United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It shows that it's unremarkable. That great captains in the past have demonstrated a propensity to lose their head and let their team down. I'm not saying Rooney is a great captain, but the axe to grind thing is the suggestion that he is an unfit captain or should lose the role on that basis. How suitable a captain he is, if you put much stock in such a role, is more reliant on his relationship with his teammates. I would assume LvG to have assessed that in making his decision.

Though of course the lack of alternatives could well be a factor in the whole thing. As could be a will to get the best out of Rooney after Moyes committed the club to him for the next five years.
it doesn't show anything of the sort, not that anyone said it was remarkable anyway.

i'm well aware that other players have been sent off and that some of them were captains ffs

if you want to go on and on about what LVG has or hasn't said all the time then you may want to look at what he's said about his reservations on rooney with the captaincy versus without it

above all though, if you want to talk about what the captain yesterday did in the context of that game and the season so far then fine, defend it.

i'd strip him of the 'burden' largely on the basis that he shouldn't have been given it anyway, but more importantly on the basis that his place in the side is not guaranteed - he's already apparently dropped as a striker remember, although again that'll be just something LvG said at the time rather than something he'll actually stick to - or even that he ever intended to be interpreted as such for that matter.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:05 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
i don't think he should be stripped of captaincy for getting sent off but i'm also not sure he would have done that if he wasn't captain

just like he wouldn't be running up and screaming at 18 year old lads after he's made the bigger mistake himself which has happened at least 3 times now

i'm not sure he knows what being a captain is apart from thinking it has to make you look like you have more passion and sacrifice. he felt it was his responsibility to take one for the team on saturday when actually his rash analysis and actions did quite the opposite

it should be considered a different point to that of his general form
Rooney has been shouting and bawling at defenders for the last 10 years... in a team with so few 'talkers' at present, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Truth is nothing has changed with Rooney's on pitch demeanour since the captaincy. Still, people are trying to draw conclusions and we're barely a month into the season.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
You'd think he had drop-kicked Downing in the face yesterday ffs.

If he had, it couldn't have made him much uglier tbf

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Stickman

Quote:
It's absolutely mental.

You'd think he had drop-kicked Downing in the face yesterday ffs.

It was a clumsy attempt to stop a dangerous attack. Hardly a hanging offence.
Tbf it was a right hack. Reminded me of his rush of blood for England in that qualifier, that sort of foul isn't exactly alien to Rooney, comes fairly natural to him.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it doesn't show anything of the sort, not that anyone said it was remarkable anyway.

i'm well aware that other players have been sent off and that some of them were captains ffs

if you want to go on and on about what LVG has or hasn't said all the time then you may want to look at what he's said about his reservations on rooney with the captaincy versus without it

above all though, if you want to talk about what the captain yesterday did in the context of that game and the season so far then fine, defend it.

i'd strip him of the 'burden' largely on the basis that he shouldn't have been given it anyway, but more importantly on the basis that his place in the side is not guaranteed - he's already apparently dropped as a striker remember, although again that'll be just something LvG said at the time rather than something he'll actually stick to - or even that he ever intended to be interpreted as such for that matter.
Are you arguing with yourself at the end there

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:10 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Tbf it was a right hack. Reminded me of his rush of blood for England in that qualifier, that sort of foul isn't exactly alien to Rooney, comes fairly natural to him.
you talking about Moldova game...that was far more vicious and petulant from Rooney than yesterday, nothing like it in fact he was trying to foul Downing and get a yellow but he over-egged it

why wasn't that West ham @#%&! booked in the first half for chopping down Shaw when he broke clear:shakehead: £#%&!ing joke

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I think it was clearly an attempt to take a yellow and stop an attack, rather than a kick out for no reason. He just made an absolute mess of it, the result being it looked far worse than he intended. IMO.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:12 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
I think it was clearly an attempt to take a yellow and stop an attack, rather than a kick out for no reason. He just made an absolute mess of it, the result being it looked far worse than he intended. IMO.
exactly....the £#%&!ing hysteria on here re Rooney.....£#%&!ing joke

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
As pissed as you were with Keane for getting himself sent off in Porto for an entirely needless stamp on Vitor Baia?

