United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
10 years ago() today Rooney made his Utd debut against Fenerbache. What a night that was, the hype leading up to it was insane. Intensified afterwards as well, most of did think he would be go on to the level that Ronaldo and Messi are now.
I thought we'd got ourselves a new Sparky. I've turned out not far wrong. People shouldn't belittle that as a comparison either - it's a compliment to rooney. They don't have exactly the same attributes, with rooney's passing a lot better and sparky's hold-up play and technique far better, but their main ones are very similar, especially their finishing. Yesterday's was another example.

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:06 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I thought we'd got ourselves a new Sparky. I've turned out not far wrong. People shouldn't belittle that as a comparison either - it's a compliment to rooney. They don't have exactly the same attributes, with rooney's passing a lot better and sparky's hold-up play and technique far better, but their main ones are very similar, especially their finishing. Yesterday's was another example.
The sending off?

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
The sending off?
is that the complete post or are you editing?

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:10 PM
believe

Quote:
is that the complete post or are you editing?
Compl

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
I would say that Rooney is a better finisher and at his peak was a lot quicker that Hughes ever was. The aggression in their game and the penchant for the spectacular are similar and perhaps that their game was better suited to complimenting another rather than being the leader or focus. Cantona for Hughes and Ronaldo/Van Nistelrooy for Rooney

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:16 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
I would say that Rooney is a better finisher and at his peak was a lot quicker that Hughes ever was. The aggression in their game and the penchant for the spectacular are similar and perhaps that their game was better suited to complimenting another rather than being the leader or focus. Cantona for Hughes and Ronaldo/Van Nistelrooy for Rooney
<throb>If you'd actually read my post you'd know I wasn't comparing Hughes and Rooney. Rather I was illustrating some people's inability to grasp basic comprehension.</throb>

Unread 28-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Is their finishing really that different? The way Rooney sweeps those balls in from the right is very reminiscent of Sparky. Rooney's probably better in the air, Sparky far more imposing physically; Sparky had superior shooting, Rooney more likely to finish combination play... Rooney's more prolific a finisher obviously, but Sparky was never the team's main goalscorer and still managed 150+

Anyway, the point is that that was who I was minded of by Rooney's debut

Unread 28-09-2014, 05:44 PM
barrington avenue

are you really comparing that scouse mess to Mark Hughes?

Rooney could not shine his boots..Hughes could control a ball thats just dropped 50 yards out the sky on his knee better that Rooney could with his hands

the most ridiculous comparison ive ever heard

Unread 28-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington avenue
are you really comparing that scouse mess to Mark Hughes?

Rooney could not shine his boots..Hughes could control a ball thats just dropped 50 yards out the sky on his knee better that Rooney could with his hands

the most ridiculous comparison ive ever heard
is it? i mean really? tibs said on this very thread that most expected rooney to go on to the level of messi and ronaldo. making your post absolute bullshit. i £#%&!ing hate bullshitters like you.

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
not sure what the point of arguing that it's ok cus other players have got sent off is tbh? the context is the game yesterday off the back of last week and the injury crisis we have atm.

and the only vaguely similar one is probably solskjaer's anyway. that wasn't 65m from our goal in game#6 when we had cover and were in the lead with half an hour left though, it was after chasing back to the edge of our box late in the game to stop us going behind during a run-in.

as far as claiming that being less than impressed with the captain for dropping his team mates in the shit like that yesterday amounts to nothing more than 'having an axe to grind'? no, the shape is still wrong but rooney played pretty well [1st half] yesterday until he lost his head, nearly cost us the game and got himself suspended, apparently for 3 matches.
It shows that it's unremarkable. That great captains in the past have demonstrated a propensity to lose their head and let their team down. I'm not saying Rooney is a great captain, but the axe to grind thing is the suggestion that he is an unfit captain or should lose the role on that basis. How suitable a captain he is, if you put much stock in such a role, is more reliant on his relationship with his teammates. I would assume LvG to have assessed that in making his decision.

Though of course the lack of alternatives could well be a factor in the whole thing. As could be a will to get the best out of Rooney after Moyes committed the club to him for the next five years.

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:17 PM
andyroo

I wouldn't ever say any red card would be a reason to sack the captain... But a backlash from Saturday is understandable in the circumstances, we had to get the result by hook or by crook in the light of the start we'd had and particularly the Leicester game, and he made it all that much harder. I'm pretty pissed off with him tbh

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I wouldn't ever say any red card would be a reason to sack the captain... But a backlash from Saturday is understandable in the circumstances, we had to get the result by hook or by crook in the light of the start we'd had and particularly the Leicester game, and he made it all that much harder. I'm pretty pissed off with him tbh
As pissed as you were with Keane for getting himself sent off in Porto for an entirely needless stamp on Vitor Baia?

He's an idiot and it was an utterly stupid thing to do. But it happens.

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:25 PM
carlosartorial

The amount of abuse Rooney gets on here has become pretty deranged now.

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:29 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
As pissed as you were with Keane for getting himself sent off in Porto for an entirely needless stamp on Vitor Baia?

He's an idiot and it was an utterly stupid thing to do. But it happens.
I was pretty pissed off with Keano tbh

The frustrating thing is that Rooney had been playing pretty well too. His goal was a beauty.

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:32 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

The frustrating thing is that Rooney had been playing pretty well too. His goal was a beauty.
yep. his best performance of the season.

I think the captaincy is generally an overrated concept, but rooney certainly isn't one.

that's not even a criticism. He just shouldn't be captain.

shockingly few options though. Still would've gone with rvp. more intelligent, more mature. I think he'll get it on this short term basis.

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:38 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
'now'

ffs he's been getting it for years

all very

Unread 28-09-2014, 06:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

That's my point. I was fuming with him for that. He got off lightly because everyone focused on the disallowed goal in the second leg rather than his suspension. But it shows that even the greatest of captains lose sight of the collective when their heads go.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him out, especially against Chelsea. Lots of people anticipating or advocating a straight swap with Mata. I think Di Maria being given more of a free role and Carrick shoring up the midfield may be more likely.

Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
It's absolutely mental.

You'd think he had drop-kicked Downing in the face yesterday ffs.

It was a clumsy attempt to stop a dangerous attack. Hardly a hanging offence.

£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Quote:

be interesting to see how big LvG's balls really are - if he lets Rooney keep the captaincy then they're not very big.
state of that post

Unread 28-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Billy Baroo

i don't think he should be stripped of captaincy for getting sent off but i'm also not sure he would have done that if he wasn't captain

just like he wouldn't be running up and screaming at 18 year old lads after he's made the bigger mistake himself which has happened at least 3 times now

i'm not sure he knows what being a captain is apart from thinking it has to make you look like you have more passion and sacrifice. he felt it was his responsibility to take one for the team on saturday when actually his rash analysis and actions did quite the opposite

it should be considered a different point to that of his general form
Closed Thread