for the nutcase XI. The man helped kick off a civil war ffs

Unread 13-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Mr_Ed

Is it any coincidence that Ipswich's form went downhill once Triggs kicked the bucket? Maybe a 10 mile pound each day got rid of Royston's nasty side.

Now it's serial £#%&!ger Jewell...

Unread 13-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Love Keane, magnificent player for us and obviously a bit of a nutter. A footballing God

Agreed, still £#%&!ing love Keano. Legend.

The more people hate him the more I love him

Unread 14-01-2011, 07:07 PM
taff

keane needs to get out of football tbh, he obviously hates it and it can't be doing him any good

Unread 14-01-2011, 07:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
keane needs to get out of football tbh, he obviously hates it and it can't be doing him any good
But what would he do instead??

I do feel a bit concerned about him, tbh.

Unread 14-01-2011, 08:16 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Is it any coincidence that Ipswich's form went downhill once Triggs kicked the bucket? Maybe a 10 mile pound each day got rid of Royston's nasty side.

Now it's serial £#%&!ger Jewell...

Triggs isn't dead, it was a wum

Unread 14-01-2011, 08:25 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Zvonimir Boban in midfield for the nutcase XI. The man helped kick off a civil war ffs
One of my all time fave players.

I've probably had a £#%&! over his beard tbh.

yhgr.

Unread 14-01-2011, 08:30 PM
mazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

Despite his recent record, somebody will give him another chance.
Played under SAF and Cloughie and was a great leader for UTD.
Plus in his first year at Sunderland he done decent. If Mowbray can continually get work......

Unread 14-01-2011, 08:31 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza
Despite his recent record, somebody will give him another chance.
Played under SAF and Cloughie and was a great leader for UTD.
Plus in his first year at Sunderland he done decent. If Mowbray can continually get work......
Agree with that - his time at Sunderland wasn't bad at all tbh.

It is just the sense that, as taff said, he doesn't actually *like* football that much!

Unread 14-01-2011, 08:53 PM
taff

Quote:

something he enjoys, if there is anything - boxing, horses, dogs, whatever

maybe he could do a coaching show on CBBC

fearne cotton: "that was a great shot jordan! what do you think roy?"

roy: "you're a @#%&! son. no £#%&!ing hunger for the game, it's all about the £#%&!ing blondes and rolex watches and all that me-me-me bullshit isn't it?"

fearne: "er, roy... he's only eight"

Unread 14-01-2011, 09:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

roy: "you're a @#%&! son. no £#%&!ing hunger for the game, it's all about the £#%&!ing blondes and rolex watches and all that me-me-me bullshit isn't it?"

Yhgr

Unread 15-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Agree with that - his time at Sunderland wasn't bad at all tbh.

It is just the sense that, as taff said, he doesn't actually *like* football that much!
Disagree, if anything he loves football too much but can't control his emotions.

If he could learn to channel his thoughts he would have a better chance of being a good manager.

He needs somebody more level headed like Giggsy next to him

Unread 15-01-2011, 09:31 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

get out of football ? ffs, the guy worked a miracle at sunderland, took them from championship relegation level to solid premiership in one season - stumbled a bit at ipswich (£#%&!ing ipswich) and because a few overpaid @#%&!s are crying because 'he looked at me funny his rep is through the floor.

its just journo shite. everyone forgets SAF cursing his players on the pitch at hampden after they'd won the cup?

only lillypution £#%&!tards knock roy

Unread 15-01-2011, 03:03 PM
King Julian

Quote:

nice one

Unread 15-01-2011, 05:39 PM
djsst

Don't write off Roy Keane, despite failure at Ipswich
Andrew Cole

I was disappointed for Roy Keane when he was dismissed as Ipswich Town manager last week, and I know Roy will be, too.

He moved his family the 180 miles or so from Cheshire in England's Northwest to Ipswich and he gave the job his all. He wanted to succeed. But he didn't and that will hurt him. Ipswich spent a lot of money and despite Roy leading his side to the semi-final of the Carling Cup, they still struggled in the Championship, one tier below the Premier League.

Roy was my captain for many years at Manchester United. He was a great, great player, a driven and passionate man who gives 100 per cent in whatever he does. He never, ever, shirked responsibility, protected his teammates and could be his own biggest critic. Many a time I saw Roy stand up in dressing room and criticise himself before he had a go at anyone else. He'd say: "I'm not doing it boys, but we all need to improve."

Of course he was doing it because he was brilliant; that is why he was captain of Manchester United. Winning was everything. He was a hard man and ultra-competitive.

He always ended up taking Quinton Fortune, the South African midfielder, out with ferocious tackles. The gaffer [Sir Alex Ferguson] saw one on a pre-season training camp and came over, telling Roy to calm down. Roy told him to keep his oar out. The manager abandoned training. The lads couldn't believe what they were seeing.

I had a good relationship with Roy, but not every player did. We didn't have a cross word. He knew my character and I knew his. I called him Schiz, short for schizophrenic, and got away with it, so he must have liked me

Roy took those values into management and I know because he took me to Sunderland, his first management job. He expected everything from his players and set standards similar to his own as a player. The problem was that none of the players were anything like as good as Roy had been.

He was a hard manager, too. But management is different to playing. You have to change.

Every player has a different personality and reacts differently to praise and criticism. Managers should take that into account. There also has to be a balance. Players have a lot of power these days. A good manager must make good players want to play well for him.

Roy ruled with a rod of iron and the players were petrified of him at Sunderland. They didn't dare answer back. I told Roy one day and he stared at me and asked: "Why are they scared of me?" You only had to see how he looked when he questioned me to see why they were scared of him.

Roy got Sunderland promoted to the Premier League. That made him a good manager and he showed an excellent knowledge of football, plus good coaching skills. He had passed all of his coaching badges and done really well in them, so it was interesting to see his management style.

Roy could be very tough, probably too tough. If a player was late for a bus then he was banished to the reserve team for weeks. I was late for one training session. I was coming up from Manchester every morning, over a two-hour drive. I used to allow plenty of time and would leave my home at 5.30am. There was a big crash on the motorway one day and I was late. There was nothing that I could do about it.

I received a letter in the post a few days where I was informed that I'd been fined a full week's wages. It was signed by Roy. I thought that was too harsh, the rules too rigid.

I left for Burnley on loan soon after. Roy's assistant told me to go and see the manager and he explained that Burnley had come in for me. I already knew that so it was a slightly surreal conversation because he knew that I knew it, too. He explained that it would be good as Burnley is a lot closer to Manchester than Sunderland. We shook hands and I left on good terms. And it can't have been easy for Roy dealing with someone who was once a teammate.

Roy called a few months later to say he wasn't renewing my contract. That was fine. My career was coming to an end and I understood his reasons. We've not spoken since, but there's no ill feeling whatsoever.

I think Roy will get another job in football. It's his life. People are slating him and writing him off, but if he makes a few tweaks to his style, I think he could make it to the top.

[email protected]
Closed Thread