jem's kind streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
We'll have to be more patient in the first leg
please don't let fergie see this.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:11 PM
borsuk

Default i really really really hope fergie was watching tonight

because when bayern sat off them and tried to keep it tight milan picked them open twice. when bayern upped the tempo, pushed milan back and went all out for the win they looked far more likely to score.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem's kind streak
please don't let fergie see this.
We will have to be more patient. Milan may not be great at the back but in a big game like this, they will be well-drilled and know exactly what they have to do. They will sit deep and play for a 0-0. They will not come out enough for United to hit them on the break as we did against Roma. They may lack plenty of things, but they and their manager will not be as naive as Spalletti and Roma were.

We cannot get too obsessed with scoring early. They'll be well organised and failure to do so could tip the psychological advantage in their favour. A 1-0 win would be a great result, so we need to be positive without getting carried away. Like I say, their tame goal threat is a bonus in this respect.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
jem's kind streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
because when bayern sat off them and tried to keep it tight milan picked them open twice. when bayern upped the tempo, pushed milan back and went all out for the win they looked far more likely to score.
fergie was watching. he looked distinctly unhappy.

he hates the thought of being naive.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Tropical

Default True.

Quote:
Like I say, their tame goal threat is a bonus in this respect.
Unlike us, they haven't got one of the least playable young footballers in the world running at the opposition and terrorising the defende... um, hang on.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
I didn't think Bayern did stand off them, to be honest. Bayern's overall performance was poor (like they have been all season) but they had the better of what was a poor game until Milan scored.

I think they just lost their concentration for a few vital minutes and Milan punished them, but Bayern's overall display was pretty toothless. They didn't have the attacking players to hurt Milan and - van Bommel aside - nobody looked like really making a difference tonight.

Like I said before, I think Bayern gave Milan a very easy ride.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
Unlike us, they haven't got one of the least playable young footballers in the world running at the opposition and terrorising the defende... um, hang on.
Kaka is the only reason I used the word 'tame' instead of 'non-existent'.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:29 PM
jem's kind streak

Quote:
I think Bayern gave Milan a very easy ride.
in both games.

I just hope it wasn't one of those occasions where both teams looked shit because they're both so good. y'know, like arsenal v united.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Tropical

Default So if I understand your argument,

Quote:
Kaka is the only reason I used the word 'tame' instead of 'non-existent'.
because their goal threat is "tame", that is all the more reason we should approach them cautiously and not have a go or look to score early.

What would you recommend if their goal threat was, um, not "tame"?

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
because their goal threat is "tame", that is all the more reason we should approach them cautiously and not have a go or look to score early.
I'm not saying we should approach them with an overly cautious attitude, I'm saying we should not become obsessed with scoring early or recording a big scoreline. If you do that then you only set yourself up for a tense evening if they manage to shut us out comfortably for the first half hour. When I say we may have to be patient I mean we may not have a choice, as Milan will be playing for a 0-0. They won't be half as open as Roma were.

Quote:
What would you recommend if their goal threat was, um, not "tame"?
Their goal threat will be tame, I expect, because of their approach to the game. I would imagine they will be relying on Kaka, Gilardino or Inzaghi to nick one. Given that the latter pair are shite, I think we can be relatively confident about not letting any in. If they were coming here to attack, they'd be leaving more gaps at the back and I'd be more in favour of getting at them.

Unread 11-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Tropical

Default OK,

Quote:
I'm not saying we should approach them with an overly cautious attitude, I'm saying we should not become obsessed with scoring early or recording a big scoreline. If you do that then you only set yourself up for a tense evening if they manage to shut us out comfortably for the first half hour. When I say we may have to be patient I mean we may not have a choice, as Milan will be playing for a 0-0. They won't be half as open as Roma were.
I see what you're getting at there.

But that
Quote:
Their goal threat will be tame, I expect, because of their approach to the game. I would imagine they will be relying on Kaka, Gilardino or Inzaghi to nick one. Given that the latter pair are shite, I think we can be relatively confident about not letting any in. If they were coming here to attack, they'd be leaving more gaps at the back and I'd be more in favour of getting at them.
doesn't answer my question.

Which is, if you rated their forward line - regardless of their attacking intent or lack of it - how would your recommended approach differ from the one above?

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I see what you're getting at there.

But thatdoesn't answer my question.

Which is, if you rated their forward line - regardless of their attacking intent or lack of it - how would your recommended approach differ from the one above?
If they had Eto'o upfront, you mean?

Well, I did say it was a bonus. I don't think it would change the approach too much, but I think the weak nature of their frontline should give us more confidence that the goal(s) we score will be the only ones on the evening.

I think United are well capable of playing a calm, purposeful game and have the good balance between quality attackers and solid defenders to get a win and keep a clean sheet.

If Milan get to a position – in either leg – where they are chasing the tie, that will be the time to punish their old men with our pace on the break.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Tropical

Default Fair enough.

I still reckon we should get right at the @#%&!s. They're good at containment and nicking something. We aren't. And they'll only be as good at it as we let them be.

But I suspect Fergie will agree with you.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:11 AM
borsuk

Quote:
But I suspect Fergie will agree with you.
i suspect you're right. but the team will not forget last night any sooner that we will. and they may just continue on regardless of the 'keep it tight' instructions.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:21 AM
S/Side.Red

Just checked and Milan have scored less goals in Serie A this season than Atalanta; 7th highest scorers in the league. It could all come down to Kaka.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Grimson

I think as long as the players and management don't underestimate Milan, we'll be fine.

Unread 12-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I think as long as the players and management don't underestimate Milan, we'll be fine.

Unread 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM
edwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
If we have a go we'll terrify them. I suspect Milan will be more scared of us this time than last time. If Fergie shit's it with 4-6-0 we'll go out to the odd goal.

Yes, they took the piss last time by not having a keeper in both legs.
At least I don't think they did. If they did, he never touched the £#%&!ing ball

Unread 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin
Yes, they took the piss last time by not having a keeper in both legs.
At least I don't think they did. If they did, he never touched the £#%&!ing ball
we took the piss by not having a keeper in the first leg too!

Unread 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
El Calafate

Milan won't be as naive as Roma. they'll of seen our game and will shut up shop and try and knick one on the counter. they'll play 1 up front with Kaka in a free role. everyone else will be told to get behind the ball. even if we score, i still think they'll defend. nft.
Closed Thread