He's an idiot and it was an utterly stupid thing to do. But it happens.
Keane missed almost an entire season for kicking out at Haaland, returning to get himself suspended for the CL s/f 2nd leg

he then got sent off in the FA Cup s/f in 99 almost costing United the game and got himself suspended for the CL final as well. He also limped out of the FA Cup final having got himself arrested that week.

he then scored an og v Real and missed a sitter at the other end in 2000

in 2004 he got himself suspended for the 2nd leg against Porto for standing on the keeper at the end of the 1st leg.

well done wayne rooney, i take it all back.

edit: dortmund was the season before his injury, i know that

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Rooney has been shouting and bawling at defenders for the last 10 years... in a team with so few 'talkers' at present, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Truth is nothing has changed with Rooney's on pitch demeanour since the captaincy. Still, people are trying to draw conclusions and we're barely a month into the season.
that's simply not true Carlo

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Are you arguing with yourself at the end there
i'm inspired by s/side's insider posts on what LvG is thinking tbh

thought i'd start highlighting some of the contradictions

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Keane missed almost an entire season for kicking out at Haaland, returning to get himself suspended for the CL s/f 2nd leg

he then got sent off in the FA Cup s/f in 99 almost costing United the game and got himself suspended for the CL final as well. He also limped out of the FA Cup final having got himself arrested that week.

he then scored an og v Real and missed a sitter at the other end in 2000

in 2004 he got himself suspended for the 2nd leg against Porto for standing on the keeper at the end of the 1st leg.

well done wayne rooney, i take it all back.
The selfish @#%&!ery at Sunderland against McAteer stands out as well. Gave Phil Neville a terrible public %@#$&!ing for making a risky tackle while on a yellow then 2 mins later sent off for a sly elbow.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

It clearly does. There's a long history of great captains and inspirational figures losing sight of the collective by letting their team down needlessly. Keane, Eric. We saw Vieira do it at Old Trafford with van Nistelrooy. Zidane has done it in a World Cup final ffs.

So it doesn't appear to reflect a player's ability to inspire his side and serve as captain. At least in the eyes of their managers.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:18 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The selfish @#%&!ery at Sunderland against McAteer stands out as well. Gave Phil Neville a terrible public %@#$&!ing for making a risky tackle while on a yellow then 2 mins later sent off for a sly elbow.
tbf it was McAteer so we can probably let him off

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
It clearly does. There's a long history of great captains and inspirational figures losing sight of the collective by letting their team down needlessly. Keane, Eric. We saw Vieira do it at Old Trafford with van Nistelrooy. Zidane has done it in a World Cup final ffs.

So it doesn't appear to reflect a player's ability to inspire his side and serve as captain. At least in the eyes of their managers.
if you say so.

name a single time any United captain has ever been sent off for doing what rooney did yesterday in a similar context - match position, area of the pitch, circumstances of the team etc

I bet you can't come up with even a single example

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
that's simply not true Carlo
Billy it is

The two things the reverse Rawk crew now cling to ? Him shouting at teammates and a rash challenge yesterday..

He's been doing this for years, a decade in fact...

And as for him being the most out of form striker people just making things up.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Stickman

Quote:
I would agree with the initial intent, but then it's changes from cynical to a foul of 'violent' nature when you kick someone that high up, Ie fairly close to the knee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
exactly....the £#%&!ing hysteria on here re Rooney.....£#%&!ing joke
Personally I'm talking about it as an isolated incident, when I got round to seeing the foul I was surprised there had even been debate as to whether or not he should have been sent off.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
if you say so.

name a single time any United captain has ever been sent off for doing what rooney did yesterday in a similar context - match position, area of the pitch, circumstances of the team etc

I bet you can't come up with even a single example
You've already given worse examples. At least Rooney's madness had a function - to stop the attack.

Others have simply lost it. And in bigger games.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
tbf it was McAteer so we can probably let him off
A little like the Shearer one to be honest, if he has to do it at least do it properly.

Remember the year he had the crazy fanatics beard, made him look even more psychotic than usual? Wish I could grow a beard like that.

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Billy it is

The two things the reverse Rawk crew now cling to ? Him shouting at teammates and a rash challenge yesterday..

He's been doing this for years, a decade in fact...

And as for him being the most out of form striker people just making things up.
Come on pal. He shouted at an 18 year old boy. 18 for gods sake!

He's an absolute monster.
Closed Thread