United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Rooney is the new Ruud. Without all the goals and with more attitude.

Whenever we build the side around him we win £#%&! all (09/10, 11/12, last season). Bin the scouse curse.
Who would take him now though?

Nobody who could afford half his wages?

Unread 24-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Rooney is the new Ruud. Without all the goals and with more attitude.

Whenever we build the side around him we win £#%&! all (09/10, 11/12, last season). Bin the scouse curse.
I'm a critic of him now, but citing 09/10 is nonsense. It wasn't his fault that the Valencia and Owen were brought in after we lost Tevez and Ronaldo. He stepped up to the task of being our main goalscorer very well and we would have had a much better chance of winning the league and CL if he hadn't been injured in April.

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
I'm a critic of him now, but citing 09/10 is nonsense. It wasn't his fault that the Valencia and Owen were brought in after we lost Tevez and Ronaldo. He stepped up to the task of being our main goalscorer very well and we would have had a much better chance of winning the league and CL if he hadn't been injured in April.
We'd have certainly won the league in 2010. One goal away at Blackburn was the difference. He'd have scored it. Us and Chelsea were pretty relentless at the end of that season tbh. £#%&!ing Gerrard though :shakehead:

I don't know about the CL. I forget who Bayern played in the semi finals.

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
We'd have certainly won the league in 2010. One goal away at Blackburn was the difference. He'd have scored it. Us and Chelsea were pretty relentless at the end of that season tbh. £#%&!ing Gerrard though :shakehead:

I don't know about the CL. I forget who Bayern played in the semi finals.
He scored something like 34 goals in 42 games, which is a fantastic return.

They played Lyon.

With Barca out of the picture, I would have backed us to win it.

In the league, yes that Blackburn game was a killer. Did we have two one on one opportunities that game? I think one was Valencia and the other was Berbatov.

Everyone talks about the home leg in that Bayern tie, but for me the biggest £#%&! up was Neville's idiotic handball towards the end of the first leg away in Munich. He did some very stupid things in his career here.

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
He scored something like 34 goals in 42 games, which is a fantastic return.

They played Lyon.

With Barca out of the picture, I would have backed us to win it.

In the league, yes that Blackburn game was a killer. Did we have two one on one opportunities that game? I think one was Valencia and the other was Berbatov.

Everyone talks about the home leg in that Bayern tie, but for me the biggest £#%&! up was Neville's idiotic handball towards the end of the first leg away in Munich. He did some very stupid things in his career here.
Yeah we would have beaten Lyon I reckon. Could have beaten Inter in the final too.

Valencia's one on one was the biggest chance, clean through and with Macheda to his left. Either pass it or lift it over Robinson. Berbatov had a couple of decent chances in the second half. Blackburn Didn't really threaten.

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
Yeah we would have beaten Lyon I reckon. Could have beaten Inter in the final too.

Valencia's one on one was the biggest chance, clean through and with Macheda to his left. Either pass it or lift it over Robinson. Berbatov had a couple of decent chances in the second half. Blackburn Didn't really threaten.
Blackburn had nothing to play for (no Europe, safe from relegation), yet were time wasting at 0-0. Best league in the world

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Valencia supplied a shitload of his goals that season you mug

We'd have had a much better chance of winning the league if the team was set-up so that when he was out they still had a plan other than rooney to valencia to rooney.

we'd also have had a much better chance if berbatov hadn't been £#%&!ed over in all the big games by the manager, who laughably left rooney on to hobble around against bayern at old trafford instead while we fell apart

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Valencia supplied a shitload of his goals that season you mug

We'd have had a much better chance of winning the league if the team was set-up so that when he was out they still had a plan other than rooney to valencia to rooney.

we'd also have had a much better chance if berbatov hadn't been £#%&!ed over in all the big games by the manager, who laughably left rooney on to hobble around against bayern at old trafford instead while we fell apart
I was referring to Valencia in the context of the player he is now, rather than as he was then. I also meant that those alone were extremely poor buys for a club that, up til then, was one of the best two in the world.

Given the way we utilised him, buying Berbatov was the beginning of a series of disastrous buys by Fergie. Berbatov failed against Blackburn though, I'm not sure how you can blame Fergie for that.

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:40 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
I was referring to Valencia in the context of the player he is now, rather than as he was then. I also meant that those alone were extremely poor buys for a club that, up til then, was one of the best two in the world.

