United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flix
Did we not lose the first game to Sheff Utd - when Brain Dean scored the first goal in the premier league, then lost again to Everton, and then drew with, I think, Crystal Palace (although it might have been Southampton), when Dion Dublin scored. £#%&! me I've got a shit memory, though to be fair I was £#%&!ed on beer & drugs in Crete at the time. Anyway, we had 1 point after 3 games
Yeah, Dublin got the winner at The Dell and then broke his leg against Palace. Eric signed the following month.

Ah, moderately happy days, eh?

Unread 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
"Denis, keep playing football"
That was on the "Champions" video wasn't it.

Unread 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
That was on the "Champions" video wasn't it.

My memory fails but

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
koppas

Quote:
My memory fails but
Yeah it was. SAF on the touchline screaming then it cuts to the opening goal.

I remember I bought "Captains Log" too - Steve Bruce's video diary. See his kid and Schmeichel's kid. "Casper Peter Schmeichel". Bitter little @#%&!!

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:

I remember I bought "Captains Log" too - Steve Bruce's video diary. See his kid and Schmeichel's kid. "Casper Peter Schmeichel". Bitter little @#%&!!

I could tell a story but I wont

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:

Oh the memories

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
koppas

90s > 00s.

nft.

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
90s > 00s.

nft.
Old division 2 > than most things

Honestly

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:20 PM
The Return of JC

"Denis, Keep playing football"

That's it? That's the advice from the best manager of all time, keep playing football? Was Irwin flirting with the possibility of playing Basketball or tiddlywinks or something?....

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Mr_Ed

I think the thing was that, as part of the football league, money got split out reasonably well and all the clubs benefitted. The objective of the premier league was to have a bigger share of the 'pot' and the football league could go to hell... with the lie that 'Team England' would benefit

The very first league table had Arsenal in 19th and us in 20th as memory serves

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
koppas

Quote:
Old division 2 > than most things

Honestly
I can imagine.

Part of me wants to see United fall horribly and spend a year or two in the lower divisions. I have been spoilt all my life when it comes to United.

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
I can imagine.

Part of me wants to see United fall horribly and spend a year or two in the lower divisions. I have been spoilt all my life when it comes to United.
We all have koppas. We have had unparalelled (sp) success since 1991 so that's 17 years now. We may never know a period like this again.

Unread 09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
We all have koppas. We have had unparalelled (sp) success since 1991 so that's 17 years now. We may never know a period like this again.
Yet you wouldn't know it to come on here at times.

Unread 09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
i don't know, some of my missus' periods seem to last well beyond a decade

Unread 10-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Tumescent Throb

basically all the fighters got nicked, got old or got loved up

England, Pavarotti, an evening with Gary Lineker and Gazza's tears happened

Lord Taylor said plastic seats were nice

The chattering classes loved it; football was in vogue

Murdoch seized the moment

And the working classes stuck a dish on their walls and the money was used to price them out of the stadiums

Hey ho

Unread 10-08-2008, 12:11 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Yeah, Dublin got the winner at The Dell and then broke his leg against Palace. Eric signed the following month.

Remember that like it was yesterday.

Good times.

Unread 10-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Sparky***

i remember when the premier league first started, people saying "it won't last" , "it's shite" and all the rest.

"alive and kickiiiiiiiing"

Unread 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC

I remember when dublin broke his leg and the press were all crowded round his bed asking him loads of questions... wouldn't happen in this day and age would it.
Closed Thread