Given the way we utilised him, buying Berbatov was the beginning of a series of disastrous buys by Fergie. Berbatov failed against Blackburn though, I'm not sure how you can blame Fergie for that.
Let me explain it to you in the world of throb and co; during Rooney's decade at the Club the 5 League titles, Champions League triumph & World Champions trophy were all won in spite of him, all the failings inbetween were entirely down to him.
The 68 goals he scored over the 2009/10 & 2011/12 season didn't count because we lost both league titles on the final day on GD & by a single point.
If only we'd have built the side around Berbatov (where is he playing these days any way?)

anyway, we can all relax now because we've got a tough disciplinarian at the helm who will soon bring Rooney down to earth with a bump.

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Let me explain it to you in the world of throb and co; during Rooney's decade at the Club the 5 League titles, Champions League triumph & World Champions trophy were all won in spite of him, all the failings inbetween were entirely down to him.
The 68 goals he scored over the 2009/10 & 2011/12 season didn't count because we lost both league titles on the final day on GD & by a single point.
If only we'd have built the side around Berbatov (where is he playing these days any way?)

anyway, we can all relax now because we've got a tough disciplinarian at the helm who will soon bring Rooney down to earth with a bump.

Throb, mauled.

Lovely2C

Welcome back throb, the intellectual wing of 'the reverse Rawk crew'

Hating Rooney that much they come across more Scouse than the lad himself...

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Throb, mauled.

Lovely2C

Welcome back throb, the intellectual wing of 'the reverse Rawk crew'

Hating Rooney that much they come across more Scouse than the lad himself...
the biggest problem with Rooney is that its incredibly frustrating that he hasn't gone on to be as good as we all thought he would

its impossible to argue that he has been anywhere near as good in the last 2 years and he should be coming into his absolute prime in terms of age, experience and physicality

but he's gone backward

i'm starting to really worry that he will be another in a line of english strikers who looked world beaters as kids and just cannot maintain that quality or consistency over their careers such as owen and fowler

he used to be our main man in the big games but rarely delivers now when up against the very best teams

other players of his era have got better and better but sadly i think he is in decline

Unread 24-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Bunker Buster

Who from Rooneys 'era' has got better and better...?

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
of a similar age - ronnie, suarez, thomas mueller, robben, ribery etc

he was always considered world class and in their bracket when younger but i'd be hard pushed to put him alongside that sort of player over past 2 years

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
That does seem concerning IMO. The total drop in pace and tempo when Di Maria went off against Leicester was startling.

You do wonder that if the stronger teams can do a job on Di Maria and keep him out of the game, does it render us completely impotent in terms of speed and drive? We seem to be a team that will rely so heavily on him to start (and often finish) attacks.

It's one of the reasons why I'd like to see Januzaj playing more, ideally in a wide role, as he is a player that can inject pace, take people on, and pose a direct threat with his dribbling from all angles. I'm not sure I like this idea of developing him into a striker. Use his pace from the wings, ffs. Add that to Di Maria rampaging through the middle, and we have two very dangerous outlets of penetrative attacks.
Selling Welbeck, Kagawa and binning Nani has left the squad very limited in terms of pace and ball carrying ability. I think Kagawa specifically could have greatly benefited from someone like Di Maria running hard from deep. He was so successful at Dortmund because he had tremendous energy and movement around him, options and tempo instead of static play. The more entertaining football we are seeing this season is almost entirely down to Di Maria.

Van Persie may have to be dropped, he is not quite right, not working hard enough to close down from the front, very sluggish in everything he is doing. It could be a post World Cup malaise which a lot of players tend to have.

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:07 PM
dragflick

Quote:

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Ronaldo and Rooney are not from the same era

Ribery ?

FFs billy..

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:11 PM
dragflick

Quote:

Ribery ?

FFs billy..

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:

Ribery ?

FFs billy..
oh you're right, ronnie is a year older

that isn't a similar age is it, bunks?

i know ribery is that bit older but my point is that those players continued to improve, become more and more influential and drive their teams to win the big gmaes, be the difference in the critical moments of games

i just don't see that with him anymore. do you think he's improving?

his touch has got worse, he is less mobile, doesn't really go past people anymore and he gives the ball away more

i still think he is a very good player and currently it would be van persie that made way for falcao for me

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Bunker Buster

He isn't improving....I cannot deny that

Unread 24-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
He isn't improving....I cannot deny that
and can i tickle a little u-turn on the rooney ronaldo era given their ages?

come on now, for old times
Closed Thread